How to easily remove hot glue

Guest Happy Heart

Guest Happy Heart

www youtube dot com / watch?v=dNNqSXgj6DE

I haven't tried it yet, but I will. Only concern I'd have is the effects of rubbing alcohol on wood. As I clean dozens of pieces of a rescued Dura Craft mansion, I'm thinking the effects might be worth it if it makes this job easier. :frusty:

(Where's the 'tearing out hair' emoticon? :lol:)

Edited by Happy Heart
  • Like 1

Guest Happy Heart

www youtube dot com / watch?v=dNNqSXgj6DE

I haven't tried it yet, but I will. Only concern I'd have is the effects of rubbing alcohol on wood. As I clean dozens of pieces of a rescued Dura Craft mansion, I'm thinking the effects might be worth it if it makes this job easier. :frusty:

(Where's the 'tearing out hair' emoticon? :lol:)

UPDATE:

Nuking on high for ONE minute makes the pieces EASY to seperate but be careful of the reheated hot glue, ouch!

Also, not sure if the longer pieces warped because of the nuking or because they are only painted on one side, probably the latter. Further experimentation is required but it was TONS easier.

So far I've had good luck ungluing hot glued items just by heating the glued area with a hair dryer.

When the glue begins to soften I'll tug gently, then heat the area some more till it comes apart.

I usually wind up peeling & pulling off any residual glue off with my fingernails.

• Like 1

Guest Happy Heart

A much shorter nuke time works like a charm without having to hold a noisy hair dryer. Just glad to be rid of the cursed hot glue. Next for the Dura Craft mansion rescue, the God-awful eggplant paint will be covered with a nice calming oatmeal with white and pale yellow trims.