Crackle texture questions

fov

A while ago I got a jar of DecoArt crackle texture on clearance. (The jar looks like this.) Today I opened it for the first time and it's hard as a rock. The barrier that's supposed to go across the top (under the lid) to create a seal seems not to have been sealed tight. No wonder it was on clearance. :(

I've never used this stuff before, so I'm not sure what it's supposed to be like, but I'm assuming it should be paint-like and then harden as it dries. Is there anything I can do make it useable, add water maybe? I have no problem messing around with it since it seems like it'll be going in the trash otherwise, but I don't know what the consistency should be like (or if water would even help).

I've used a different brand, but they are water soluble; so there should be no harm in adding some water to see if you can get it to mix back up. It should be about the consistency of craft acrylic paint or wood glue.

As Pam mentioned there have been instructions floating around about how to make crackle finish using glues, might be worth a few test runs, if you can't water the crackle rock down :)

I exaggerated, it's not rock hard. (Well, I thought it was, but after I posted this I stuck my finger in it...) It was too hard to spread, though. The consistency of, say, a brick of cream cheese... that's spent a little time in the freezer. :p

I dug some out, added some water, and roughly painted it onto the furniture with a brush. It definitely didn't work like it was supposed to! It provided texture, but no crackle. I might have used it wrong though (and I'm pretty sure I used too much water).

When am I supposed to apply paint - immediately after applying the texture, or wait for it to dry first? I waited for it to dry and then started thinking -- too late -- that I should have applied the paint right away so it would pull away as the stuff underneath hardened...

This was Dollar Store furniture, so no harm done really, but I'd still like to learn how to do this right!

When you use glue, you paint the item first if it is unpainted, let that dry, then put your glue or crackle stuff on and before that dries

ie right away. add your final coat of paint over the wet or moist crackle medium I think. it will crackle when it is dry.

It should say on the bottle if it is water based, If so you should be able to add water. That stuff is spendy lol I think if it were me I would try to save it.

Thanks... now I'm wondering if it would have crackled if I'd painted it right away. I think the consistency was still too watery. But I'll experiment with it again another time. (The clearance price I paid was something like $2 marked down from $9, so it would be a shame to toss it!)

I pulled mine out and looked at the label. It is Martha Stewart. Apply primer and then it says put on a light coat for small cracks and a thicker coat for larger cracks. I just bought it, but haven't used it yet. I got it for the furniture in my Little Shop of Horrors build. I will try it out Sunday and let you know if it works.