A Tribute To Grandmas

Lady Grey

I lost one of the most wonderful people in my world back in 2011. My paternal Grandma. I have been thinking of her as she was the most creative person I ever knew. She taught me everything I know domestically and that is quite a privilege. I love miniatures because of her influence. SHe could do everything and do it perfectly. I miss Dear Grandma.

I know there are people who are unfortunate to have never known their Grandmas, and that is truly a sad thing. Grandmas are the breath of fresh air to us and the Spring in our year. No one can be so nurturing and so loving as a Grandma. I was so very fortunate to have known both my Grandmas in my life. My maternal Grandma died 11 years ago. She was the complete opposite of my pateral Grandma, but she was wonderful too - so wonderful.

My Grandma was actually more of an intellectual influence on me than my parents. It was a special relationship.

To share just a fraction of how wonderful my Grandma was would take multiple threads on this forum. So instead, would you all please share some of the most wonderful moments you remember - or are now enjoying - with your Grandmas?

Grandma's are truly wonderful. I too was fortunate to know both of mine. My paternal Grandma passed and I think of her so much. She was so very kind and loving and calm and patient. She even taught my mother how to drive! I was fortunate to have known her my whole life. Then there is my maternal Grandma. She lived in Hawaii. I didn't get to meet or go to Hawaii until I was 12 or so. We had a special bond. Even tho she was the elder and us young ones should have been the ones to take care of her - she always insisted on taking care of us. Now she did not speak a whole lot of English and I didn't speak a whole lot of Japanese but yet we had these wonderful conversations and times together. She was a very wonderful amazing person. I love them and miss them both so much. I feel so honored to have been their granddaughter.

I, too, was lucky enough to have both my grandma's until well into adulthood. Both taught me needlework skills and appreciation of antiques and history, and also how to create things from simple objects. It was my grandfather that taught be how to work and create in miniature's tho. There is nothing better than grandparents!

Due to my birth parents divorcing before I was 4 I never knew my paternal grandparents (although family research suggests my paternal grandfather was Native American). My maternal grandma was the youngest child, only girl and only member of her family to be born in the US (they emigrated from Scotland just before she was born). She taught me the domestic stuff, especially needlework.

Lucky enough to have had both grandmas until I was a mother myself and my kids got to know both of them. One taught me to knit, the other to crochet, and both were exemplars of will over adversity. Both great cooks and bakers. One lived with my own mother from age 92 when we moved her up to Michigan from Indiana (we made her quit driving) until her death at age 99.

Guest Happy Heart

My mom's mom passed away years before I was born and I was very young when my dad's mom passed away but I remember her baking bread and tea bisquits in her kitchen in the old cast iron oven that I still have.

I think of Nan EVERY time I bake bisquits and my mom when the smell of Christmas and other cakes fill my home. My mother so loved Christmas (as do I) and that's why I refuse to allow sadness and the greed of some to ruin it.

My mom's mom passed away years before I was born and I was very young when my dad's mom passed away but I remember her baking bread and tea bisquits in her kitchen in the old cast iron oven that I still have.

I think of Nan EVERY time I bake bisquits and my mom when the smell of Christmas and other cakes fill my home. My mother so loved Christmas (as do I) and that's why I refuse to allow sadness and the greed of some to ruin it.

That is one thing that remimds me of my mother's mother - the smell of her kitchen. And the Christmas time is a wonderful time to recreate those wonderful aromas. I cannot wait to do some baking for Christmas.