How to simulate icicles on a house eve

Guest Happy Heart

Guest Happy Heart

I'm making a Christmas facade house, meaning it's a very shallow 2 inches deep. I'm wondering how to simulate icicles forming and meling on the exterior roof eves.

Guest Happy Heart

Found this from MsMiniLover on youtube. She used hot glue in little icecle shaped blobs and popped them in cold water to set them fast and glued them on then.

Decided to look for it:

Hope I did that right :bigwink:

Can't see the picture, so something didn't work properly.

I have a tutorial in the Dec. issue of American Miniaturist for icicles and snowy windows, pick up a copy if you can its a great Christmas issue, but if not...in short...I just used faux water from Walmart (cheap, microwavable) melted it and ran it off the tip of a toothpick down the eave. It sticks to the house and u can build up a larger icicle by doing to more layers of drips over the same icicle.

• Like 1

If you go to youtube.com, enter a search for ms mini lover, you will get a list of all of her videos. This one is at the top of the list. She has alot of great ideas in her videos. This is in reference to the video in the above posts, for some reason when I'm using my android tablet it won't allow me to use the quote feature in my posts.

Another method for icicles (and I don't remember where I read this) is to cut a piece of sewing thread and tie short lengths of thread at intervals along it, then tie one end and hold the other over a pieced of waxed paper (or newspaper, I think would work as well) and drip white tacky glue along the thread, letting it run down the short thread lengths and when it's dry you can glue it to the edges of your eaves.

For anyone interested I was just window shopping on ebay and noticed Kerbey Lane Miniatures has ready made icicles in 1:12, very reasonably priced. Sorry I didn't copy the link. Looks like u could glue them to the eave and cover the glued area with powdered snow maybe.

Guest Happy Heart

For anyone interested I was just window shopping on ebay and noticed Kerbey Lane Miniatures has ready made icicles in 1:12, very reasonably priced. Sorry I didn't copy the link. Looks like u could glue them to the eave and cover the glued area with powdered snow maybe.

Now does that mean you were just perusing windows or were you literally shopping for window? lol

Guest Happy Heart

Poked holes in styrofoam with a tapered wooden skewer and poured liquid water into them. Worked quite well. Will post a photo once the Christmas house is done.