Next Up - Harrison!

sparklepuppies

So, apparently my project for someone else for this year is the Harrison. But it needs to be done preferably this month, so hopefully it won't take long.

This house is for my mom's friend Joanne. She picked it out because it reminds her of the houses when she lived in Germany, and she wants it done just like the box.

When she first picked it out, I found a great deal on the kit at Ernie's attic. Since then I found one built on Craig's List, and against my better judgement, I bought that one to rehab. (I really should know better than that by now...) At least I have a kit as well, in case I need spare pieces (window plastic and trim come to mind...)

So, today I finally get it out to start on, and realize that 4 of the 5 panels in the bay/tower area were put in upside down. I had the same issue on the Nob Hill I rehabbed for my niece. Good news is that it was built with hot glue, so I as able to get those 4 panels off without much trouble. This will make a lot of other things a lot easier as well. Five rooms are wallpapered, so that will be removed. But I plan to stucco the inside and outside, so I'm hoping that will cover a multitude of sins. :)

Wish me luck!! :)

gallery_3297_6107_180333.jpg

gallery_3297_6107_13787.jpg

I love this kit, I was lucky to see one in person once and was so surprised at how large and fabulous it was...all of those windows and space. Im sure youll do magic.

Luck!

I'm sure it will be beautiful when you're done with it.

Thanks ladies! I sure hope so! :) Lots of cutting and scraping and sanding to do.

And it looks like this is the 2nd re-do for this one, there is a coat of brown paint underneath the white.

I'm hoping to use tissue for the stucco. My last attempt didn't turn out so great, but I've got some different ideas to try this time. I bought some tissues on Christmas clearance last week to use, now just gotta find that right color of white paint.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it have been easier to just put the single right-side-up panel upside-down? ;) Good luck! I love the white-brown color scheme from the box.

It wouldn't fit, it would have interfered with the porch roof. Believe me, that was my first thought!

I like the color scheme on the box too, should be pretty. And I love Gina's Harrison, how she also did the stucco on the inside, so that's what I'm doing for this one too. Should help cover up bits of wallpaper I can't get off too.

For some reason, that looks like a lot more work than building from the kit. Good luck, I'm sure it's going to turn up wonderfully.

Yep, I agree, it always seems to be more work to rehab than build. I really wish I would learn that and stop buying built houses.

From now on, y'all have to stop me from buying anymore built houses...

Yep, I agree, it always seems to be more work to rehab than build. I really wish I would learn that and stop buying built houses.

From now on, y'all have to stop me from buying anymore built houses...

Excellent, I see more KITS in your future. :lol:

• Like 1

Oh, yeah, like THAT's going to happen!

Well, I just complain about them every time I do...

I think I'm about to have a change of plans. I think I am going to build the kit instead of rehab this one. I'm just not feeling right about it. The lady I'm building it for is pickier than I am, and never buys anything used. She is the kind of person that gives (or throws) things away when they show the slightest sign of use. And the further I get into this house... Well I don't think I can fix everything. The house in its current state (well after I glue the walls back on right-side-up and clean it up some) I think will be great to give to my daughter's 2 younger sisters. And since I'm having to take so much apart and scrape and sand so much, I may as well just start from the beginning.

I am in love with the Harrison. I think it's one of my "when I actually buy a house that has more space" dollhouse, though. The Glencroft seems big in our apartment! :D

Good luck with it! I look forward to seeing what you do with this beauty!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here we are 3 weeks later... And I finally have started with the new kit. Got the foundation glued on, and will let that dry over night. Here we go!

My husband just about freaked when he walked in and saw I had started another kit. And then we he realized it was another of the same... I had not previously shared the plan with him...

• Like 1

Oh Tracy! That's funny. Men can call us crazy all they want but we work hard to earn it!

I've used Greenleaf's stucco (2011 Spring Fling, in my albums) and was really happy with it. Good luck!

Thanks Morgan! I am considering that, I hate how expensive it is though. I have tried spackle as stucco, but I just couldn't get the texture I wanted.

The person for whom you're building the Harrison will be much happier with the new kit, and you can bash the rehab to become whatever you & it want!

Yep Holly, I know you're right. And probably better for me in the long run too!

My daughter has 2 younger sisters, and I'm thinking this might be good to give to them, once I clean it up some.

...I have tried spackle as stucco, but I just couldn't get the texture I wanted.

While the spackle is still wettish, try popping it all over the surface with the flat of an old credit card, then just lightly with the card's side pull in a generally downward direction and see how you like it; vary the pressure as you pull the card to get rougher or smoother texture.