What do you collect other than miniatures?

Guest Happy Heart

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Back hen the Sobols were doing DIY articles for The American Miniaturist magazine one of the articles was how they do the caning for their itty 1:12 chairs.  A card pattern is cut to match the shape of the piece to be caned and with a needle holes are punched all around the piece halfway between the edges.  Using crochet thread (or I think heavy quilting thread might also work) Millie weaves the "cane" and when it's finished it's given a couple of coats of varnish that both colors it and hardens it.  The card is carefully removed and the caning is ready to go into its chair.

I found the pin, but can't find the actual article in the web site.  It doesn't help that it is all small and hard for me to read, so I might be missing it.  Their work is amazing, very serious work, just wish I had $1100 for the caned chest!

The link was to show what their caning looks like, I don't have one to the article in AM.  Here's what I did find, you have to scroll down to see what the caning on the card looks like:  http://thesoboleditions.blogspot.com/2013/03/American-Miniaturist-Magazine26.html

I see what you mean by a card, it is kind of like caning when you put a whole piece in with a spline around the edge instead of weaving it on the chair that has holes instead of the groove.  Intriguing.  I did a rocking chair with the grove and found it difficult to get in tight the first time, I redid it several years later and it is still doing fine.  I love his side table with the cane front.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Jules Beth said:

I don't know if I can call this a collection, but I am an obsessive genealogist. I collect ancestors!

I collect dead people, too. :D Lots and lots of dead people both in my family and my late husband's. Have had good luck in some areas and have a few brick walls. Best outcome was meeting a French cousin, visiting with him in France and entertaining him in New Orleans. 

17 minutes ago, KathieB said:

I collect dead people, too. :D Lots and lots of dead people both in my family and my late husband's. Have had good luck in some areas and have a few brick walls. Best outcome was meeting a French cousin, visiting with him in France and entertaining him in New Orleans. 

How cool getting to meet your French cousin! The brick walls come with the territory don't they. But what a feeling of accomplishment if you manage to break through them. I have one in particular that I'm thinking I might never break through.

I have a ?? For everyone into the genealogy What company should I use to get the test done. I don’t know really that much about my family. We’re a small lot. Most are gone. Supposedly a lot in Portugal

I have one grand father that I found out was adopted so I thought he was English last name Yarnell. But now looking at pictures I’m thinking Nope  

It’s defiantly overwhelming picking a company to do the test with. 

I use to collect hand blown glass vases. But miniatures has changed that.

Jeannie I understand about the tomatoe seeds my husband is obsessed with pepper seeds and grows peppers from all over the world. Sometime I have to leave the house when he’s making his dried mix or if he frys them. I literally start choking. 

Nell, the hubs & I used 23andme and I have been meeting descendants of my father's nieces like crazy.  I also found out I'm Native American.  Our middle son is the official collector of dead people in our family.

Oh my goodness Nell, your husband sure takes his chili peppers seriously. The last really hot ones I grew were "Ghosts", far  too hot for me but I did them  for a friend. I also did a very hot one that a pal sent me from the UK but I found it variable so I gave up on saving seeds. I don't remember it's name even but it was supposed to be the hottest three or four years ago. I tend to do jalapenos most years  as I have a green jelly that is great with cold meats. I make it for Christmas givings at my church.. I call it Red Hot Jalapeno  Jelly but not hot at all when compared to even the ghost so goodness knows what your husband grows. I am not too familiar with what is top of the list these days. As I am getting on I am gradually giving away most of my seeds stash as there is no way I could ever use them. It sure was fun sharing and collecting them though, almost addictive, ( actually very addictive if I am honest) I used to like the round robin parcels that went all over the world and back again. I don't think I have any chili pepper seeds anymore but I will look, they would be at least three or four years old though.If I have anything worth saving I will let you know.. That is Ok for tomatoes of course. but not so certain about peppers. I do have some very interesting tomato seeds though. I remember when the first true blue ones were out, I was thrilled to get them before they were released, smuggled out of a lab would you believe but now they are everywhere. Certainly interesting to grow but the flavor was a real thumbs down . I also remember the Pepperdew  sweet pepper  everyone was after and I got it although supposedly illegal and I still have seeds for that one. It is amazing what lengths we seed savers go to . I never had a moments guilt about my smuggling days LOL. I have a stash of perennial veggie seeds with some pretty rare ones in it still, some things one doesn't let go of too easily I guess.  .Give your husband my best wishes, it is always good to hear of a dedicated seed collector especially a brave one and he needs to brave to process some of those peppers.

I collect Miniature Christmas items to put in a Christmas village that I am building. I have been doing so for the past two years, even though I make most of the items myself, I still need things that I cannot make. I get donated all sorts from around the Uk. The latest was tiles for the roofs, I have to cut them all to shape before using them as they came from a slate mountain.

Jeannine, I think habaneros are still considered the hottest peppers.  We're jalapeno fans in our house.  One of my husband's uncles grew the itty "ornamental" peppers (that come in all the pretty colors) to spice up his peach pickles; while I could eat my weight in pickled peaches at one time, one bite of one of his cured me.

As I mentioned before.   Fireking, in particular  the green, Jadite.  I finally opened the purse and bought a gorgeous china cabinet to display most of the Jadite in.  I posted a picture on pinterest.   There is other sets like the Game Birds, pale blue, and demi-tasse sets.

On 7/21/2018, 12:41:29, havanaholly said:

Nell, the hubs & I used 23andme and I have been meeting descendants of my father's nieces like crazy.  I also found out I'm Native American.  Our middle son is the official collector of dead people in our family.

Thanks I think I'll give them a try . 

5 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Ancestry.com also has a genetic info function.

It's AncestryDNA.com I did mine there. Have matched with a few cousins previously unknown and have exchanged information.

You never know what will turn up. We hit a brick wall trying to follow Lloyd's paternal line. It was a matter of confusion with numerous people with similar names. We thought if we had his DNA checked, we could find out from what part of Africa his family originated and follow the line from Africa to the US. What we found out was that there were NO African ancestors in his paternal line. His roots were in Great Britain. Obviously his African ancestry was from his mother's side. It did help us determine that he is a descendant of a white lieutenant governor of Mississippi whose white son had an affair with an African-Creole woman that produced Lloyd's grandfather, a mulatto. So ... you never know. :D 

That's fascinating,and thanks for the correction.  The genealogist son is active on ancestry.com.  When my hubs got his DNA checked we found sub-Saharan African there, so maybe he got Lloyd's share.

22 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

Oh my goodness Nell, your husband sure takes his chili peppers seriously. The last really hot ones I grew were "Ghosts", far  too hot for me but I did them  for a friend. I also did a very hot one that a pal sent me from the UK but I found it variable so I gave up on saving seeds. I don't remember it's name even but it was supposed to be the hottest three or four years ago. I tend to do jalapenos most years  as I have a green jelly that is great with cold meats. I make it for Christmas givings at my church.. I call it Red Hot Jalapeno  Jelly but not hot at all when compared to even the ghost so goodness knows what your husband grows. I am not too familiar with what is top of the list these days. As I am getting on I am gradually giving away most of my seeds stash as there is no way I could ever use them. It sure was fun sharing and collecting them though, almost addictive, ( actually very addictive if I am honest) I used to like the round robin parcels that went all over the world and back again. I don't think I have any chili pepper seeds anymore but I will look, they would be at least three or four years old though.If I have anything worth saving I will let you know.. That is Ok for tomatoes of course. but not so certain about peppers. I do have some very interesting tomato seeds though. I remember when the first true blue ones were out, I was thrilled to get them before they were released, smuggled out of a lab would you believe but now they are everywhere. Certainly interesting to grow but the flavor was a real thumbs down . I also remember the Pepperdew  sweet pepper  everyone was after and I got it although supposedly illegal and I still have seeds for that one. It is amazing what lengths we seed savers go to . I never had a moments guilt about my smuggling days LOL. I have a stash of perennial veggie seeds with some pretty rare ones in it still, some things one doesn't let go of too easily I guess.  .Give your husband my best wishes, it is always good to hear of a dedicated seed collector especially a brave one and he needs to brave to process some of those peppers.

I love a good Pepper Jelly especially with cream cheese and crackers . How lucky you were to grow some of those unique items before the public could get them. My Hubby does grow tomatoes too. He also found a lot of old seeds somehow. His favorite tomatoes are actually the small ones. I looked up the hottest pepper list and the Ghost Pepper is still on it  . Currently the Caralina Reeper is number 1. With all the cross breeding it seems the natural peppers have moved down the list.

My husband received a greenhouse this year and it's been fun seeing him enjoy it and hate it . He's so not use to how hot it can get .

Nell, I don't know your location but  the greenhouse may come in handy through the winter. I can keep a salad patch, carrots and some perennial veggies and kale leaves  growing right through, tomatoes I can usually keep till the start of November if I put the effort in, the pepper plants sometimes will winter over and pick up in the Spring. My greenhouse is very hot right now, my cucumbers are really struggling. I have a bet with myself every year that I will eat a home grown salad  with tomatoes from the greenhouse on Christmas day and most years I manage , but it is usually just maybe three of four tiny tomatoes that make it once it gets cold.it I like my greenhouse for tomatoes because it avoids the dreaded blight which is so prevalent in m y area .My fave tomato is a hybrid sadly one of the few I ever grow , it is Sungold. I have a few dehybridised versions of it but they are not as sweet..I used to grow miniature peppers and tomatoes under lights but this  year I sold my 3 tier light fixture so I shall try on the window sill with some micro toms/micro peppers this year .  My choices this year are pathetic as I was ill when I would usually start seeding so I missed the chance for tomatoes and bought plants. I have some of the Bumble Bee ones which are pretty but not very tasty but some of my Sungolds from last year self seeded so it will be interesting to see what they produce .

Holly Brunetta is a commercial hybrid,  sold wholesale for growers  a follow  on from the Kumato.  I grow some  very similar fruit .. in fact I have several with the mahogany brown color that are.tasty and are not hybrids.. These I can save seeds from. If I saved seeds from a commercial Brunetta the would  not come true.

Re the peppers, the Habenero is quite low on the scale compared to the ghost and nre top ones.. It is more than hot enough for me though and I sometimes grow them.

As a kid I collected Hot wheels/Matchbox cars.  Still have them stored somewhere...probably close to 600.  Unfortunately I played with them a lot, so the value is not what they could be now.  Looking back I’d rather have the memories than the cash, I loved my little cars they went everywhere with me.  

I have a HUGE Christmas Village that I've been collecting and growing for about 20yrs now. Also a mini-obsession, it's no wonder I got into dollhouse mini's. Too bad it's a different scale LOL.

I start putting it up at Thanksgiving and leave it until February - to get the most out of it because it takes me 2 days to set it up. I keep all the buildings and accessories in their original boxes, that's what takes so long. Plus, I set it up different every year. That's part of the fun :-)

Kids love it, but just like the dollhouses...DON'T EVEN THINK OF TOUCHING IT!!! Haha