Cardboard/ cereal boxes/ cardstock help needed to clap board siding

dwcole7

Needing some help again. As I am working on this Old Farmhouse. I have to keep expenses down, I was going to try using card board/ cereal boxes for the clap board siding. I did a test one, but I have some of them lifting after I applied the paint. How do those that have been using these do it? Here is my sample, I applied the glue directly to the foam core and then applied the cardboard. But, as you can tell the edges that overlap are lifting up. Any ideas how to make this work so it looks like wood without the bumps. :) Thank you!!!

20121024_170822_zps9d95bbfe.jpg

Thank you ladies. No water added to the paint. There is a shine because I used the crackle medium on top of the black after it was dry. And the picture shows it all dry. How does anyone apply the glue to the "boards" ?

With the uber thin wood siding strips from GL I run two beads of gluealong the wall I'm going to lay the strips on and do that with every row, with the lower bead along the top of the siding strip in the preceding row. I lay a sheet of waxed paper on top and weight it with a stack of heavy books overnight; the thin wood also forms ripples with the fresh, wet glue, that go away as the gllue dries. Once the glue has dried I paint the siding, and some of it ripples again; and flattens out again when it's dry. If you look realy closely at real old wood clapboard siding you will see there is slight rippling along some of the boards.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this would help or not but what about painting the strips first, letting them dry then glueing them down. Or paint both sides and let them dry then glue them down. I think I read that somewhere but not sure.... Let us know what happens. I was going to do cereal box siding on one of the rehabs.

Kellee