Wallpapering terrifies me!

AmieO

Hi all. So I've been working on my orchid, got the outside walls primed and the floors stained and am going to do a dry fit and then glue the shell...but I am dragging my feet because of the wallpaper. I can't decide if I should do it before or after. I have seen some tutorials that do it before by just putting the walls on top of the paper and tracing around everything, including windows, then cutting and pasting before assembly. As clumsy and messy as I am this seems the easiest way...but then knowing how clumsy and messy I am, I assume if I do this and then glue it will get all over the paper. Any suggestions? I need a fool-proof way of doing this!

BTW, I bought scrapbooking paper and am planning on using either tacky glue or mod podge to adhere (after priming the walls).

Guest Happy Heart

Practice with pieces of wallpaper on boards that aren't part of your house first until you get confident then wall paper more confidently. Best part of wall paper is it's easy to tear off and begin again, lol

• Like 1

You could use rubber cement (aka contact cement) to adhere the wallpaper. Use the dry mount technique, which means putting a thin layer of the cement on both the wall and the paper and letting it dry to the touch before gently rolling the paper against the wall, smoothing as you go. Any glue that shows up on the surface can be rolled away with a fingertip.

Hint: cut out the window and door openings with a very sharp eXacto or utility knife after the paper is firmly adhered to the wall.

I use this method and have found the paper to hold firmly and yet be relatively easy to remove should it be necessary. A friend used this method on her one of her houses more than 25 years ago and it is still holding tight and looks fresh.

Are you guys doing this before or after the shell is assembled?

Either way.

If you do it before the shell is assembled, mark the back edge of the side walls in dry fit so you can keep track of them during the papering. On those edges, leave about a half inch of paper hanging over the wood. When you assemble the house, this extra lip of paper will curl around the back corner and not leave an unsightly gap (however small) where the side and back walls meet. The lip will disappear in the paper on the back wall, especially if you've managed to line up the pattern accurately.

You want to leave the lip on the side walls rather than the back wall so the edge of the paper is not facing the viewer.

Don't over think this whole wallpapering thing. Go ahead and put up some wallpaper in whatever way seems sensible to you. If you have a problem, it's easy to remove and start over. There aren't very many of us who were experts from the get-go -- and we learn by our mistakes! You'll get the rhythm in a hurry.

• Like 1

Amie

Some do it before assembly others do it after assembly - It takes some planning - I do it after assembly What I do anyway after assembly and when ready to wallpaper I make templets out of cardstock keep trimming until it fits just right, Use that to cut the wallpaper. Then seal the wallpaper both sides with Mogpog spray sealer , There are other things you can use others will chime in on that. - I use wallpaper paste - I paint right onto the wall and don't be skimpy with it.. Then I place the paper on that and and start smoothing it down. Be careful here don't over do the rubbing it down sit back and wait a few then go back and gently check for any areas that need some attention.

• Like 1

I've found an old credit card useful to smooth out the wallpaper. I tend to be messy so that, depending on the paper I am using, I will use a matte spray on the sheet of paper first. I myself get a nicer job if I wall paper after building. Have done it both ways, depending on the house and where the wallpaper is going.

• Like 1

Are you guys doing this before or after the shell is assembled?

I've done it before assembly for the Garfield and some of the Glencroft. There were other houses that I did after the whole house was put together. It really depends, and you have to figure out, if rooms will be accessible after assembly or not. If rooms are going to be accessible after assembly I prefer to paper after assembling.

I do it both before and after, depending on what the dry fit shows me. I paper onto dry, primed walls and if the room is assembled I stick scraps of computer paper in and fold and tape until I have a pattern of the wall to start; I generally cut the paper slightly larger than the pattern, especially on the sides to allow for some lap, as Kathie suggests. I also do the back wall first, drop-matching the paper for the side walls. I use regular premixed wallpaper paste and apply it to the back of the paper, then apply it to the wall, using a smalle wooden brayer to get out lumps and bubbles, and let it dry thoroughly before cutting out window & door openings and trimming excess. And don't feel bad, I used to freak out at first when I wallpapered. Warm water and a little white vinegar will soften wallpaper paste and remove old wallpaper beautifully.

• Like 1

Your post title cracked me up, because I felt exactly the same way! I conquered my fear by succumbing to it entirely, and painting my rooms instead. I am a wimp. I wish you lots of luck and hope you will post pictures of your results - maybe you will inspire me to give it a try!!

Edited by AngeH
  • Like 3

I decided to decorate my Magnolia first and I am so glad that I did especially around the ground floor bay windows. I cut out a cardstock template for each of the bays and the main walls and then joined the bay sections templates together with masking tape on the wrong side. I then cut out the windows and door for both rooms and then cut the wall paper in one piece for the whole bay areas. Once the walls were glued in place I wallpapered the three sections in one go and this considerably strengthened the build as the side walls only fitted where they touch and that was not many places. I then strengthen the outside by using Holly's trick with the wooden skewers. All this of course before I put on the ceiling

• Like 1

Slow and Steady wins the race, right? I glued one piece of wallpaper, still have to trim around the window better. I really just wanted to see what it would look like! Painted the bottom border of the outside of the house and finished the windows as well. I love doing this!!!

post-22241-0-58952000-1357096219_thumb.j

post-22241-0-05756100-1357096222_thumb.j

Slow and Steady wins the race, right? I glued one piece of wallpaper, still have to trim around the window better. I really just wanted to see what it would look like! Painted the bottom border of the outside of the house and finished the windows as well. I love doing this!!!

Lookin' good! See, you can do this! :)

• Like 1

I am!! I have been wanting to do this for years and now all of my free time is spent looking at dollhouses or miniatures online and planning my next move...

• Like 2