GARFIELD STAIRCASE WALL QUESTION

SallyG

Now that the Fairfield is near completion, and I sold the Mary Kay, I am comtemplating buying the house I have always wanted..the Garfield!!! But I have a couple of questions..

In the Greenleaf Store, the Garfield has 6 pictures. In one picture there is the traditional view of the open staircase. In another picture, there is a wall in both the living and dining room side of the staircase. My question is, does the kit come with optional walls for a "closed" staircase..that is, opened on the entry hall side only? I recall this question being asked a long time ago, but can't find the answer now.

Actually, I think that is the only question I have. For me, building a dollhouse starts well before I even buy it, and I am already turning over plans in my head. Generally, once I begin the actual building I know exactly how it's going to look. That's why I'm inquiring about the staircase wall now...

• 5 months later...

When this topic came up before, I seem to remember that the version with walls was an earlier release of the kit. As someone mentioned, you can always bash new walls (which will hide the stairs; a shame, IMO), but I would either use foamcore or 1/8" plywood to make the walls.

Msminilover changed out the railings on hers so if there was a wall it could be eliminated, but i agree that I think it was an earlier release of the kit to have a solid wall, you might want to contact GL directly if this is a problem just to make sure you'd get what you wanted...

For what it's worth -

My Garfield is from the mid 1980's and it does NOT have the solid wall.

It is nearly impossible to get to the front hall area with it open that much so if you did want the solid wall,

be absolutely sure you have wired and decorated everything that will show through the windows before you close it off.

I have been making mine to have that front corner/porch come off so I can access those areas.

I've created an inner support frame and used the real outside walls to be the removeable walls.

The windows will be installed in the removeable walls.

It's not done yet.

Hello, Mary! Just wondering if you have any more photos of your Garfield? I'm just now working on mine and it really helps to see what others have done! Did you use the fireplaces? Thx!

I have a bunch of pictures in my gallery. It was fun to build and decorate!!

I will definitely check out your photos!!!!!!!!!! It's always exciting and interesting to see what others have created. I've been working on the Garfield staircase and plan to stain it. I've been doing some research on Victorian decor and it seems that during that period they used a lot of stained wood attributes which I'm attempting to mimic. After all the work I just can't imagine hiding the staircase behind a wall. As it is much of it will be barely visible from what I can tell.

Yes, that's exactly what I am planning to do on staining. Sand really well and then stain and seal and only then glue it together. I learned my lesson when I put together a GL piano kit and glued it first and then stained it. Stain does not like to cover very well if there is even a smidgeon of glue!!!!!! Sanding is quite time consuming especially in the tiny places that are hard to reach but it will be worth it. Can't rush things! Mary, thanks for answering my question on your fireplaces. I'm going to stain them too although I'm toying with the idea of possibly doing stonework but definitely will brick the back and hearth. And, I looked at your photos too and they are lovely.