Dollar Tree

minime

Thanks for the tip! I got some of these today. The first store I checked didn't have any but the second did, both the raw wood and the red finish. (For some reason we have two Dollar Trees within a mile of each other...)

The last time I bought this furniture, a few years ago, it had a shiny finish over the red. The red stuff I saw today seemed not to have that. Does anyone know? I'm thinking if it's just painted or stained, but not sealed, that it might be easier to paint over than the ones I bought years ago.

Anyway, I got a sideboard, two dressers, and a bed (which is more like half scale). I played with the sideboard and dressers this afternoon and think they came out not bad for a dollar each. I'm not 100% sure if I like the shabby chic dressers, it's the first time I've tried this. But the price was right! More pics on my blog.

post-7-0-42376400-1353809886_thumb.jpg post-7-0-64748500-1353809892_thumb.jpg post-7-0-10549500-1353809896_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

For anyone else who's picking up some of these (or has them lying around), I came across some great tutorials for the Dollar Tree furniture:

http://olddaysoldway.../dollar%20store

http://mrsgreene.inf...ouse-furniture/ (wish I'd seen this one before I started on my own distressed dresser!)

My parents are building my niece a dollhouse for Christmas and they still need some furniture, so I'm headed back to the store tomorrow to buy out their stock... :lol:

• Like 2

Some of those "Old Days Old Ways" tutorials have great ideas for making the items more to scale... like removing the legs on the table and replacing with 1:12 banister spindles to make them a bit taller. I'm going to try that!

I went to the local store yestereday and for a dollar each was OK with the workmanship. It's sturdy enough for little hands, so hopefully the grandkids will be able to handle these and leave the more fragile stuff alone in the "big house." Thanks for the heads-up.

I went to the local store yestereday and for a dollar each was OK with the workmanship. It's sturdy enough for little hands, so hopefully the grandkids will be able to handle these and leave the more fragile stuff alone in the "big house." Thanks for the heads-up.

That is a great idea. We certainly don't want them playing with our Bespaq LOL I should someday, when I get time, make a special house to keep here and decorate it more with the cheap stuff so they can play and not just ooh and ahh. I have made 3 of my grandkids houses, boys get log cabins, ......I do have 3 more but have not been well until recently. My daughter adopted 3 brothers that are special needs.......Gosh that has been four years........I better hustle. They are now 6,8, and 12!

Keep looking! I went to three different stores within a few miles of each other - one had zero, one had a few of the raw wood and a ton of the red wood, and the last one had a ton of the raw wood. At the second store I asked if they expected to get more in stock and the woman said she had no idea and it's not up to the store, that they just receive whatever the home office decides to send.

Whenever people post about things they have found at a Dollar store - I go check out mine for weeks and never find the items. I wonder if some items only go to certain areas of the country and not others and vice versa? The Dollar Tree store here only had a few of the red finished items, just the little bed and a table.

Whenever people post about things they have found at a Dollar store - I go check out mine for weeks and never find the items. I wonder if some items only go to certain areas of the country and not others and vice versa? The Dollar Tree store here only had a few of the red finished items, just the little bed and a table.

I often have the same problem, although my daughter did tell me they have some mini's over here, but we have one store in the nearby town, 4 miles away. All the other ones are at least 45 miles away ugh as is most everything else lol oh well........will just have to make more from scratch lol

I often have the same problem, although my daughter did tell me they have some mini's over here, but we have one store in the nearby town, 4 miles away. All the other ones are at least 45 miles away ugh as is most everything else lol oh well........will just have to make more from scratch lol

There is another Dollar store in the next town over, I may see if I can get over there this week. When this area finally got a craft store - A.C.Moore - I was doing the happy dance a few years ago. Now I find out that they are phasing out their miniature section. It had been an entire aisle, now it is barely 1/3 of an aisle with mostly things I can't use or don't want. Then a Michaels craft store opened up a few miles from A.C.Moore, however - they don't sell miniature things. I don't mind buying online, but really like to see things in person.

Thank you! I need to put this on my list of things to look for this week. It occurred to me this afternoon that I am finishing up a house for my niece to be delivered next weekend, and there is no furniture for it... I was going to go through my stash and see what I have, but a few $Tree fillers would be good. That's what we did for her sister last year. Of course, if it's unfinished, that's more painting for me to do...

Well I finally got over to the 1.00 store yesterday. I almost didn't buy any of the furniture because of the scale, although the dressers and side table may be ok, but the table and chairs and bed are too small. I went ahead and got 9 pieces of it though and what I will do is the paint and distress all of it. Will use the bed as a toddler bed and the table and chairs as toddler or childrens furniture for in their room and think it will work well as that. Now where to store them till I "get around" to it

thanks for the heads up, tips and links all of you!

oh I did get a pkg of moss type stuff that may work as Carrot Greens etc. I plan to have a large general store.......Someday......:)

I've checked the website and these pieces are not there, unfortunately.

Cheryl, one of the links I posted on the first page of this thread had a great tutorial for making the table more to scale. You just remove the legs and replace them with taller legs. The tutorial used 1:12 banister spindles which look nice with the apron under the table and give it a really dainty look. I haven't seen the chairs (my stores didn't have them) so I don't know how that might mess up the proportions, but maybe you could add a thick cushion to the seat of the chair?

The dressers and sideboard are perfect for 1:12. I'll be using the bed for half scale.

I found a few of the unfinished pieces in our Dollar Tree today, and in the games they had a chair stacking game of little plastic chairs, I thought they'd make great chairs or a child size table, they came w here colors, blue pink and green.

• Like 1