Wallpapering terrifies me!

AmieO

Your wallpaper looks great! I remember my first wallpaper job, on the Lily-- I was using printable wallpaper from http://www.jennifersprintables.com/, and I printed them out on regular paper, which was too thin and produced terrible wrinkles. (Since then I've switched to cardstock which does much better.) I still use white school glue smeared over the back of the wallpaper, though-- it's worked for me for years now! (I do have to be careful that the glue doesn't get on the front of the paper though, because it does tend to smear the print...)

• Like 1

OMG yes!

I started with an Orchid "for practice". Somewhere along the way, I became very attached to my little house and I couldn't bear to part with it! Now I have three more houses in various stages, and I am working on getting a fourth (shell) to finish. My husband thinks I've lost my mind...

• Like 2

I started with an Orchid "for practice". Somewhere along the way, I became very attached to my little house and I couldn't bear to part with it! Now I have three more houses in various stages, and I am working on getting a fourth (shell) to finish. My husband thinks I've lost my mind...

Don't worry. You haven't lost it, you're expanding it to take in all the little details!

Nodding head franticly! Exactly! Im terrifed of wallpaper but also of painting....and gluing of course...I've got 4 DH now and one dry fitted and cant get the gumption to just go ahead and do IT! Anything! ROFLMBO My husband thinks I've gone totally round the bend......

:nana:

• Like 1

Nodding head franticly! Exactly! Im terrifed of wallpaper but also of painting....and gluing of course...I've got 4 DH now and one dry fitted and cant get the gumption to just go ahead and do IT! Anything! ROFLMBO My husband thinks I've gone totally round the bend......

:nana:/>

I call this fear of failure. Sometimes it would paralyze me and have me staring at the house for weeks trying to think of what to do. But the best thing is to just make a start. Do just one wall. Remember, you can fix just about anything. Once you start, you discover how easy it is and you become more willing to try things. Go for it!

• Like 1

I call this fear of failure. Sometimes it would paralyze me and have me staring at the house for weeks trying to think of what to do. But the best thing is to just make a start. Do just one wall. Remember, you can fix just about anything. Once you start, you discover how easy it is and you become more willing to try things. Go for it!

Excellent advice! If it doesn't work out how you want, it's an excuse to do better the next time...!

...fear of failure...would paralyze...
Do NOT fear "failure"; there is no failure; nobody is grading you on your workmanship, and if you don't make mistakes, how do you learn anything? Neither is there any law that you have to post pictures of anything but your very best work, and this makes a lot of people mistakenly think their own work has to be perfect, right from the start. It don't work that way, folks! So grab your paint or wallpaper and have fun!
  • Like 1

I absolutely agree with Holly, which is why I hope my comments were interpreted as "have no fear" advice.

Have fun with this hobby. Don't be afraid of deciding to make changes or corrections, we all do this, sometimes changing course radically in the middle of a project. Each room, each house will teach you something new, and speaking for myself, that's a huge part of the attraction I have to this hobby. I love how it stretches my creativity! And I love sharing and exploring ideas with members on this forum.

So try something (with your project) and see if you like it. It's the pleasure of the process.

Thanks to Otterine, I use YES paste available at Michael's. I do it after assembly because I am very indicisive and I am a fan of instant gratification. I "dry fit" with plain white paper to be sure of the fit first. The first time is the hardest.

• Like 1

Don't worry. You haven't lost it, you're expanding it to take in all the little details!

That's what I keep telling him... although he doesn't seem to be buying it. I did get my own craft room, though! Now I need to hide my newest rehab acquisition before he spots it... :bigwink:

• Like 1