Supply Lists

WyckedWood

I think it would be nice to have a Supply List pinned. Something that would b more extensive and updated than what comes in the instructions with the kits. It seems to be the most commonly asked question for the new members. Or maybe a "Commonly Asked Questions" pin. Just thinkin out loud ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I would like a suply list too. This will be my first house and I am so excited to start but want to make sure I get what's needed. I recived

The Orchid house for Christmast. I'm so tempted to start buying everything to do with it but I know that wouldn't be a good way to start. Need to know what kind of paint I need and any other suggested would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Boy, "new" is sure the word. The only supplies I'm sure of are the ones that came with the directions. I'm an old hand at painting sweatshirts etc material paints, but I'm sure I need may acrylic? Maybe my best bet is to go to an AC Moore or craft store to find out exactly what I need.

I thought I had replied to this thread. I recommend doing a search for "getting started"; you'll find lists for tools and supplies out the yin-yang. My own basic list is a roll of 2"wide masking tape for the dry fit (you first build the kit without gluing anything, using masking tape to hold parts together; this allows you to shave tabs & slots for a perfect fit. Sandpaper, I cut mine to fit my sanding block; emery boards are lovely for fiddly bits like the gingerbread trim. For cutting I use a Stanley box-cutter type utility knife, it's much sturdier for my old hands than a craft knife. I have a carpenter's square to check for plumb abd for squaring corners. IMHO one cannot have too many clampsI don't care that the instructions may say to use hot glue (if you do, and your house starts to fall apart, send it to me and I'll rehab it for Toys for Tots); I use a good carpenter's wood glue (the yeller stuff) for wood and Elmer's all-purpose white glue for the clear acetate window & door inserts. A steel ruler with a cork backing is useful. Everything else is nice to have, especially if, like me, you wind up making your own furniture, dolls and accessories.

I think a pinned "getting started" post would be great! I've been collecting tips and ideas from here for a long time, and have them in MSW files on my computer - but even those I have to reorganize now and then. It takes a lot of time on the forum to follow the search results - and often they are not relevant to what we wanted in the first place. Then, of course, it's fun to follow the "rabbit trail" and get totally sidetracked and forget the quick question we started with. :rofl:

My concern is that someone new to the site (and just opening up their new kit) wouldn't know how to navigate around here to find specific threads related to supplies. It would be a good time to do one too, with Christmas over and all of those new kits out there waiting to be built...:-)

• Like 1

I went to AC Moore last night and the only person in the store that looked available was a young girl in the framing department. Lo and behold she was into doll houses (actually mostly single rooms ?? boxes??) Anyway she was great walked around with me suggesting asking pertinent questions and I walked out of there with everything I needed to get started and more confidence then when I went in. She didn't try to steer me to the most expensive items either. She also showed me some pictures of some things she had done and alot of the accessories that I would have to buy she made out of clay, such as what looked like a terracotta pot with flowers, a flower covered arbor and a picnic basket with all the items you'd expect to find, what a nice, talented creative kid. Anyway fellow doll house fanactic's (which I now consider myself) wish me luck.

• Like 1

I think having a pinned supply list would be fabulous.

I remember when I first joined, asking tons of questions that had been already asked a million times. I'm sure it was so boring to the seasoned builders but thankfully GL has gracious and patient members and I was walked thru many of those beginning steps with kind words and much encouragement.

However, it would have been great to have some of the basics covered in a couple different threads like a supply or tool list or a basic do's and don'ts list.

• Like 1

I think having a pinned supply list would be fabulous.

I remember when I first joined, asking tons of questions that had been already asked a million times. I'm sure it was so boring to the seasoned builders but thankfully GL has gracious and patient members and I was walked thru many of those beginning steps with kind words and much encouragement.

However, it would have been great to have some of the basics covered in a couple different threads like a supply or tool list or a basic do's and don'ts list.

I cn't speak for all the others who answer the same questions more than once, but I don't mind because sometimes I've discovered another tool or a new or simpler way to do something since last time.