Buttercup Window Frame Question

mystic

Hi everyone,

This may sound like a silly question, but do the two sets of the Buttercup window frames (exterior/interior) go glued on the exterior of the house. I've looked at quite a few pictures in the gallery and it seems like the exterior frame is flush with the wall. And the only way that they seem to go right is gluing the interior frame behind the exterior and placing them on the exterior. It just seems odd that way because they are protruded and you can see from the sides both pieces.Thanks, Linda

I've realized that what I wrote above may not make sense.

On the outside of the house the outer frame goes on around the window and then there is a smaller frame for inside. You glue the glass pane to that and then stick it inside the upper part of the larger frame onto what is actually the wall of the house. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=73797 In this picture the lighter blue part of the inside frame on the bottom half of the window is actually the side of the house.

On the inside you do the same, put the outer frame around the window and then glue the glass to the little square part and glue that in the bottom half of the window onto what is actually the inner side of the house (that hopefully you haven't wall papered over).

Hopefully that helps some?

I have probably done the 3 main windows wrong. I glued both sections of the frames together (interior & exterior) and glued them on the exterior wall.

Mike, i downloaded the instructions before getting started on this one. but I didn't understand the windows part. Silly me I didn't think of asking the question before going forward. It's Ok though, maybe at some point I'll carefully take them apart & do it the right way.

If you downloaded the new instructions then you didn't use hot glue and haven't ruined your acetate window inserts. Some of the openings in the Buttercup don't have interior trim. I've made trim by tracing around the exterior trim onto heavy carstock and painting that and gluing it in place; basswood would work just as well.

Thanks Holly, I used skinny sticks as trim for the interior windows. The acetate windows are in tact and I only use tacky glue.

I glued the sash and casings along with the acetate windows. It's like putting together 2 sets of frames per window and then glued both sets on the exrerior.And it forms one framed set. But since it's doubled, they protude and not flush with the walls as I've seen in the gallery pictures including yours. I will upload a picture soon, see if I did it right before taking them apart.

Contrary Housewife's second post explains it. When you attach the upper sash withing the exterior frame, and the interior sash withing the interior frame, all the frames and sashes are flat on their respective walls with no overhang. I built four Buttercups (I think I have another unopened kit in the stash; I forget, and I won't be able to access the stash until we get a workshop built and can unpack the garage; I HATE moving!), and I did the same thing as you on the first one. Back then there was a website that was all bashed Buttercups (sort of like Wanna in El Paso's site, with all her bashed Michael's hutches), but it has been gone for a very long time now. It wal wonderful for showing me all the different things people did to work through some of the Buttercup's issues. My all-time favorite Buttercup bashes are by Rik Pierce: http://www.frogmorton.com/castles.htm

He used the Buttercup for a couple of bashes in his startup years. I am using it for my version Medival Tower Cottage of his East of the Moon (with his permission) for my fund raiser for my dog rescue group. It is a nice little basic structure for bashes.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished the Buttercup and have posted pictures. I made many mistakes along the way and the landscaping isn't as I'd hoped it would be. All the materials I used for the landscaping is from my yard and the border is from the trunk of my Bottlebrush tree. During the time I was working on this one, my mom was in the hospital & rehab for a fractured tailbone so I was in a hurry to finish before her discharge 2 days ago. Now she's living with us because she can't live by herself anymore. Maybe at a later time I'll re-do some stuff but for now, it's staying the way it is. :)