How to change blades on the Easy Cutter?

forjenn

I have an Easy Cutter from Midwest products--the original, not the newer "ultimate" kind. I need to change the blade (way past time), but I'm having a heck of a time taking the blade out of the cutter. The instructions say to:

1. Unlock the blades (got it; easy)

2. Unscrew the blade bolt (did it)

3. Separate the handles (did it, am good so far)

4. Remove the pin and slide out the blade. ???? What pin? There's a square doohicky that looks like it's holding the blade on, but I can't move it in, out, up, down, or sideways. Nor can I remove it. And the blade will. not. come. out.

What am I doing wrong? My instructions have no illustrations, and searching the internet hasn't turned up anything, unless I'm missing something.

Thank you!

I have an Easy Cutter from Midwest products--the original, not the newer "ultimate" kind. I need to change the blade (way past time), but I'm having a heck of a time taking the blade out of the cutter. The instructions say to:

4. Remove the pin and slide out the blade. ???? What pin? There's a square doohicky that looks like it's holding the blade on, but I can't move it in, out, up, down, or sideways. Nor can I remove it. And the blade will. not. come. out.

What am I doing wrong? My instructions have no illustrations, and searching the internet hasn't turned up anything, unless I'm missing something.

Thank you!

I searched the Forum's archives and found this: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13282&hl=easy+cutter

Jenn, thanks for your original post, and Holly, thanks for posting the link to the answer. I printed a copy of the instructions when the illustration was posted originally. I've just printed another to keep in New Orleans. Now, to see if the replacement blades happen to be in one of the several tool boxes that travel between Missouri and Louisiana.

Jenn, thanks for your original post, and Holly, thanks for posting the link to the answer. I printed a copy of the instructions when the illustration was posted originally. I've just printed another to keep in New Orleans. Now, to see if the replacement blades happen to be in one of the several tool boxes that travel between Missouri and Louisiana.

My spare is buried amongst the stuff in the garage. Unpacking when we get the workshop is going to be like Christmas!

Thank you! The pictures are helpful--I can see what's what. However, the pin (the little washer that goes through the hole and holds the blade in place), stuck like it was welded in by Vulcan. It took both my husband and me to get that puppy out (entailing a hammer and another piece of metal). We finally extracted it and got the new blade in--with much wrestling to get the pin back in; however, something must have bent in the process, because now the blade is not straight. After the 1 hour session involving much sweat and swearing, I don't think we'll be taking it apart to fix it again. Fortunately, these tools are not hideously expensive. And I need a new one, right?

Many thanks to those who answered.

I sent Midwest an email about getting replacement blades (I have the ultimate easy cutter) as the website shows no replacement blades available. There answer to my email was

A replacement blade is no longer available. We recommend sharpening the original blade with any sharpening stone.

Thank you

They must not have liked my email as I was enquiring about replacement blades.

I originally posted this to the wrong thread and didn't know how to delete it. Maybe a moderator can. I wanted it on this thread.

Where is the best place to buy this tool? I need it! I found a couple on ebay, but spendy. The one at Sears do you know exactly what it is called? if I do a search on cutter, 500 items come up LOL thanks

Cheryl

• 3 years later...

A woman asked me to change her Easy Cutter blade. I thought this would be easy but I cant get the old blade to release. The link above which holds the secret is no longer working. Does anyone know the secret? Everything is dismantled so I got that far. 

On November 16, 2012 at 8:48:34 PM, forjenn said:

Thank you!

Since this is the only instruction on Google on how to remove the blade I thought I would add to it. For step 4 above, there is a metal collar inserted into the screw hole which prevents the blade from shifting. That collar has to be removed. I inserted a larger philipshead screwdriver  onto the hole and tapped the collar out with a hammer. Once removed the blade can be carefully pulled free.  

Note: the replacement blade was defective through a machining error. All it took was this 2mm error to prevent the collar from sliding back into the hole.  I had no choice but to sharpen  the old blade very well and reinsert it.  

I bought Miro Mark's Miter Master and replacement blade after using many naughty *magic* words on my SF555.  I am still using the same original, in-resharpened blade in it, and it's still making lovely clean cuts after more than a quarter century.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I bought Miro Mark's Miter Master and replacement blade after using many naughty *magic* words on my SF555.  I am still using the same original, in-resharpened blade in it, and it's still making lovely clean cuts after more than a quarter century.

I'm pretty sure the one I worked on was exactly the same as yours. Problem was I think the woman who owns it cut wires with it. The blade was pretty dinged up.