It's that time again! New Year's Resolutions

chapchap73

So this may be a dead thread, but I'm always interested in New Year's resolutions. I tend to make several every year...a lot have yet to be accomplished so I just recycle them for next year. Some are celebrating multiple anniversaries on the resolution list :lol: My biggest one this year is to become debt-free by my birthday in August. I also want to work on being more diligent with my house-cleaning (boring, right) as well as the standard being more kind, gracious and loving to all.

How about you guys?

I did the housekeeping one last year; more doable since we moved into a new house and slowed down some on the long road trips and outdoor activities as well as my annual one to learn at least one major new thing (making elegant recipes low-fat/ fat-free; it's coming along). Usually the resolution list comes to me as I'm going to sleep on New Year's Eve. Another recurring one I hope will continue is to try to meet forum members in person, which is why I did the :happydance: when the PM system came back, and issue a standing invitation for Forum members traveling in our area to get in touch.

• Like 2

I don't usually make resolutions on New Year's but I do have basic goals. One thing DH & I are going to do is update the wills (for all the million $$$ !!!!!!! ;) ) since things have changed a lot in the family since we did it the last time. It's an easy thing to put off, but I think 2013 is the year to do it. I also hope to get back to my houses more, now that my puppy is getting older and more trustworthy (I say that with my fingers crossed - so I guess I have a resolution for the puppy: be completely trained SOON).

Every year my New Years resolution is to lose weight and keep it ofg and this year I have achieved it as by August I had lost 8 kilos, about 18 lbs and I have kept it off right up to now including over Christmas. This is not a diet but a new regime, DH and I eat three meals a day and only what we can get on our teaplates; we can have anything we fancy but must not eat between meals and because I was brought up to eat everything on my plate I seam to feel full by the end of the meal. This years resolution: to lose a similar amount this Spring and Summer and then give away all the clothes that I cannot alter to fit me.

• Like 1

My traditional New Years Resolution is to give up smoking (I've never smoked in my life really), but usually I don't come up with one because in the past it hasn't been achieved. So I just do little goals as I go throughout the year :)

Good luck Mary, you can do it!!!

Good to see you Mary and Muriel. You have both been missed.

As to resolutions ... I've never been one to promise something that I wasn't sure I could keep.

I surely do want to keep some of the new exercise habits I've begun this fall but I'm afraid if I "promise", and then drift away from it, I'd feel way too guilty and be afraid to start again.

So no resolutions for me, just hopes and dreams for the future.

Well, I guess I look at NY Resolutions a bit differently than most. Try the negative-suggestible. I never make them and never keep them. So last year my resolution (when finally pressured to make one) was to gain weight. You read it right - gain, not lose. Since I never keep the resolutions anyway, I was delighted to notice that I did not gain any weight this year :roflmao:

• Like 1

Well, I guess I look at NY Resolutions a bit differently than most. Try the negative-suggestible. I never make them and never keep them. So last year my resolution (when finally pressured to make one) was to gain weight. You read it right - gain, not lose. Since I never keep the resolutions anyway, I was delighted to notice that I did not gain any weight this year :roflmao:

Perfect! I don't make/keep them in the traditional way either I guess. They are more general guidelines of what I would like to do. I should also mention that I am a compulsive list-maker. I have lists of everything, groceries, packing, dollhouse supplies, clothes, Christmas ornaments. Thank goodness for flash drives to hold all my nonsense :wub: I used to keep them all in notebooks. :ohmy:

• Like 2

Perfect! I don't make/keep them in the traditional way either I guess. They are more general guidelines of what I would like to do. I should also mention that I am a compulsive list-maker. I have lists of everything, groceries, packing, dollhouse supplies, clothes, Christmas ornaments. Thank goodness for flash drives to hold all my nonsense :wub:/> I used to keep them all in notebooks. :ohmy:/>

OMG! I thought I was the only crazy person who has packing lists. I make lists of ideas for houses, stuff to make them from/with/put in them, recommended books and movies.... The list of lists goes on and on! :roflmao:

Lists? Is something wrong with lists? Oh, dear, do I need more therapy?? :sofa: I don't list groceries (except for what I need to buy on the next trip to store) but I keep an inventory of a lot of things - dh supplies, my mini people, collector's items, :bookread: books ... and I am so thankful for the computers now that have so much memory, and for the back-up system that means I will NEVER lose my wonderful lists!! I even bought a database program that will enable me to list things and organize them any way I like :)

I need to hear more about this database program! Finding a good one has been "on my list" for some time now :rofl: It runs in my family; my grandmother has a filing cabinet for all of her lists. If you need to know what to pack for a week at the lake with 4 people, she's got it; of course, there's another list for only 3 days plus the adjusted list for when you are taking fewer people.

• Like 3

Uh-oh - are you my missing twin? :) I sometimes put up a booth at trade shows, so I have my checklist for that - to be sure I have everything I need. (Who wants to get to the booth and realize you forgot the scissors?) Some events are only one day, which requires another list because it's simpler; then there is the business-meeting-presentation, concise and simple, which requires its own checklist. And traveling? You mean there are people who DON'T make a checklist for that?? Which list do you want - vacation travel? - business travel? - by car? - by plane?

I found a program called MyDatabase (original name, huh?) that I have been using for several years. But when I checked to see if there was an update for it, I couldn't find it at all! It was reasonably priced at I had a coupon for a discount so it fit my budget. I sold fashion jewelry and it was a wonderful way to keep track of my inventory. And being a database, it can be sorted by name, or price, or catalog number - on any field I put in there. I've also used it to keep track of birthdays and anniversarys - and what I gave each grandchild on special dates! (that is so easy to forget!). I haven't shopped for one recently, since mine is still working with the latest Windows update, so I don't know what's out there now. But I love mine - I use it for a lot of things.

We want to start walking the neighborhood again. We have some good hills that make you sweat. I am all healed from the achilles stretch that I was given as a gift in both feet two years ago. It took a good year to heal completely.

Then I was afraid to walk because it might happen again but this year we are going to do it!

I need to do better on my shopping, get back to couponing like I used to. In the fall my husband started a new job, with a $1000/month decrease, so it's really a necessity. It's nice though that the boys' school tuition is rising by "only 4%" this year...

It would also be nice to get/stay more organized, and clean more. We'll see how that goes!