I found a house on Craigslist and just spoke to the woman thru email. She asked me to make an offer on the house. I told her I wasn't really interested in the dolls or furniture, but was told she wants them out and to make an offer based on the house. She doesn't know too much about it, other then saying they look old. The pics are "Ok" I guess, but hard to make a ton out. I was wondering if anyong can take a look and let me know if they know anything about this house, Who it's made by, how old it is, If it's worth even making an offer on, and if so, what would be a fair offer without being an insult? Thank you in advance for any info or advice. Just want to make sure before doing anything else dumb like my 2 Ebay purchases that were a complete FAIL and disaster. LOL. Thanks again

Kris

The two pics of the DH that were posted, I attatched. They're kind of hard to make out alot of detail or info. I asked for other pics from her. But I still know nothing about dating or knowing brands or info on houses myself.

Thanks again a ton.

These r how they were posted.ere are the two of the DH she has up on the post. First is the outside the 2nd as u can see is the inside.(Sorry about them being sideways, that's the way they were/are.) The rest of the pics on the post are of the furniture and dolls that go with it that i'm still a little curious about. Any info is welcome. Here is the link to the post directly to show the other stuff that goes with it. I'm unsure if it all went together or even relate to one another or will help to identify it or give me any info. Anything at this point is welcome so as I know what to do.

CL Add: http://cnj.craigslist.org/bab/3538525384.html

3Ic3Ne3H35L25E45Fad1b7a70647c6ccd1db3.jp

3E23K23F75N35Gb5H3d1b762bcb155ebd1ea5.jp

What are you looking for in a dollhouse? Do you want a cottage or....? Victorian? or cabin? This looks like a scratch built to me and that roof looks awfully heavy. They don't like us to throw money amounts around here on the forum...so Im not sure I can say what I think it would b worth offering. Seems to be missing quite a bit. Depending on what type of house/project youre looking for...if it is a scratch build it would b very hard to find trim for it unless ur handy with that type of thing making it yourself.

Maybe its one of the RealGoodToys cabins? Ive done one of their cabin kits and it does look somewhat similar to one of their larger cabins. If so, it would b worth more IMO than a scratch built. Those pieces stacked up on the second floor might be the pieces that appear to b missing...if its a cabin sometimes they come with parts to make furniture. Looking at it more, it does look like their log style construction.

I think if I were you I'd buy a small kit from Greenleaf for my first house. At least you will know that it is in new condition and that it will actually do what it says on the box. Renovation of old houses is easier when you have a couple of builds under your belt and have the experience to tackle some of the problems. Some old kits could be in pretty bad condition depending on how they have been stored. The wood could be warped or so dried out that it splinters like billyo. But that is just my humble opinion

• Like 4

It does look like a scratch build with upgrades, sort of like the first dollhouse DH & I made for the eldest grand but we didn't make such a heavy roof or install windows, since she was only 6 when she got it. The furniture and dolls are from the "70s or later, maybe; if that's "antique" I'm MUCH older! Those pictures are even crappier than the ones I take!

I straightened, brightened and zoomed in on the pictures on my computer. The walls are clapboards. The roof sags, and the interior partition walls are crooked. It would be more trouble than it was worth IMO. If this message duplicates, it's not my fault. I hit the reply button & nothing happened, so I started all over.

LOL. I'm not gonna even bother. I was also told that it looks to have water damage possibly? But by the pics you can't really tell anything. I plan on getting a brand new kit off GL soons I get all the money back from the FAIL Pierce I got on ebay and the "reutter" trunk. That will give me enough to invest what I'm thinking of possibly $100-150 on a brand new kit of my own. The reason I was looking at houses on CL is because I'm impatient and I thought if I found a house that was somewhat ok, and not spending more then a couple bucks that it would give me something to do until I get my kit. And now going by the thoughts shared here, its put into even more clear a view that it doesn't look like something I want to deal with. And with the pics and the way I keep bein asked to make a highest offer to her now that she wants it sold by this weekend, I shoulda ran a long time ago and not even asked. Like I said that's the impatient part of me and only reason I been looking to find houses that were "together" already to just piddle around with and not spend alot while waiting to start my kit. I've looked at tons of others on CL but all were too expensive or unwilling to work with me at all since I can't drive, they wouldn't even meet me at a local place for pickup. So I passed. Or they were wrecks. I've learned between what my friend emailed me and posting here is that I should just work on my mini projects and stop worrying about having a house RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW, and wait for my kit to build FOR ME. And not fix others' mistakes and get into something like "Money Pit" with Tom Hanks lol. I still have my doll I want to sculpt and make for when my house is ready, rugs im working on, clay oh clay tons of it i can do anything with, and the quilts I decided to start making last nite.. So I think I should stick to that! Thanks AlL!!

As for "My kind of house".... I love the ones more Victorian type. I would die to have the Garfield. I love the wrap around porches, and pretty much everything that has. I still can't decide which kit I want to get. As I'm not sure if I can or want to do it straight or try bashing it a bit and make it more mine. But even that depends on which kit i choose, and I still can't decide on that, I know I have "some plans" for the first house being that I'll have my first tenant living there once she's made, it will prob be Victorian-esque but with modern stuff. LOL. I have tons of pieces I want to put in there. I just don;t know. I do know it will have my mini Beatles' posters and whatnot around. lol. I'm a walking oxymoron, I want it all now, but I don't know what it is i want yet, hehe

Since this house is OUT, and my indecisiveness is now clear, any suggestions on which kit I should buy? I can't spend the amount of a Garfield like I would love to do...The Fairfield, Glenncroft, Diana, and Tennyson all kinda speak to me and in the range of what I can spend really. They have the porches that I want and multiple floors and rooms. And I do want an attic to play with. For what yet remains to be seen. I don't know if one's better then the other to start with. I just don't know. lol. Sorry, I think I've let leash a Loon on your forums!!! :bigwink:

Wycked, ya that's what I said and why I was so lost to start with. I'm DEF NOT ANYMORE! LOL

Graz, thanks, I read your post after I just posted mine. I didn't do all of that.. I prob should have. The first opinion I got from an email from a friend just by the reg ones was that it looked to have water damage possibly and that the furniture and dolls were worth about "Zero" and that the kitchen set was the nicest. The house wasn't worth it. All in all I got my answer and see why she keeps asking me for a price offer and I haven't gotten any other pics that I asked for or info. Except they're old or antique. >< Knowing what I know now I'm gonna be patient, work on what I have now, and need to figure out which kit to buy to actually build and make my own. I really do see the movie Money Pit in my head now with all the replies I got on here. lol Thank you all SOO VERY MUCH. Even if it was only $20 that woulda been traded, you saved me more then that in sanity levels it seems. I'm so glad i joined here and now realize what a valuable resource this is even if it's not to do with GL kits.

AGAIN THANK YOU ALL SOOOO VERY MUCH!!!!! XOXOXO :bear:

Kris, do you have a catalog from Hobby Builders Supply? They send out a free catalog all u have to do is sign up for one on their website. The reason I mention it is because its a great way to sit and dream and look at all the different kits that are out there available.

Im going to play the role of Dollhouse Realtor and suggest to you the Chantilly kit, based on your price range and the fact that you like Victorians and also the Glencroft tudor look, it doesn't have a wrap around porch but it does have a nice porch that expands the length of the front of the house. It comes in laser cut now,which makes sanding easier and shipping would b free from GL:-)

The Pierce I'm rehabbing was originally built with hot glue. I say this to explain by example that impatience and dollhouse building don't necessarily go together. I think it's safe to say that if you come to enjoy building the dollhouse, you will developp reserves of patience you didn't think were possible! OK, I completely disassembled the house with a heat gun so I could rebuild it using carpenter's wood glue and heavy duty steel staples. The windows self-destructed and the doors were a disaster or nonexistent. I'm making new windows and doors.
There were no stairs.

In addition to all that, Mildred (as the Pierce demands I call her) is a real prima donna (PIA for short); she wants an exention with a conservatory off the parlor and an upstairs rooftop garden off the master bedroom. I got a Dremel Trio just so I could cut double doorways in that end wall.

KathieB kindly traced the stairway parts for me from her kit and I made new stairs; but we had a load shift going over a railroad crossing that involved the stack of heavy stuff DH had stacked on Mildred's second floor that knocked loose two walls and may have destroyed my stairs. Until we can get a workshop built everything is tightly packed into our new garage...

The Glencroft has really nifty stairs: gallery_8_151_49657.jpg

Notice how we don't notice all the masking tape until AFTER the pictures are posted...

That definitely looks like a scratch build, as everyone mentioned above. Looks like it's made out of plywood and they made the openings to fit pre-assembled Houseworks components.

I have no idea what it's worth would be but, if it was me, I wouldn't make an offer on it. It just doesn't seem worth it.

Here's another thought... Karin mentioned HBS. If you can wait a bit longer, they usually have an April Fool's Day sale, 40% off any one item. Then the Garfield would be about $160. Pretty close to your target price. :)

In the meantime you could start your planning, and buying floor, wallpaper, ceiling treatment, lights (if you want them) and have a lot of it all ready for when your kit arrives. Make your inhabitant so she can oversee the construction...

http://www.miniatures.com/The-Garfield-Dollhouse-by-Greenleaf-P17525.aspx

• Like 2

That house does look like a scratch build to me. I agree with Karin nd think the Chantliiy (lasercut) would be perfect! its such a fun house to build and the space is really nice! If you go as big as a Garfield house, be sure to measure the doorways! We had a member of the forum years ago build a Garfield and then they sold their house. She couldn't ake the Garfield with her that she had just built. The Pierce is the Garfield's little sister... I want to build a Garfield for myself one day. It's such a beautiful house! :)

• Like 1

I don't have a catalog from them, I always look online, but I'm gonna go order one now. I much rather have a catalog to mark, write notes, possibly get two so I can cut pics out and put in one of my many journals and use that for ideas wants wishes etc. I liked the Pierce also, hence me getting it on Ebay. Or so I'd thought. As some of you may and may not know, I bought one from Ebay about $68 + S+H all came to about $75. I was told it was brand new, the pics they showed were brand new in package. Well, I got the box and it was sent literally only in the box iitself with only a small piece of tape on each side of the box keeping it shut. No packaging, no box, no wrapping, nothing. I first realized it wasn't the original I'd thought. They sent me the 1/4 scale. Angry off the bat. I have nothing against 1/4, but I work with,like, prefer and had paid for the "regular Pierce". Then I opened the box and realized that most the panels were missing, what was there was broken pieces and sheets and looked like they were all rejects even a dollar store wouldn't sell. Needless to say I made a complaint, and put a formal thing against them on ebay. It's being sent back for a full refund and I'm making them pay for return shipping along with tracking so they can't say they didn't get it. Which kinda led to me looking at houses on CL to get one cuz I was so excited about having mine now. But that brings us up to now.

I like the idea of either getting the Pierce again, or te Garfield. I've waited this long. By the time I know it I'm sure April will be here. I also am saving up for the Lancaster mini doll show April 21. So that may go hand in hand on which I pick and get. I've never been to a show and am super excited and want to have a pretty penny with me to spend to get anything that I don't see or haven't. Esp since all I have is the net. There's no hobby stores around here for mini's or anything of that sorts.

I do need to be careful because I'm on disability due to my MS and other med probs. And currently only receive $310 a month to live on, and am fighting with SSI because I should be getting alot more. And as I'm sure you all know, that's not alot to live on in general. NM this hobby which you can spend endless amounts on. Some stuff I see cost more in miniature then in RL. lol

Just figured I'd mention that as to my money aspect problem and ideas and where to turn to. The April sales would help me tremendously and give me some time. The money I had been spending on Ebay and Etsy was a Xmas present from my father in FL to let me blow and have fun with to make me happy as things been kinda stressful lately. And shopping always helps. "Wink Wink"

Anyyways, Ya, I really need to start my inhabitant for w/e house I choose. I know her name will be Penny after my nickname since I adore the name so much. I just need to get around to doing it. It honestly scares the bejeezes outta me. And keep saying tomorrow. But even that aside, I have over 80+ things of sculpey and Premo clay I can be doing stuff with, my needlepoint i always start and get bored with and change or stop partway in, I also recently got alot of wood and a wal-mart brand dremel for $3.00! that I can play with now. (I think it was mislabeled. It's pretty decent. Comes with all the attatchments the $65+ dremels come with, if not more, and is in one of those silver diamond plated hard cases. So i think it was a HUGE SCORE!) plus all the mini wooden chests and cabinets I got at Michaels, and some quilts I want to start. I'm definately not lacking in things I could do. I always get bored and tend to change things when I get bored of it. I bought the stuff to try my hand at mini wicker weaving. I've been following Casey's Mini's, and adore the work she does with mini wicker. That's kinda what i'm using as my blueprint. And other websites to help me with the weaving styles and which points to do what. I would like to invest in some books to have of my own or on my Kindle to help me out. I know there's a wealth of mini furniture, needlepoint, wicker, and of the like books that i'm interested in. I like Holly's idea of the library, but I like to own the books. Otherwise I need to find a way to make copies so that I have it at a later date when needed. It's 6am, and i think today I def want to try to start the Penny sculpture. I have all I need. Only difference is that everyone told me to use flesh Super Sculptey, but all 5 stores I been to over and over aren't seeming to carrry it atm, so I bought the two shades of Sculptey "Living Doll" with Michael's coupons I had. So we'll see about that. Not that I have anything to compare it to.This will be my first sculpture. Hence being scared scenseless. Even tho I know clay can be erased, changed, smoothed, or if all else fails, SQUISHED back again. LOL Thank you all for the advice on the money pit house I started this topic on. It's cleared up many a thing for me not just that!

Holly, I love your Pierce (Ahem, Mildred sorry. Don't want to insult her now do we? XD) Which makes it hard for me to work on specific things to start for the"eventual house build" since I know it will talk to me. I should def work on lil things to fill that I know I'll need no matter what. I do want to try my hand at building my own bed since i now have a dremel to use. Tho my dream bed to work with would be a 4-poster bed. I'm kinda keen on the brass one. Tho the one I like is the brass belle brand I believe is the name and run quite a bit even used on ebay. Which as you can see why, I'm a little weary of, even tho i've been an Ebay loyal. Etsy is more my thing lately. I've picked up some glass pieces and a couple of smalls that I found when a woman was selling her mothers items for her and the prices were a steal. I'll eventually post em on my blog when it agrees with me and my net stops acting up.

And yet again I've written a book back as a reply. Sorry it's a bad habit. I always have so much to say when I read all the replies tho. One last thing then I'll end this before I'm banned for giving you guys strained eyes....lol

I did get lucky on CL. A woman is moving and was selling a gorgeous house that was a scratch build,, all top notch high end and almost looked like a Gone with the wind type. Pillars out front, porch, gorgeous. Way out of my range. But we got to speaking and she has lots of stuff in her work area/storage. I was told lots of kits and furniture and other things. I'm not exactly sure what. But she's giving it all to me free of charge and even delvering it since I can't drive. We had got to talking about DH's and that it keeps me going when my MS gets me down, and apparently her father had it and she understood and wanted to help out since she can't take any of it with her and would rather it go to use. So I have that to look forward to also coming up. I can't wait to see what it will all be. But no matter what it is, I'm super greatful and excited like a little kid. Who doesn't love a good surprise? lol Anyways, that's my long post yet again. I apologize. I need to learn to do better. hehe. I'm just a natural chatter and being a quick typer doesn't help matters.

Again, thank you all for the help and advice and input. It started in asking about that house and ended in being more help then I ever could of thought. So thank you. I'm off to order that catalog now and any other ones I can find where they don't charge $5 for a copy. Have a good nite/morning wherever you are. Hopefully when I speak next I will have the start of Penny!

Kris

I like Holly's idea of the library, but I like to own the books.

Getting the library to order the books for you is so you can check them out and look them over before you go charging off to buy them; I have found some books are prettier than useful, and others that I have used once or twice I have since advanced 'way beyond! and some of the most useful to me still are those good ol' Chilton books that are, alas! out of print.

I love the HBS catalog for ideas and inspiration for things to make, as well as their supply of kits and building supplies. I also like Micro-Mark and Northeastern Scale Lumber.

Can some of those "useful"books that are out of print be found in a copy form? Or maybe possibly find someone who has them and pay for the pages to be copied possibly? I didn't think about the library that way. Lol.I seem to be slow lately. But that's a great idea. Depending what they got. I'm gonna have to check it out. I'll be right by ours Tuesday so I'll go check it out. I don't care about pretty. I like useful. But having some pictures or illustrations always helps. I did go order the catalog. Said 4-6 weeks delivery? lol. Hope not. But no rush. I'm off to go start my doll.Wish me luck. Lol. Gonna take pics as I go for my blog,but seeing as my net is worse and refuses to let me do anything but save drafts,I'll save to show. Off to get my hands dirty in clay and hope for the best. Thanks again for all the advice and info this one post has given me!!!

Kris

Kris, Another catalogue that might be nice to have is the one from Dolls House Emporium. Google dheminis.com and you should be able to click on the site and then request a catalog.

Oh, Lord! You really want the poor girl to blow her budget! :rofl:

""I was told lots of kits and furniture and other things. I'm not exactly sure what."" well good grief you might just end up with a few dollhouse kits wouldnt that be just lovely? be sure and let us know when she brings you the items so we can ohhh and awww with you!