Table with cabriole legs - handmade

Illyria

Hi everyone!

I'm fairy new here. Well, actually I've been lurking for some time, but now I've decided to share this table I've made yesterday. It's entirely made by me, including the legs. You can see more pictures on my blog:

http://illyriasminiatures.blogspot.com/

I was a bit afraid to tackle cabriole legs, but now that I finished this table I'm looking forward to making more furniture in this style.

So do you think I did a passable job on my first try in this style? Any suggestions on future projects like this?

Regards,

Illyira

post-15926-0-33992700-1349633609_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hi everyone!

I'm fairy new here. Well, actually I've been lurking for some time, but now I've decided to share this table I've made yesterday. It's entirely made by me, including the legs. You can see more pictures on my blog:

http://illyriasminia...s.blogspot.com/

I was a bit afraid to tackle cabriole legs, but now that I finished this table I'm looking forward to making more furniture in this style.

So do you think I did a passable job on my first try in this style? Any suggestions on future projects like this?

Regards,

Illyira

What a nice way to come out of lurkdom! You want to introduce yourself to all of us over at the Newcomers' Forum. Noce cabriole legs! I did a pair for a 1:24 sideboard. Short ones look nice on upholstered furniture, too. Ladies' desks, dining tables; I put together some HoM kitsfor dining chairs that had cabriole legs.

Congratulations on a job well done, Illyira -- and :welcome: to the forum! It's hard to make odd-shaped items look identical. You really must have wood working genes in your DNA helix! :thumb:

You mentioned thick leather in your blog. Could you make a single fold glued shut and make faux paper to make books? Maybe bevel the edges so it appears the book's covers are thin?

Thank you everyone for your nice comments!

Havanaholly: I already started a topic in the newbie section, to introduce myself, although that was more than a month ago (maybe two?). I didn't really have anything meaningful to post until now, but I'm so proud of my newest creation that I just had to share :)

Creamcheese: The only tools I used are a coping saw and sandpaper.... lots of sanding to be done!

KathieB: Thanks for the advice on the books. I'll have to try that, since the leather is all kinds of interesting colors, and perfect for my witchy books.

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments.

I wanted to show you another table, dining table size and how the tables turned out after three coats of stain. At first I intended to leave only one coat, but I decided to try it with two and liked the results so much I ended up with three coats of stain. I think it gives them a more finished look.

2012-10-12+13.52.14.jpg

2012-10-12+13.50.51.jpg

They look much better now.

Regards,

Illyria

http://illyriasminiatures.blogspot.com/