In your house(s) - dolls or no dolls?

AngeH

When I first started building my house, I was firmly convinced that it would never have dolls in it. In fact, on my blog I have tried to consistently refer to it as a Mini House. I think that in my mind, having dolls would make it seem less like I was participating in an arts and crafts hobby and more like I was...well, a grown woman playing with dolls.

But as I've wandered around on this site and on the big wide wonderful world of blogs devoted to this hobby, I've seen a lot of really cute and effective use of dolls. Now I'm starting to think I might want to add them if I can find some that I like - I especially like the idea of a maid doll, probably because I can't afford a real maid, LOL.

So I was wondering how others approach this important issue of dolls in their dollhouses? :)

I have always loved dolls, but it depends on the type of doll for the dollhouses that I like. I really want them to be realistic looking and not look too much like just a "doll" - if that makes sense!

In the house that I am rehabing that my grandfather built in 1932, I am using some antique dolls that belonged to his sister and date from around the 1900's. To me, those dolls belong in this house. I will be doing a house for myself when I complete this one, then I'll be looking around for something a little different.

I'm not a fan of dolls in my own miniature scenes, but I've seen people do wonderful things with them. There are also beautifully made dolls in their own right. I think you should do what you want! That's the beauty of this hobby. :) I have two artist models that I use to help with scale and placement...and I have a whole bunch of mini animals. I think your maid idea sounds perfect!

I tried inserting photos, but it won't let me. Here are the links:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=86308

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=85798

• Like 2

When I first started building my house, I was firmly convinced that it would never have dolls in it. In fact, on my blog I have tried to consistently refer to it as a Mini House. I think that in my mind, having dolls would make it seem less like I was participating in an arts and crafts hobby and more like I was...well, a grown woman playing with dolls.

But as I've wandered around on this site and on the big wide wonderful world of blogs devoted to this hobby, I've seen a lot of really cute and effective use of dolls. Now I'm starting to think I might want to add them if I can find some that I like - I especially like the idea of a maid doll, probably because I can't afford a real maid, LOL.

So I was wondering how others approach this important issue of dolls in their dollhouses? :)

And what, pray tell, is your problem with a grown woman playing with dolls? I've been doing it all my life, in various forms; and since I build mini homes, they are meant to have inhabitants: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=8

• Like 4

I agree with brae. I am not a big fan of dolls, but they have their place. I am working on a couple of builds that will have dolls and I have already contacted someone in the forum about making them for me. They are for specific scenes (literature, movies, historical) and they will add to the overall build.

For the most part I am more of a builder. I haven't been big on furnishings, but I have found myself buying furniture and accessories lately for these builds.

I love having dolls inhabit the houses and scenes that I create, but it has to 'feel' right to me. Not just any doll can fit into any old house; it has be just the right one(s).

Once I find the right dolls, they give the house a whole new look and even life. Especially my literary-themed houses. Those stories, like The Wizard of Oz and Little House in the Big Woods, mean so much to me, and are such a part of my identity, that I refused to settle on any dolls/figures for them until I found the perfect ones.

And what, pray tell, is your problem with a grown woman playing with dolls?

Well, I'm starting to realize that I don't have a problem with it! I saw this elderly Victorian couple on a website the other day, and I can't get them out of my mind. So I am pretty sure that before too long I will buy them. And a maid for them. And then I will name them all and play with them. :D

• Like 2

Once I find the right dolls, they give the house a whole new look and even life. Especially my literary-themed houses. Those stories, like The Wizard of Oz and Little House in the Big Woods, mean so much to me

Where can I see pictures of these literary houses, they sound awesome!!

I am not able to see any of the pictures that posters have added to this thread, I get an error message :(

• Like 1

My kids are always asking if I will put dolls in mine...oddly enough I would do pets but not people. No reason, just doesn't feel right. I want it to feel like an empty house waiting for you to move in!

I've never put any dolls in any of my houses. I'm not against the idea, just never have so far. I have several really nice babies that I got at an estate sale and would like to use them someday.

That being said, if I ever came across any vintage Ethel Strong Twinky dolls, I'd jump at the chance to buy them! I would go so far as to build a house decorated in the post WWII era which was when they were made. I first read about them in the March 2003 Miniature Collector magazine, and fell in love with their faces and clothing. She made them from 1946 to 1953. Many years later, her granddaughter, Lee Forsythe, found boxes of unassembled dolls and clothing, painted, strung and clothed them, and sold them as "Second Generation" I'd be happy with either ones, but have never been able to find any!

I always make a couple of dolls for my houses. Not sure why exactly as I never play with them or rearrange the houses - when they're done - they're done and left alone. I think that for me it helps to tell the story of the house if you can see the people who live there. There are some fabulous doll makers around and it was seeing them at my first mini show (and realising that I could never afford to buy their creations) that prompted me to make my own.

I always make a couple of dolls for my houses. Not sure why exactly as I never play with them or rearrange the houses - when they're done - they're done and left alone. I think that for me it helps to tell the story of the house if you can see the people who live there. There are some fabulous doll makers around and it was seeing them at my first mini show (and realising that I could never afford to buy their creations) that prompted me to make my own.

That's pretty much why I make mine; well, that and I've been making larger sized dolls off & on my whole life.

When I first started with serious dollhouserie, we were on the move a lot and my houses were not the typical dh - they had to be very portable; housed in bookcases and roomboxes. I never had dolls in them because (1) they were too mobile and (2) the only dolls I knew of at that time were pretty "artificial" looking. The girls had rediculously long hair, usually blond, that would tip over any RL person, they were not well made and I didn't like them. They looked like they belonged in a toybox. So I kept the house looking as if someone had just stepped out and would be coming right back - a cup of coffee on the table, a toy on the floor, an open book on the sofa.

BUT THEN - time passed, we settled down and quit globe-trotting, and my houses took on more permanence. And either the dolls improved or I was finally where I could find good dolls. I love the character in the resin dolls, there are so many varieties now, But I've also started to collect the "real" ones - the ones hand-crafted by talented artists, or the name-brands of good quality (Ernie Meyer, Caco, and others). The young lady in my avatar right now was made by our own Wolfie and she is just beautiful. When I made my Museum of Miniatures I wanted just the right man to be the curator. Turns out, Wolfie had just the man I was looking for, and he had his own stories to tell - including how he wanted the museum to be laid out!

I always make a couple of dolls for my houses. Not sure why exactly as I never play with them or rearrange the houses - when they're done - they're done and left alone. ...

I usually leave my dolls alone in the house, unless I'm posing them for something special, like a Christmas party or something. However, my sweet mother, who loves all my dollhouses, also loves to rearrange them. Sometimes she tells me, "Oh, by the way, Owen (a Wolfie doll) left the Museum and went over to the Mountain Retreat to see his friend." And, sure enough, a doll has been moved from one house to another! :)

She loves miniatures also and never had a chance to act upon it so she really enjoys all my work - and things I show her from this forum!

• Like 4

So far I don't put dolls in my houses. As someone else indicated in their post, I live in my houses (in my mind) and I want anyone who gets one of my houses to be able to "move in." I'll use a figure or model for scale, but they don't stay, they're only visiting. That said, I've seen some beautiful dolls that are to scale and are very unique, and I'm not going to say I'll never add dolls, I just haven't yet. Sometimes they add to the vignette (depending on the doll). But I do plan to add pets!