Help, I'm confused!

thesuttons

So I've always wanted to build a dollhouse. I'm now starting and came on here for some help. First off, I was told to build my house first before wiring. Ok, understood.

But the problem is that from what I read in a lot of the forums, you should wallpaper before putting your house completely together. Don't I have to wire behind the wallpaper?

How is the wiring run through the house? I'm so confused with this wiring thing!

The house came in today and when I opened the box, I almost fell over. I knew it would be a lot of work, but it looks overwhelming. I'm sure I will deal ok, but I want to make sure I know exactly what to do before I start putting it together.

Any other suggestions are very much appreciated. I'm really excited to build this, but don't want to make a mess and discourage myself from doing another house.

P.S. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm building the Laurel dollhouse. I hope it's small enough for my first project.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I think that if you are going to wire, then you have to put the house together, then run wiring, then wallpaper, etc.

Opening that kit can be overwhelming, I know, but just read the instructions carefully (and then read them again!!) It helps to dry fit the pieces (put house together with tape) so you understand how the pieces fit together. The main thing is to take your time and work carefully without rushing.

The kits that you buy with the transformers and wiring tape usually have an instruction booklet that explains how to plan the wiring and the lights. There are also good tutorials on this site with pictures of how to do the actual wiring installation. Another option is using the new battery lights that don't require any wiring at all.

You'll have a lot of fun. Good luck.

• Like 1

Hi Amy....

First... don't fall over (grin) it seems overwhelming at first, but it really isn't as bad as it seems... and the folks on this board are wonderful... I truly would never have completed my first build without their help.

You will get lots of different suggestions, and all of them are right... you will have to find what works best for you. I can tell you... I MOSTLY use tape wire for electricity and yes, it goes under the paper, and after the house has been MOSTLY assembled..... I usually paper after the house it built. I am currently addicted to 1/2 scale houses and there are places that have to be papered first, just because you can't get to them later. Like Joy mentioned above, assemble the house using tape so you will be able to make sure everything will fit, and for an idea of possible problem spots with finishing.

Ask lots of questions... like I said the folks here are wonderful and I have always got help when I needed it....

Good luck with your build :)

• Like 1

Never hesitate to ask questions.Amy, when you find the time (between reading the instructions sheets and putting the wood sheets into numerical order) go over to the Newcomers' Forum and introduce yourself. It may help to use the "search" feature on the keywords "getting started". You will want to do the dry fit first in order to see where you'll want to run your wiring and which areas of the build you'll need to decorate first, because once it's together you won't be able to fit your hands in to do it after (like stairwells). If it's any help, the Laurel I rehabbed was falling apart (it was built with hot glue; the instructions might say to use hot glue, but DON'T!) and I was halfway through the rebuild before I identified which house it was, since I had no instructions for it. I did add an extra wall (you can see what I did to it in my "Laurel Rehab" album, just hover your cursor over my username and a link icon to my gallery will appear). and had to build the porch from scratch....

• Like 1

I agree it can seem confusing at first. However, you will find that as you master one thing you'll keep trying new things and still be confused about the new thing and so on and so forth. It's the sheer challenge and fun of the hobby (actually addiction is the correct term).

There are a ton of uber talented people on this forum that can answer any question you can come up with.

And, as Havanaholly always reminds us, there is no such thing as a dumb question !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As to the lighting, there are several tutorials on the forum. I always have trouble finding things on here.

So here is one that I saved. Light a Dollhouse using a Roundwire Method

I know there is another one by Darrell of darrell and melissa but I can't find it right now. Maybe someone else has it saved as a link and could post it.

Good luck and don't be a stranger here at GL forum. It's like home away from home.

• Like 1

The Laurel is so beautiful. I really want this one in half scale!

Don't worry, you'll be fine. Like the others said, read and re-read the instructions. I read the instructions several times to begin, and then go back to them as the build progresses.

Take your time and enjoy the process. Check out other Laurel builds one this website, you can search on "Laurel" and find lots of information and photos.

And ask all the questions you have. Someone here will have the answer or an idea to help you!

• Like 1

Hope I'm not "coming to the party" too late on this one, but I have pics of a completed Laurel in my gallery. Step by step of how it went together and the problems and solutions that came with it. As Debora and Joy said READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY, however, as with anything use your own common sense. The Laurel has a tricky staircase and you may find (as I did) that you don't want to put it in as instructed. The top of the stairs "slide" into a notch, with the tabs raised above the floor line. A definite no-no for decorating purposes. I found that I had to cut off the tabs and glue the top of the staircase to the ceiling opening to create the realistic staircase look.

Also, as Holly said NO HOT GLUE, These manufacturers may make the houses but sometimes I think that they don't beta test their products to see if their instructions are even do-able - or how long they'll last if things like hot glue are used. Lastly, you've certainly come to the right place for help with your house. When I did my first house I knew abolutely nothing - had no clue and no tools. The folks on this forum answered all my questions, gave me great advice, problem solved with me and became the best source of dollhouse information anyone could ever need. I'm on house number 6 now and I'm building with the best of them (even if I do say so myself :blush: ) Don't let the sight of the contents of that box frighten you - it's easier than it looks, and the Laurel is an excellent house for a first timer. You'll get to hone your building skill without the complications of strange angles, dormers etc. of a larger house. Good luck to you and welcome to the world of Mini's!

Considering I rebuilt the Laurel without instructions (the shell was together again before I had figured out which house it was!), so you know it;s a straightforward build! The older kits were designed and manufactured back in the 1060s and '70s when hot glue was a different formulation that didn't remelt at the sight of a sunbeam, unlike the modern crafting glue sticks. Wood glue is just a much better choice.