Getting Organized and clearing out the clutter

WyckedWood

Im really feeling the need to stream line my dh hobby stuff and get organized. I don't want to deal with ebay or etsy so our local hospice goodwill store is going to be getting a lot of Michaels little unfinished wood hutches pretty soon lol...Ive been saving so many things, thinking in the back of my mind about a fictitious granddaughter that I may or may not ever have that " may someday want to play with..." its ridiculous. Any ideas for organizing without spending a fortune on organizing? Id really like some ideas about storing paint tubes where I can reach them, but in an attractive display type rack type thingy. Thoughts, ideas or inspiration photos appreciated...

Inventories, building/painting details and journals never seem important when Im actually building, but they sure would b neat to have years later when Ive forgotten paint colors or artists names....or if you want to sell the house someday. Every house should have its own storybook that goes along with it...mine do, but the notes are scattered amongst 10 different notebooks and scribbles on random scratch papers. Probably the best "notebook" I have for each house is actually in my Greenleaf albums. So that's one New Years resolution...more written organized documents for each house.

Hmmm...I'm thinking I have a bunch of stuff I know I won't use. I wonder if we all had things that we don't need - we could ask Ann, the lady that does the dollhouses for children with cancer, if she could use any of it.

• Like 1

Hmmm...I'm thinking I have a bunch of stuff I know I won't use. I wonder if we all had things that we don't need - we could ask Ann, the lady that does the dollhouses for children with cancer, if she could use any of it.

ipb.global.registerReputation( 'rep_post_518970', { domLikeStripId: 'like_post_518970', app: 'forums', type: 'pid', typeid: '518970' }, parseInt('0') );

At one point we had a box making the rounds, whoever started it filled it with the items they wouldn't use after all, and sent it off to another member of the forum; that person took out what they wanted, put in what they weren't going to use, and sent it off again. I never figured out where it went after the person I sent it to got done with it, but maybe we could do something like that again.

• Like 1

Jane, I love the board with the hanging tubes! Ingenious :thumb:

I got several of the craft storage cubes from Michaels for my stuff although I pribably don't have nearly as many supplies as some of you guys. They put them on sale for 40 or 50% off on a pretty regular basis. I also bought the wheeled base, which makes them super easy to transport.

• Like 1

Once I saw on Pinterest that someone got some of those cheap cube storage things -- the kind that are wired and look like a grid if that makes sense -- and used two of them a few inches apart to store paint. I'll see if I can find the photo... Aha! Here it is! http://pinterest.com/pin/273101164875073456/

I just organized my things last night. I took a smallish amazon box, cut off the lid pieces and put all of my little paints and glue bottles in there. It's not very pretty, but it works! Then I went through my plastic two-drawer thingie that I keep all of my minis in and threw away old paint, packaging stuff, and anything I could never see anyone using. It felt GREAT!

• Like 1

Like Blondie, I put all my paints into an open box where I can grab what I need. Most of my tube paints are of a size to fit in the trays that were originally sets of paints (mostly used up & replaced mini times).

I love those Jane! Thanks so much for finding them...the first one makes me wonder if an old spice rack would work for me, and I LOVE the second one. I love rustic looking stuff. Thanks for getting the wheels turning everyone...

I have the big plastic towers on wheels but Id like to pare those down and move away into something more like furniture.

I like that idea Holly, about sending a box around. I just have so much "stuff". Maybe Ill post a few grab bags in the community trading post when I sort through everything.

I always ask myself b4 throwing out or giving things away: Can it be reupholstered with better fabric? Can it be painted white and made fabulous? Can it be painted pink and made fabulous? Can it be broken into pieces to be repurposed? Could it be a planter? Could it be covered in moss for a faerie house?

Those are the questions that always get me in trouble bcause I usually answer "maybe" and the stash grows and grows...

• Like 2

There are some really good ideas in this thread. I have OCD so the clutter just never seems to happen in my hobby room. I am constantly organizing but I am also addicted to giving things away to Goodwill so I don't have much inventory for it to get to the clutter stage. Sometimes I realize I've gotten rid of something that I could use but I'm always too late!

• Like 1

Those are the questions that always get me in trouble because I usually answer "maybe" and the stash grows and grows...

Ain't it the truth!

After I complete the big Tennyson, I'm planning to work exclusively on half scale houses (unless I find a Golden Gate View kit or work up the gumption to try to do it scratch), so I'm planning to downsize :lol: and clear out some stuff.

I like the idea of the traveling box.

• Like 2

Until we move from our current house (hopefully in the next year) I cant open another kit. Theyre much easier to move flat in a box than they are in a state of half built, or built. Its hard for me, but Im concentrating only on rehabs of current houses,and then collecting for the few houses I plan to keep. I will be trying to sell (not expecting much of a profit) most of the houses Ive built except for my Beacon Hill, Faery Manor, Christmas cottage and Brambly Hedge house and Bagget and Tagget and other 4 cottages....lol...see how that works,I cant let go ;-)

One of the reasons I'm going quietly insane because I have nowhere to work on minis until we get a workshop built is that during the move DH put Mildred in the back of our camper and loaded stuff on top of it, and when he drove over some really wretched railroad tracks it damaged her. I'm really concerned about the scratch-built paneled stairs because I have no more of the paper I used for the inserts that is also the parlor & foyer wallpaper.

That would concern me too. When we do move the plan is to put my built houses in the travel trailer to move them, Ill make sure nothing gets stacked on top. Although I seriously doubt my Pierce will fit through the trailer doorway.

Holly, should we start a campaign to get this workshop built?

Who should we address the letters to?

We need you all sound minded and sane.

I have no problem throwing out, giving away, donating, sharing, re-purposing anything and everything

EXCEPT my stash of fine art and all craft supplies. I can't seem to let go of anything because " I might need that on the next project".

It drives my family crazy, because their stuff goes right out the door but mine looks like the season premiere of the hoarders show. sigh ... this addiction is taking over my workspace, one item at a time.

That said, I think donating extra supplies to Ann or some of the others that do charity work is an excellent idea. I'm really going to think seriously on this one.

• Like 1

Holly, should we start a campaign to get this workshop built?

Who should we address the letters to?

We need you all sound minded and sane....

I'd better explain that I've never been totally "all there" in my entire life; but minis do keep me from more extreme behavior, I guess... As for art supplies, let's not go there, huh?

BTW, DH is frantically working on getting the workshop built; the problem is finding out who does things (the man our builder-nextdoor neighbor rented a backhoe from last year to clear his lot for an addition to their house no longer rents out his backhoe).

I am returning to miniatures after 10years. What happened was scrapbooking. I thought it would be easy to update the "baby" books, well that escalated into altered media. To make this short;I have all kinds of supplies. I store my paints in the michael's boxes and made partitions and faced the paints down. Did the same in the "hat boxes" that theyhave and my paper punches go in there.All my tools are it a regular tool box. This sounds very organized until I start a project, then look out. I have more than one thing going and the "creativity" is all over. :D Don't know if this helps anyone.

I do a traveling box with some friends, and I quite like it. Good way to purge and shop at the same time and it helps each other out.

For storage, I have dressers that I have obtained off of craigslist and the side of the road, and they hold most of what i have. I also have some shelves that hold books and whatnot and the loose stuff is corralled by Dollar Tree buckets/baskets/containers. As for my paint, I have 3 foot sections of 1 x 2 drilled directly into the walls and the paint lined up on them. You can see what I mean HERE.

Your craft room is awesome Lyssa, I love the chest of drawers. I like to use furniture for storage too. I have two old shabby desks, one is an antique Larkin,after painting them white so they match I have all of my dh books on them and the drawers filled with fabric,etc.

I love tackle boxes for all those small bits & bobs. I have one that's dedicated to dollmaking and others for accessories, furniture parts, etc. Of course, once I'm in The Zone, everything comes out and that's that.