New to the Miniature World and started "The Fairfield"

shaseltine

Hello Everyone,

I received "The Fairfield" for a belated 50th birthday present. My brother thought I needed a new hobby so that I don't start opening up my house to stray cats. :)

So far, I have spent a small fortune on supplies, tools, etc., but I finally started the house and have the foundation finished. I just want to thank all of you for the tips and tricks that I have found on this site. I believe I would be lost as to what to do, if I had not come across this site and a few others that have helped to welcome me into this tiny world.

Thanks

Sue

Welcome to the forum!

The costs may add up over time, but all hobbies cost something. Parenthood has curtailed my previous passion- motorcycle road trips, and spending income on sporting events, beer, or other things wouldn't be nearly as productive or stimulating as building houses.

• Like 1

Jeremy, I have temporarily posted my email in my profile under "website url", you will need to remove spaces & parentheses. Your GPS will not get you to oour house, because it will route you through a subdivision that has fenced off the end of their road that connects with our road, and I will need to send you a better routing.

LOL, now that I think of it...it is cheaper then my son and therapy! I can see that it can become addicting and may require therapy to curtail the spending! :)

My brother does some incredible room boxes and sells furniture etc. on ebay...I think this is his ploy to get me to become a regular customer...

Check out his Flicker account...if only I had a tenth of his talent.

http://www.flickr.co...s/50655402@N03/

Have a wonderful weekend,

Sue

• Like 1

I have always said my crafting is my therapy. Mostly mini's but I knit in RL size as well as mini. And a lil scrapbooking and every other craft here and there. Especially if I can make it mini :) At any rate, this IS therapy and I agree with Karin, it's cheaper! I have given this as my excuse for decades now. From what I understand, it's a LOT cheaper. That being said.........WELCOME SUSAN TO A WORLD WHERE THE CRAZIER THE BETTER! Who needs therapy? It only ruins the fun :)

• Like 2

LOL, now that I think of it...it is cheaper then my son and therapy! I can see that it can become addicting and may require therapy to curtail the spending! :)/>

My brother does some incredible room boxes and sells furniture etc. on ebay...I think this is his ploy to get me to become a regular customer...

Check out his Flicker account...if only I had a tenth of his talent.

http://www.flickr.co...s/50655402@N03/

Have a wonderful weekend,

Sue

Susan, I'm familiar with your brother's work and its beautiful! He is also my favorite eBay seller! Don't be intimidated. Ask for lessons from him!

• Like 1

I too am a brand new dollhouse hobbiest!! And I too chose the Fairfield for my first house. I agree on the "spending a small fortune" but I plan on making many houses so they will all come in handy. I have found lots of great websites for furniture and other things. When I first got my house, I did not realize what the scales meant. I have found it difficult to find much for the 1/2 inch scale. I will definately look at a 1 inch scale dollhouse for my second build. Let me know if you want a list of the websites I am using. Have fun, I know I am !!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Melissa, the furniture sets I bought from HBS for my Fairfields was MUCH smaller than the 1:24 kits and scratch builds I made, especially with the dolls, and I wound up making all the rest of the furniture. I have several books of 1:12 furniture patterns that I scaled down to 1:24 to build.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the comments regarding my brother’s work. He is truly an artist and I am very proud of him. He lives in Oregon and I am in California, so I think a visit to see some of his techniques will be planned soon. :)

I have made some progress on the Fairfield with the foundation primed and the Chimney sub-assembly completed. Thank goodness for the tip about dry building! I don’t know about all of you, but I’m finding that the instructions are far from clear, but I did manage to put the darn thing together.

Have a great week,

Sue

• Like 1