kitchen window - oops

fov

In the Queen Anne rowhouse, I finally have a kitchen space that will accommodate SDK Miniatures' modern kitchen (which I've had my eye on for a long time!) I put on the siding without considering that the back of the cabinets will be visible through the bottom of the window. If I'd thought it through ahead of time I would have turned it into a half-height window and sided over the bottom of the hole.

Not sure if I can remove/replace the siding at this point without making a big mess. Does anyone have any ideas about how to run cabinets past a window without the backs of the cabinets showing through the window and looking dumb? All I can think of is to block off the bottom part of the window somehow (stained glass?) but I think that would look weird. Dollhouses always seem to have normal sized windows in kitchens, so I'm sure this issue has come up before...

Remodels in older homes often have this problem. I have seen it handled with the end result as if it were a well behind a finished counter wall, flower box and plants inserted, a counter strip inserted as a desk between cabinets, shutters with opaque glass inserted instead of the usual louvers.

It might not be as big a problem as I thought. I won't know for sure until the kit comes but the counter might end up right at the bottom of the window. We'll see...

The kitchen kit arrived today. Not only will the cabinets *just* fit under the window, but the sink is centered too! Almost like it was made for the room. It's a good thing, since the cabinets re not modular... it would have been difficult to bash.

This kit is pricey but it seems very complete, with photos in the instructions and everything. I'll post pics once I get started on it.

I posted a couple of pictures on my blog that show how nicely the cabinets will fit under the window. I still can't get over that the sink is centered under the window. This is going to be the perfect kitchen for this house!

Haha - yeah, the model has a lot of patterns going on!

I think the room itself will have white walls, but I might use a bold Victorian wallpaper in the alcove on the other side of the room (maybe something like this). In that case I could use the same wallpaper on the cabinet doors. But I think I'm leaning toward using something less busy, maybe even a solid color, that complements the wallpaper.

• 3 weeks later...