Swap- how to's and info?

Jane S

Hey folks,

Sooo.. I see people mentioning swapping on here from time to time, could a newb get some info on this??

Is it primarily done person to person? Or do you folks list items and see what "active members" want to trade?

Can you post several items and see who wants to trade for _______________.

Ettiquett? Don't do's? < other than the obvious.

Mailing / drving and trading? What is normally done?

Thanks for your time

Jane

...guess pm is stlll down, :(

Jane, they like this to be done person to person privately through pm.. Which obviously is not working right now...but someone correct me if I'm wrong.... You could make an album in the gallery for items you are interesting in trading or selling. Since pm is down maybe you could set up an email address just for this purpose...they don't recommend you use your regular email.

Personally I wouldn't arrange trade with anyone that I wasn't familiar with as an active member and ur familiar with their work, but that's just me. I've had several awesome trading experiences with members and it's so fun.

I have made one kit swap through the forum and it went fine. Granted, the PM system worked back then. I like the gallery idea and I have a Yahoo email address listed in my profile for contact info. Some here do not like to do that, and that is fine if they are not comfortable. I don't have an issue with it and have listed it in forum topics.

I agree with Karin in making sure you are comfortable with your trading partner and with whatever deal you make.

Are you looking for any kits?? :bigwink: lol

We have a sense of security here...the moderators do a lot to make us feel that way, but if you ever glance down at the " list of members who have visited today" sometimes there are screen names that are obviously computer generated or names that are really rude...I mean this is the Internet...it's like being in the deep dark woods in the evening...this is a site open to the public at large.

We also used to arrange swaps through the Community Trading Post forum, and the rules and guidelines for that are posted at the top; but that was also most effective when we had a functioning PM system. I have engaged in a number of swaps (having been on here a while) and I have not been disappointed.

I thank you all for the info, I would only trade with the active members, and I would do a bit of snooping first ;)

I have been asked many times about swapping and selling so I though I would get a idea about the processes for them as my collection is getting too big for my bookshelf.

I hope the PM thing gets fixed, untill then I will keep stockpiling for Etsy and trade.

Are you looking for any kits?? :bigwink: lol

And yes as soon as my husband finishes my workspace...I will want a kit :mail:

Thanks again folks

Just popping in to say we do not supposed to use the gallery for trading, selling or swapping items. That's straight from Dean. We have a few people doing this. Some albums have been pulled and others may ave slipped from our sight.

Trades and sells are supposed to only go in the Trade Section. The PM system should be up soon I talked to Dean last week about it ;) we do NOT want to open up discussions about swaps on the forum (because of past problems and this is also from Dean)

Ok, im done :) carry on

The PM system should be up soon I talked to Dean last week about it ;)

Tracy...once the PM system is fixed I think a lot of these small problems will go away. This is just my opinion, but I think the gallery idea and some other forum listings for trade that have been "creative" are because folks are trying to come up with some way to conduct business and conversations the way they had been conducted in the past. I am not confusing this with people using the forum to promote their eBay or Etsy shops, just those trying to help each other out. I

I understand the " why " behind some people are doing it, the rules dont change because something is broke. The trade section was never something Dean agreed with. It was an addition some of us mods thought would be good but Because a lot of issues (behind the scenes) that come from those areas, we are very close o losing it. The forum is not supposed to be a selling place but a place to share our love of minis.

Seeing people post these things any and everywhere is wrong and the trade section plainly states that that is the only place to post it. Not galleries or the status update area and other forum areas. The rules did not change regarding selling and trades or swaps because the pm system broke. Peeps have been doing these things ever prior to that happening ( especially the gallery thing and status update section ). :(

• Like 1

I will do a big happy dance when the PM system is back! Swaps and other contacts really do need to go that route. Due to former employment by both DH & me we never post personal contact info publicly and we do not do social networks, either.

@ Tracy, I do not want to go outside what was accepted, that is why I asked about the process. I do not see the need to sell here on the forum.

I love minis and sharing what I have created and the process of that, just as I have learned a lot from these other fine crafters. It just seemed to make sense to trade a creation or two that I have been asked about, since that is part of the community experience. AGAIN..with caution, but I think you can see a lot of history here with "posts"

I do think having a dedicated area for swapping makes sense with the added benefit of a PM system, I myself would link to a album not fill the bandwidth here.. I think it is helpful with us "mini hoarders" and a few of us who may want to trade goods for goods..watching a budget. :D

@ April, oh its happening, but things are slow going when you have landscaping, garden expansion, "Big Girl" room redecoration..LOL My husband has taken a entire month off from work to help me finish my HONEY DO list, he has not stopped working yet for the last 12 days ... until then I will just keep crowding the dining room !!

Thank you all again for the information, all things noted.

Jane

Tracy...don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree with you. I get tired of seeing posts "check out new items in my eBay (or Etsy) store" or "special savings on my website." I have had a couple of conversations with admins here regarding these issues. In all honesty, when I signed up I was kind of surprised to see an area for selling, especially with Greenleaf being a retailer.

As for the PM's, I miss the function, but I also know there are ways around leaving contact info. I even left my email address in a couple of postings for people looking for information. There are ways to leave your email that bots don't pick up. I was chastised by a couple of forum members for doing it, but I did it to prove a point. I have received ZERO spam from my postings. After all, it is just an email address, and it isn't my main email. It's not like I am leaving my SSN or home address or phone number. I figure there are probably more important things to focus on before the PM gets fixed and that is totally understandable. I feel for Dean and the rest of you. My primary job is in sales, but I am lead administrator for two of our sites. I know that some things take priority.

Thanks for all you guys do!

• Like 1