Beacon Hill- "weird walls"

mom2blu

I'm rehabbing a Beacon Hill and have two spots that are bothering and puzzling me.

On the second floor one room has a closet. That drives me crazy since it's historically inaccurate, and also a weird waste of space. Then the room above it on the third floor has a section jutting out. Both spaces seem like a waste of space in what is already not a huge area to work with, and I am thinking of taking them out. BUT since I didn't build the house I wanted to make sure there isn't something I'm missing. Is there a reason they're there? I don't want to try to remove them and the whole house fall down! lol

Since the house was built with hot glue removing them isn't tricky, but I just want to be sure they aren't holding up something that I don't realize.

Any input?

I can't speak to the BH specifically, but I can tell you that I have removed closets and reworked walls in the past. Structurally there should be enough support with the little bit you are talking about removing. I say go for it. This will allow you to add your own little style to the rehab.

Unless someone greatly advises against it then I'm sure I'll be taking them out. I'd just hate to be in the middle of it and find out that it was a key part to the tower or something.

The best thing is I got the house for a steal, so the worst that happens is that I rebuild it. Still would have saved a ton from a kit.

Shannon, I think it's already built. Whereas, were it built with hot glue and I were doing the rehab I'd take it completely apart to scrape off all the hot glue and then rebuild it, complete with dry fit (as I'm doing Mildred), I don't think most folks are that OCD.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a look at my beacon hill that is still under construction. Taking out the closet and straightening the wall shouldn't be a problem since it is not supporting anything. I would stick to leaving the wall where it is and just close the gap. It will enlarge the first floor landing without any problem.. The second floor is a bit more tricky. That bit is actually supporting part of the roof. If you take that out, there will be no support for the roof and leave you with a big gap..

My Beacon Hill was half built when I got it and it came with some serious problems, so I have taken it to pieces. I used a hairdryer to loosen the glue..

Hope this helps..

The third floor closet helps close a gap you would see from the front in between the Mansard roof (the smallest part of it right in front on the left) and the main tower wall. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to get rid of the closet, but you'll have to add some wood in there to keep from being able to see through the house. I hope that makes sense to you... If you look at the house from the front, you should be able to see what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this I was wondering the same thing about mine, seems like a waste of space to me as well. I too will be leaving those out, and will get a better idea I am sure once I get to the top floor of the gap you are referring too.

I needed the gap to be there while I was installing the Mansard roof and trim. I had to reach in there from the back and the front -- so definitely wait to seal it up until you are finished with the roof. But then it should be OK to work around it. I'm interested to see how the room looks without the closet! I like my closet, but I know it's nice to always have more room.