Your thoughts - stairs or no stairs..

Patsea

I'm toying with the idea of putting in a small spiral staircase in my Fairfield to get from second to third floor. I see someone suggested an outside staircase and I'll have to study to see where I'd put it. Thanks for the ideas.

After looking at the GL half scale houses, I've decided that I would go with the Van Buren - but not until later this year. If I get a new project now, the other things that are 1/2 finished will not get done. I'm bad!

I would like to take the stairs in the Van Buren that are on second floor and move them to the first floor and recut the ceiling/floor to have the stairs go in the direction that I want. Then I would move the divider on the second floor more to the left side and put the stairs from the first floor in the hallway. The smaller room could be the bathroom, and then you would be able to see the set of French doors that open to the balcony. With the stairs the way they are in the picture, you can hardly see the French doors at all. This would make the hallway bigger and I would be able to put some cute piece of furniture in there and plants on the balcony so you could see them. I know the room on the left would be a lot smaller, but for a bathroom it would work. Okay - just day dreaming!

• Like 1

I definitely vote for some form of stairs, whether illusion or a staircase. Depending on the style, you could do a spiral staircase to save space. Or, and this is very out-of-the-box, an "elevator" if your house is bigger.

I've also seen that done with a false wall with door and picture of a bathroom, to put in a bathroom where there was no room for one.

I have to have stairs, or the illusion thereof. For my wall-hanging house I did the fake-wall on the back because it was too small to waste space on a stairway. I put in an "elevator" and then marked a bathroom door on the back wall too. Pix are in my gallery ...

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=3054

I made a foam-core wall insert, so I could cut out the elevator and bathroom doors and recess them a little. That was a perfect fix for that small house. For a bigger house you could still use the illusion against a wall, that would take less space than an actual stairway.

• Like 2

I have to have stairs, or the illusion thereof. For my wall-hanging house I did the fake-wall on the back because it was too small to waste space on a stairway. I put in an "elevator" and then marked a bathroom door on the back wall too. Pix are in my gallery ... http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=3054'>http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=3054 I made a foam-core wall insert, so I could cut out the elevator and bathroom doors and recess them a little. That was a perfect fix for that small house. For a bigger house you could still use the illusion against a wall, that would take less space than an actual stairway.
Nice ideas! I especially like the window "views."

The Beacon Hill has a kitchen, formal dining room and a parlor all in the same floor. You also get a foyer for good measure and the stairs are not in the way...:)

I feel the same way about stairs though. I always keep them because they are a nice detail but they can be a hassle. Especially when they are hidden from view or facing the wrong way! All that work for nothing!

• Like 1

The Beacon Hill has a kitchen, formal dining room and a parlor all in the same floor. You also get a foyer for good measure and the stairs are not in the way... :)

I feel the same way about stairs though. I always keep them because they are a nice detail but they can be a hassle. Especially when they are hidden from view or facing the wrong way! All that work for nothing!

I love the Beacon Hill, however, it does not come in 1/2 scale. I just do not have a place to put a house with a 32" footprint. It does kind of limit me, but I see some possibilities with some of the 1/2 scale kits.

I don't feel the need for stairs in my houses. I love a pretty staircase, but in a lot of cases, would rather have the extra floor space. Also, none of my houses show "every" room in a normal house, so I have no problem with the stairs being in the other half of the house that cannot be seen.

That said, these are our little worlds and should be whatever the builder likes. :)

• Like 1

That's a good idea, because I can't do without stairs OR a bathroom!

LOL I am the same way. Course you can imagine an outhouse or have one, but that is just more space and going to the bathroom seems such a serious thing. If I see a house with no bathroom , I think oh good grief no bathroom. Actually it bothers me that they are always on the second or third floor. Senior citizens don't often like stairs, plus don't always have the time to go that far haha

Was looking at my Garfield and wondering if I could squeeze a half bath in there on the ground floor ?

• Like 1

LOL I am the same way. Course you can imagine an outhouse or have one, but that is just more space and going to the bathroom seems such a serious thing. If I see a house with no bathroom , I think oh good grief no bathroom. Actually it bothers me that they are always on the second or third floor. Senior citizens don't often like stairs, plus don't always have the time to go that far haha Was looking at my Garfield and wondering if I could squeeze a half bath in there on the ground floor ?
Sure you can! Put it under the stairs! :)

...Senior citizens don't often like stairs, plus don't always have the time to go that far haha...

Tena makes a prodect for that; maybe you could print off an Attends box and stick it in a prominent place on a bathroom shelf?

• Like 2

After reading this thread again yesterday, I went into a kind of funk and spent a lot of time staring at the big Tennyson trying to decide if I was going to continue with my illusion stairs or cut a whole in the floor and run stairs up the wall, or, or....Oh well, who know what will happen! I'm sure the house will tell me someday. In the meantime, I've been trying to finish this project so I can start the half scale Rosedale that's demanding attention!

Tena makes a prodect for that; maybe you could print off an Attends box and stick it in a prominent place on a bathroom shelf?
Or you could put in the stairs and run one of those lift seats up the wall. :)

Bed chamber pot? A miniature potty chair? A tiny catheter....I suppose these would work in place of a bathroom.

:bigwink:

• Like 1