Need advise on these listings please

loriham52

So, which, if any would you buy and are the prices reasonable in your opinion? I've been in contact with 3 out of the 4 and the third link below states in her listing that she is willing to negotiate, however in contacting her, she states that she is not. At this point, I have only been in contact with the sellers to inquire if they are still available, which they are. What other questions should I ask? Your help is much appreciated. Lori

http://columbia.craigslist.org/tag/3386311815.html

http://columbia.craigslist.org/tag/3362024761.html

http://columbia.craigslist.org/tag/3335807953.html

http://columbia.craigslist.org/tag/3314088345.html

The first one looks like a Dura-Craft, which is no longer in business. If it's not in any disrepair that is an excellent price. If you have dollhouse building experience and everything is truly there as presented, the RGT house is also a decent buy. If that third one is the one the seller won't negotiate, when her ad states she will, let it go (IMO). There's a lot of damaged trim on that last one, for what they're asking.

Lori,

Trust me when I tell you it is always negotiable. It really depends on how much work you want to do. Like Holly said, the first one looks to be in pretty good shape. The last one needs windows, the non-negotiable one needs some work and finishing, the RGT seems to be in the best shape, plus it comes with the lights and everything. If it is truly all there, it might not be bad to finish.

I would verify with any of them if they are complete. Also, when it comes to negotiating price, take a look at how long it has been listed. Sometimes if I am interested in one, I will bookmark it and check back a few times. Some people will renew their listings to keep it near the top of searches while others do not. The one in Lexington has been up for nearly four weeks, so I don't know why she said no negotiating. If you want that one, throw her a $50 offer. If she doesn't budge, move on. Maybe on the RGT you ask if she will take $100 and then settle in the middle somewhere.

It is nice to know that you have a few to choose from!

The first one is dura craft, Linfield.

The second one.....I'm not sure of the name.

The third I don't know either, but it needs painted and once they are built they are hard to paint.

The last one is the alexandria. Also by dura craft. It has a total of 13 rooms I believe.

Look them up on google.

I would take Hollis advice. They are all beautiful, but dura craft is gone, out of buisness so there is no replacing the broken pieces.

Let us know what you decided they are all great.

• Like 1

Find out if any pieces are missing or broken other than what is stated in ad. Also ask if they are negotiable.

We have tons of ideas to rehab houses, like You can make windows from food packaging.

The trim would be the hardest to repair on the houses you cannot get the original materials for, explain that to the sellers of the dura craft houses.

I had a bad feeling that last one was the Dura-Craft Alexandria, which was one of the last round of kits they made, out of MDF, so it'll weigh a LOT! in addition to having to re;pace ALL the trim so it'll match.

Believe me the Alexandria weighs a lot, I have it still in kit form. I must have someone help me move the kit, it really is very heavy. It is also all white, and MDF, I don't like MDF, but that is My opinion, others may like working with it. You won't get any pieces to the Alexandria, I haven't seen any kits put on eBay... And I've seen very few completed houses.

The only way I purchase dura craft houses is if I can verify all pieces are there. With the company out of buisness you can't replace pieces with the original.

I also prefer wood. I once built a MDF roombox. I made it into an atrium and covered the inside with a "marble" paper to take care of the texture issues. I wanted niches for the family's funerary masks and a doorway to the rest of the villa, so that was also my first build with a false wall and I used foamcore.

Well, if I personally were shopping I'd buy the 3rd or 4th. For these reasons: what I like, and the fact that I'm cheap.

Honestly I think it depends on what YOU like. You won't regret anything for a house you love, but you will have regrets if you don't pick one you adore!

I'd also factor in how many houses you intend to ever do. If you want to do whole hog on detail and only do one or two houses in your life bigger house would offer more space for details.

I paid $50 for my used assembled but unfinished Beacon Hill, and I adore it. Sometimes the work of fixing the past owners mistakes is tedious, even annoying when it was due to stupidity, but all in all I LOVE working on everything I do for it. I don't think I'd feel that way if it wasn't my dream house. There are some pieces of trim and the like that I while have to buy replacements, but those are also upgrades. And since I love the house and got a good deal I don't mind doing it.

Slightly off topic, does anyone have a picture of the inside of the dura-craft linfield!?!? (house number 1) I suspect that is the house I had as a kid and sold! I've been trying to find out what it was that I had.