Since you've been off the air!

Bluehighways

Good Morning all! I received my Beacon Hill kit the day before Greenleaf revamped their site! BTW, I like the new setup. So I really felt lost when I opened the box and started finding my pieces and labeling them...and so far I've been sanding, sanding, and more sanding along with dry fitting pieces and gluing. I'm still working on the staircase. Got stumped and thought a day and a half before the answer came to me. I'm loving every minute of it. Today the electrical stuff and hopefully some wallpaper comes so I can have it all when I need it. I'm in no hurry, between watching my granchildren off/on and working on this house, Life is Good! So glad your back in my life though. I feel a lot more secure!

• Like 1

I'm working on the Beacon Hill....First time building anything other than legos and lincoln logs......decorating? you mean like wallpaper? I did a dry fit for all the parts so far then glued what the directions said??? I glued all the steps tog. but not permanently glued it to the floor or walls so I could take out for wallpaper? Does this sound okay? Plus the electric tape things came yesterday. Reading the little book that comes with the kit. I think next step would be electric then wallpaper? Oh, I so hope I'm doing this right. See? I needed you....and couldn't find you in cyberspace... tell me its all okay.

So long as you aren't using hot glue to put your kit together, it sounds like you're OK. By decorating I meant the prep work, too; like staining, priming, painting or wallpaper, baseboards, ceilings & cornices... I like to dry fit the entire shell of the house and let it sit and chat with me about what it wants and how it wants to look, and which areas I'll never reach once I begin to glue it up. Different people begin at different places; it's all good. I learn by doing, and I learn a LOT by doing it "wrong" first.

I am not using hot glue but good wood glue. Never liked hot glue for anything!

Whewww. What you said and what I'm doing, thank goodness is what is happening. I'm sure I'll make some mistakes, lets just hope not big ones! Not sure what to do with the ceilings... wallpaper/paint. What do you do -anyone? I'm moving at a snails pace and thinking before I do anything. I have to really keep in check with my ADHD - :bigwink: I'd put some pictures up but doesn't seem to let me - yet.

In my experience, the only part of the BH you really need to do while you're working is the staircase wall behind it before you put it in. So paint or wallpaper that wall first. Also, Gina from More Minis has great Beacon Hill tutorials HERE. Enjoy the process and go at your own pace. You'll figure it out!

Hi Scarlett! I love the Beacon HIll. Maybe one day I'll get done doing things for everybody else, and be able to complete mine...

I have in my Gallery pictures of a real house close to here that is the same style house, that I use for reference and inspiration. It's the album "Claremont House".

Sounds like you're doing perfect! Good call to keep the staircase out so far. I actually cut the tabs off mine and pulled it in and out until I had that area completely done, trim and all. Very useful for measuring trim, removing stairs to install trim, then putting stairs back. I think KathieB is actually leaving hers completely removable.

And exactly right on the tape wire. I built my house completely (no trim or porches on outside, just main parts...), then installed all the tape. Then I installed the lights as I applied the wallpaper. I soldered the wires directly to the tape, I knew I wouldn't have patience for all the little brads... I also did my tape in continuous runs, except for the parts when I got to the end of the roll (I used 2+ rolls).

For ceilings, there's all kinds of cool possibilities! HBS (miniatures.com) has some ceiling paper. http://www.miniatures.com/Dollhouse-Ceiling-Medallions-C109.aspx You can also just paint, or use spackle, heavy drawing paper, doilies, scrapbook paper, decorative scrapbook thingies...

Have fun!! :)

• Like 1

Ceilings; I've used paint, painted trompe l'oiel, anaglyptic wallpaper and paperlace doiles, and once the plastic "tin" ceiling from HBS. The house will tell you what it would like (more usually what you'd better not think of using!lol).