CA glue?

wastedutopia

I'm getting ready to start on an Orchid that I got as a Christmas gift. This will be my first dollhouse, but I've made many architectural models so I'm no stranger to gluing tiny pieces of wood together. I've always used a CA (Cyanoacrylate)

glue like http://www.amazon.co...eywords=ca+glue for my models.

I haven't seen this type of glue mentioned in any of the dollhouse construction websites I've looked at. Is there any reason why this kind of glue would be a poor choice? I'm planning on using the wood glue/tacky glue method for the large core parts, since I want the dry time to make sure everything is square, but I would really like the fast dry feature of the CA for the components (not to mention I have a ton of it lying around).

I find CA glue doesn't work well for miniatures made of wood. White or wood glue is the better choice. You want a good bond at joints and seams, and while I'm not an expert, CA glue is more for spot bonding, not large areas. Several people here have mentioned using CA glue to "hold" difficult spots while the white or wood glue dries. I don't know about smaller kits like furniture. I still use white glue for these as well, but it might work for these things.

The other members of this forum should chime in soon with their thoughts.

I have found that with some of the tougher joints if I mix a little CA with the wood glue I get a really good bond. I have a lot of Zap-A-Gap on hand and learned to mix from a couple of people in my mini club. I don't use a lot on the structures, but found that it works well with other surfaces (furniture, accessories, etc.).

Ive never used CA , but when building dollhouses and miniatures youre going to eventually want a "Glue Arsenal". I have one cupboard devoted to different glues. Even *gasp* hot glue.... Which has its place too. If I could only have one glue for building and every other facet of this hobby it would be hands down Aleenes Tacky Glue.