Need ideas for cheap siding and cheap roofing

mininecessities

I keep looking at the cost for siding and shingles, thinking, wow I could buy another house for that money........I need it for the Garfield so it takes a lot.

I am thinking either paper clay or stucco for the exterior of the house, or of course egg crate stones,

Would paper clay be faster than egg crate stones, I mean could you make it in shapes on the house or something. I have no idea how to do paper clay.

I do have this neat textured wallpaper that would look neat, I think, on the outside of the house. Seems I saw a house, it looked like they used that. It comes in a big roll ya know for real houses. But even though it looks like stucco maybe it is too perfect to look real?

Wow the roof, I figured the cost of 60 grit sandpaper for shingles, and it is almost as much. and if I put poster board behind it, that is even more costs.

Anyone have any ideas for Cheap ways to do this stuff. Is there a way to use egg cartons or cardboard and make a realistic looking roof?

I love saving money when I can ........and especially when I HAVE to haha

thanks Cheryl

Here are a couple of ideas. "Mad for Mod" has a tutorial in her blog on making stone out of newspaper. I am actually doing the same for a roombox I am working on.

You can find the tutorial here: http://minimodpod.blogspot.com/2011/09/making-stone-out-of-newspaper.html

Also, Holly has a tutorial in here somewhere on making bricks out of sandpaper. She also uses spackle for stucco and I am sure she will see this post and get the links for you. I just searched, but couldn't find them. The sad part is that I just saw them over the weekend...

Here are a couple of ideas. "Mad for Mod" has a tutorial in her blog on making stone out of newspaper. I am actually doing the same for a roombox I am working on.

You can find the tutorial here: http://minimodpod.bl...-newspaper.html

Also, Holly has a tutorial in here somewhere on making bricks out of sandpaper. She also uses spackle for stucco and I am sure she will see this post and get the links for you. I just searched, but couldn't find them. The sad part is that I just saw them over the weekend...

Thanks Gonzo, will check it out, I know there are tons of ideas on here , but doing a search seems get me off track lol........I thought I saw someone on here who did a roof out of paper clay (however you do that) lol but of course I have no idea where it is. I want something fast and cheap and I don't think the combo is going to happen haha

You can find the tutorial here: http://minimodpod.bl...-newspaper.html

wow that tutorial is great. I can't believe how realistic they look! With egg cartons, it is hard to get the exact texture on all of them. Maybe I will try the newspaper thing. thanks!

Sandpaper bricks are described in the entries for August 22, 23 & 24 in the Team Glencroft blog: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=9&st=20 and the black construction paper roof "slates" in the entry for September 3: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=9&st=10 If you have a paper chopper

model-no-gtb-040c-755144.jpgand empty cereal or other cardboard boxes you can flatten them and cut siding strips (or shingles) for uber-cheap source.

Sandpaper bricks are described in the entries for August 22, 23 & 24 in the Team Glencroft blog: http://www.greenleaf...&blogid=9&st=20 and the black construction paper roof "slates" in the entry for September 3: http://www.greenleaf...&blogid=9&st=10 If you have a paper chopper

model-no-gtb-040c-755144.jpgand empty cereal or other cardboard boxes you can flatten them and cut siding strips (or shingles) for uber-cheap source.

thanks Holly, just realized I have a package of black card stock I had bought for jewelry cards. I like the cereal box idea for shingles and siding, but how do you keep it from curling if you paint it? :cheers:

and oh yeah I have a paper cutter like in the pic above........it has been a life saver!

...the cereal box idea for shingles and siding, but how do you keep it from curling if you paint it?...
install it and spray or paint it with a clear sealer. When that's dry paint it; if it curls or ripples it'll probably flatten back out when it dries.

When I built my second dollhouse I made it from the scraps that were left over

from the McKinley I bashed built.

My plan was to not spend any money on this dollhouse and I stuck to it.

I did buy some glue though, but anyway, I had a few stripes of siding and half a bag

of roof shingles.

For the siding I used a couple of boxes that are used to send documents or whatever that came

from the post office. They were the exact thickness of the wooden strips, easy to cut.

I coated the pieces varnish which made them ridged and easy to paint.

(FYI You can order as many boxes in various sizes as you want from the post office.

They are free and delivered to your door step too! Anyone can order them

at the USPS.com )

For shingles, I ended up using cereal boxes. The inside of the box is a nice brown color,

I colored them using colored pencils to simulate the various colors my real shingles had.

I have a few pictures of the house in "my Gallery" in the album titled "The Scrappy".

You should take a look. Youd be surprised.

I also have a good Brick recipe with pictures.

For under 15 dollars you can make at least 500 or more bricks.

install it and spray or paint it with a clear sealer. When that's dry paint it; if it curls or ripples it'll probably flatten back out when it dries.

thanks! speaking of curling up, when I did my granddaughters house, I used scrapbook paper and didn't put it on card stock, just glued it to the walls and it was all horribly wringled and rippled .......! But guess what, it was all flat when completely dry. Kind of a miracle......I thought. Fabric will do that too. but it doesn't flatten back out like the paper did...........so I use wonder under and iron it to card stock..........or poster board if I need a bigger piece.

When I built my second dollhouse I made it from the scraps that were left over

from the McKinley I bashed built.

My plan was to not spend any money on this dollhouse and I stuck to it.

I did buy some glue though, but anyway, I had a few stripes of siding and half a bag

of roof shingles.

For the siding I used a couple of boxes that are used to send documents or whatever that came

from the post office. They were the exact thickness of the wooden strips, easy to cut.

I coated the pieces varnish which made them ridged and easy to paint.

(FYI You can order as many boxes in various sizes as you want from the post office.

They are free and delivered to your door step too! Anyone can order them

at the USPS.com )

For shingles, I ended up using cereal boxes. The inside of the box is a nice brown color,

I colored them using colored pencils to simulate the various colors my real shingles had.

I have a few pictures of the house in "my Gallery" in the album titled "The Scrappy".

You should take a look. Youd be surprised.

I also have a good Brick recipe with pictures.

For under 15 dollars you can make at least 500 or more bricks.

awesome house!! great job! Where is the tutorial on the bricks?

Paperclay is actually kind of expensive, I think... Egg carton is a great cheap trick (that I am using on the Willow right now: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=82), and I love that newspaper tut above.

For roofing on a couple of my Spring Fling builds, I have used cut-up scraps from all the die-cut sheets I have lying around...

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=5928

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=4176

• Like 1

If you have a food processor you can dedicate to nonfood you can make your own papermache with newspapers and white glue; tear the newspaper into strips and drop them into boiling water for about ten minutes, giving them a stir from time to time, then scoop them out, letting the water drain back into the pot (you keep adding newpaper strips and water as needed until you have a couple of processor loads, at least); whiz the boiled newpaper with white glue until the consistency of very thick frosting and spread it out about 1/8" thick (more or less) onto sheets of waxed paper you have taped onto a flat surface and let it dry. You can cut it into bricks or tear it into stones.

• Like 2

I used card stock to make siding for my Primrose/whaddaycallit bash. Just cut strips of the cardstock, and glued each strip to the house. It was good in one way because it was easy to side odd spaces - I just cut off the bits of cardstock I didn't need.

I glued the strips with Tacky glue, and none of them wrinkled or curled.

I didn't try to paint them - I used the color card stock I wanted.

I already had the card stock - I'm a Stampin' Up customer LOL.

Are you finished with the build? The siding and roofing are amongst the last things youll have to deal with maybe you would have time to gather materials by then if you arent to that point yet. Ive bought large bags of shingles on ebay for a decent price. I would think a stucco material would b the nicest lowest cost method for the exterior. The price of paperclay has gone up (at least in my area) so Im not sure thats the way to go if youre trying to save. Someone had used a textured spray paint on their exterior...I think it was on a Westville,it was a stone look,that would be pretty inexpensive too, and it was a neat effect.

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone....no I am not at the point to do this, just thinking ahead. Now trying to make some decisons. I think I may go either with a stucco finish or egg cartons (or my own handmade stuff) I like the idea of card stock but when I move the house, the card stock will get bent I think,

purchasing shingles .......gee I worry about going around those curved window.........

I like the idea of spray paint, but would have to do it indoors and I would have a lot of taping off to do. but I may look into that.

just open the big window in here........and cover things I don't want to get the spray on. Not sure how I would spray the walls of the porch ........boy lots to think about. I tell you what next time I do a house I sure will do as much as I can before putting it together, as if I use spray or the thick wallpaper it is going to be hard,. Right now, I am getting ready to work on ceilings, want to paper them and good grief........may try to put the house on it's side somehow to get in and make a template of the ceilings. I can make a template with small pieces taped together but there are a lot of things very very hard to reach in the Garfield if it together lol

I should have found this board BEFORE I started on this house.......well I best get busy huh? Have so much to do to get ready for Thanksgiving it is hard to get into it ........I may not get much done till after the holiday. I don't do Black Friday so will have that day lol

I found a great source for free cereal-box-weight-cardboard. You know the paper bags for lawn clippings and leaves they at home depot/lowes? They are always displayed in the giant box they come in with the cardboard separating the layers of bags. So the last time I was there I just asked if I could take the large packaging sheet of cardboard with me and they were happy to see it go. It's 5 feet square or so, and I've been using it for furniture, siding, trim. Since it's not coated on the one side the way food boxes are, it worked great and never warped on me.

• Like 1

The cardboard would be glued down to the plywood, I wouldn't think it would bend, especially after being sealed. Spackling compound makes nice, cheap stucco, you can texture it by popping the wet surface with an expired credit card. Do not use aerosol sprays indoors, no matter how carefully you mask and cover the spray goes everywhere, as I have found out on several occasions...

• Like 1

I remember someone on here cut a old credit card to make angles then coverd the outside walls of their house in wall plaster putty then let is set a minute and then dragged across the card to make the outside walls look like wood strips that overlap each other. Err can't find the house in the gallery either but I know I have seen it here before. Does anyone know what I am talking about? It looked great too.

• Like 1

The cardboard would be glued down to the plywood, I wouldn't think it would bend, especially after being sealed. Spackling compound makes nice, cheap stucco, you can texture it by popping the wet surface with an expired credit card. Do not use aerosol sprays indoors, no matter how carefully you mask and cover the spray goes everywhere, as I have found out on several occasions...

I will have to check that out at Home Depot! Thanks for the tip Kathryn!

Hmmm well I may just try cardboard Holly, .......was just not sure about the part I overlap but guess that would glued down also? I am thinking it would take a long time to collect enough cereal boxes, and I don't think all boxes have the same thickiness......so may opt for card stock........

Is Drywall Mud the same as what you guys are talking about......I know it isn't spackle but does anyone use Drywall Mud on exterior walls? You can buy it in big containers already mixed.....

I remember someone on here cut a old credit card to make angles then coverd the outside walls of their house in wall plaster putty then let is set a minute and then dragged across the card to make the outside walls look like wood strips that overlap each other. Err can't find the house in the gallery either but I know I have seen it here before. Does anyone know what I am talking about? It looked great too.

Sounds like Wyckedwood's Beacon Hill

Dry wall mud and spackling compound both come premixed. The "comb" technique for texturing the "mud" (or spackle) to look like clapboard was originally in an article in one of the earliest issues of American Miniaturist in Sherise Landry's "skellie" house (there were two articles in two different issues, so I don't remember which one had the "comb"); the house was two bashed Buttercup kits.

• Like 1