Fling Thinkin' 2013

morgansmith

I think I posted in a status update, it was somewhere, my 1/4 scale of last years fling arrived! I am so excited but still can't think of what color theme and siding style to use for a 'perfect tiny cottage' of some sort.

The contest this year that offers 1/2 scale as an option would be quite appealing if I had the time. Having to stay with 1" scale when I just don't have the room is challenging.

I am addicted to Greenleaf and the fling. But I want a contest in 1/2 scale, bad. 1/4 scale would make me even happier but I think that's an even less likely possibility. I see alot of people speaking up and wanting 1/2 scale. Please, speak louder :) My poor tiny RL house needs tiny dh's.

I saw a McKinley on Craig's List and wished it wasn't too big. The Victorianna would be awesome! I've always thought how the Fling would be perfect for a 1/2 scale release of a former 1" scale only house.

I looked at those pictures awhile back of the Spring Fling entries. Just wonderful! I don't think I would necessarily enter the contest with it, but if they have a really cute 1/2 scale building I would love to just try building it. The prices are usually pretty good for these contest builds, which would be tempting.

The spring fling is a once a year contest Greenleaf does. It will be announced in April? March? Brain's fadin here :) It's always a ton of fun. We all have a topic going and chat back and forth about our builds using code words and mystery. It's great fun to race to completion together. We all love to see who the bigger winners are and everyone who completes the contest actually wins. They get a quarter scale version of the contest kit. Sorta kinda my favorite part as I love smaller scales :)

Hi - newbie Kay here... What is the spring fling? I looked up the 2012 one but when I put in 2013 it came up blank. Also wondering about the Creatin' Contest?

The Spring Fling is Greenleaf's annual contest. They make a special kit for it. It is usually announced around the first day of spring. The deadline has changed the last few years, so we'll have to see what it is this year when it's announced.

The Creatin' Contest is a contest put on by HBS (Hobby Builder's Supply - miniatures.com). I believe the kit is usually released for shipping in Feb-March, and the deadline is mid-December.

...I saw a McKinley on Craig's List and wished it wasn't too big. The Victorianna would be awesome! I've always thought how the Fling would be perfect for a 1/2 scale release of a former 1" scale only house.

The McKinley is made to hang on a wall...

I had been in and out of the hosp. for 3years and had to retire. After not doing miniatures for more years then i care to mention. I saw last years Spring fling and did it. Of course I didn't win(everyone is so professorial) but I did win.....I won getting back to a hobby I love. Everyone should try the Spring Fling. Greenleaf makes it affordable and the forum is great with ideas and help.

After this rant, Kay when it comes out, please try it.

Gail :bear:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I"ll be able to enter this year. Each year I get the kit but don't always get to enter it.

I've spent the last 2 weeks redoing part of a bedroom into a children's craft center so I can have my studio back.

I won't have an excuse if the table is clear and no one else is working in it.

I still like 1:12 scale though because my hands are so bad it's too hard with the smaller sizes.

I can barely do the larger ones. Plus it can go with everything else I already have.

I'd love to create my own town. hahaha

Oh and the rest of that bedroom got redone too with fresh paint and borders, etc. It's now very "princess-y" in purples, pinks and flowers and fairies. Lots of fun.

• Like 1

I don't expect to enter this year as I've just started a scratch build project. only a room box but it will surely take me a loooong time. I will however be following the Spring Fling thread avidly, its always so much fun.

Did someone mention spring?!? i am soooo ready for that to happen, really, really longing for a spring with a fling LOL... We have had below freezing temps for a long while now with around 5-7 inches of snow to that and it is getting a bit boring so to speak. Spring Fling can't come early enough in my book!

Hugs

Last year the deadline for Spring Fling was in July and the year before as well. You have about three months to complete the project. Then, over five months for the Creatin' Contest if you wish to enter that.

Each year, the new Spring Fling kit is revealed, a little at a time, over what seems like a painfully long amount of time. Once the final reveal takes place we all begin the process of planning and bringing to life the project we see. Past contest photos show that every kit so far, with perhaps the exception of the first year (a garden bench/trellis, not a building), has had the ability to be interpreted countless ways.

We can bash all we want or not at all. We can be silly or serious. We can go simple or extravagant. We can go wherever inspiration leads us. And the whole time, we can be connected to the forum sharing thoughts, dropping hints even posting little peeks. It is an experience not a competition. I think that is the most important fact.

I don't expect to enter this year as I've just started a scratch build project.

Aw-w-w Jo, you have to enter - we can't have a proper SF without wondering what is happening across the pond from you !!

We need yours too!!!

You can do both - maybe they will be compatible projects - even - can you tell I'm groveling?

Aw-w-w Jo, you have to enter - we can't have a proper SF without wondering what is happening across the pond from you !!

We need yours too!!!

You can do both - maybe they will be compatible projects - even - can you tell I'm groveling?

So nice of you to say so Selkie but I can't afford to do 2 builds this year. I will be watching and following though - and you my dear girl MUST enter this year.