Starting a Willow - our first dollhouse

lwfogle

We our a mother and daughter (9) who are excited to be starting our first dollhouse project, The Willow. We have just about finished our real house renovation and Mommy needs a project, daughter wants to be the designer on this one so she's in charge of finishes, furniture, layout, etc....looking forward to learning lots and seeing how it all turns out. We've already read great advice (like no hot glue!) and eager for any other nuggets of wisdom! thanks so much!

• Like 1

Welcome Leigh (and daughter)! You should have great fun building the Willow. I haven't built one yet, but its stately design is growing on me and I may have to do one in the future.

Which scale will you be building?

We are building a 1:1 or 1 12th? Not sure what the proper lingo is.

It's been a fun day - we have it dry built and sanded, ready to prime and bottom colors selected....we're making changes to the plan already I think - adding a second stair and a bath hidden behind...it won't be much access to the bath once it's built in so not sure that's a good idea but the most realistic look I think - and you can see it through the windows. But - not so sure...any suggestions? (this way it saves the big room on the right to be another fun room - my daughter wants this to be a house for pups...she's dog crazy. The third floor will have a "bonus room" and dog room...she's thinking about what to do with the small room to the right....)

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Leigh & daughter. You can pinhinge the bathroom wall so it opens for play purposes (I hinged a bathroom wall in the Magnolia I built). As for scale, 1:1 is full-size, 1' = 1'; in 1:12, 1"=12", so is small enough to play with.

We are building a 1:1 or 1 12th? Not sure what the proper lingo is.

It's been a fun day - we have it dry built and sanded, ready to prime and bottom colors selected....we're making changes to the plan already I think - adding a second stair and a bath hidden behind...it won't be much access to the bath once it's built in so not sure that's a good idea but the most realistic look I think - and you can see it through the windows. But - not so sure...any suggestions? (this way it saves the big room on the right to be another fun room - my daughter wants this to be a house for pups...she's dog crazy. The third floor will have a "bonus room" and dog room...she's thinking about what to do with the small room to the right....)

Holly's hinge idea is good. You could also build the staircase so that it is removable to give you access to the bath room.

P.S. It's nice to meet more dog lovers! You have a daughter after my own heart.

Welcome. I have built two Willows for my GDs. Posted some photos in the gallery section if you would like to see them. We are all willing to help so feel free to lean on us, don't get in a hurry and enjoy yourselves!

Wonderful! Thank you all...I had to cut out as we are traveling unfortunately for a funeral this week (my husbands childhood friends mother). I can see this little forum is quite a nice little community. Looking forward to getting to know you all! (and I'm mulling over the bathroom thing...yes, probably need to take some time on or...I'll be traveling the next couple of weeks for work do the building will have to be virtual for a bit!)

Edited by lwfogle

Welcome to the forum! The Willow is a great house-- very spacious, and lots of opportunity to try new things; check out Stenty's Willow:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=1548

I used egg carton to make a stone exterior for my Willow:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=6065