Good dollhouse mgazine?

Nadja

Back when Dolls' House & Miniature Scene magazine was owned by the Fanceys they used to publish sets of dh plans about four times a year, which was why I began to subscribe to it. Every issue also had articles for making furniture, accessories, food, clothes, etc. Then the Warner Group bought the magazine and no more house plans.

Do you specifically want new ones? The old Nutshell News had plans for several half scale houses back in the 1990s. You could probably scale them up to 1:12.

The issues I'm thinking of are April 1990, May 1991, May 1992, May 1993, and May 1995. You can see pictures of the houses here. The magazines can probably be found on eBay.

1. Sorry - I have 4 different magazines that I regularly purchase and none of them provide plans for full dollhouses as far as I can see, although two of them Dolls House World and Doll house and Miniature Scenes often have projects with so much detail I think you could figure things out if you really wanted to. I did find instructions for building a basic dollhouse from scratch at the following site: http://www.letsbuildadollhouse.com/index.html . I was going to try it out but decided I should start this hobby with much smaller projects until I've built up some skill sets. Ergo my teacup miniatures. I'm also going to try book ends, room boxes and shadow boxes before attempting a whole house. Good luck with you project.

• 1 year later...

While my comments are coming a bit late for this particular thread, the instructions for creating frame-built dollhouses are available in Volumes 6:4, 7:1, 7:2, and 7:3 of The Scale Cabinetmaker, which you can now get as a downloadable pdf from dpllconline.com. That said, designing/building structures depends largely on the method you want to take. Most of our structures used a frame-built approach rather than a solid wall approach more typical of children's dollhouses. Frame construction has a couple of distinct advantages: most notably, it tends to be substantially cheaper (although more time consuming), and it is far easier to wire (no hidden channels required). Beyond the store building article cited above, there is also some excellent information on house design and construction with the Cotswold Cottage series (TSC 10:4, 11:1, and 11:2), in the New England Shed article (TSC 9:2) and, of course in the Whitman House series in the first volume of The Scale Cabinetmaker. If you are interested in the construction techniques, but not in the building the full structures, the method is described in (TSC 6:4 and 10:4). You should find enough information to build any structure. Most of the articles are designed to teach techniques that can be used with other projects, not just the project we included to illustrate the methods.

• Like 1