Crown Molding in Duracraft Houses

Hello everyone.... I am working on my Blackwood Hall again (a Duracraft Queen Anne) I am at the crown molding stage in a few rooms and I am dragging my feet. Normally I like this stage, but the Duracraft houses have that funny little "bump out" from the corner posts used in assembly. I know Brae padded her walls to help eliminate this problems... I am well past that stage as most walls are wallpapered already.... so I am looking for solutions to this problem... and thoughts or pictures of how you worked around this would be greatly appreciated.

The image shows one of the corners..... to the left of the clock

Thanks ya'll gallery_6564_5644_148708.jpg

Two thoughts - either butt the crown molding up against the corner post, which would actually make it much easier, since you wouldn't have to cut funny angles, but it kind of depends on how big your crown molding is, it wouldn't work if the profile of the molding is significantly bigger than the corner post. Or do the crown molding as your normally would but carve out a space at the back of the molding pieces so they will nestle on top of the corner post. (I'm not exactly sure how to describe that, does it make sense?)

I used Mike's idea for corner blocks in the kitchen where my connectors were still visible. I cut out a notch in the block and then cut the crown molding to butt against the blocks. :)

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=77100

More detailed pics on my blog: http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/kitchen-crown-molding

I used crown molding to help place the floors of the rooms above,and fit them between the corner posts. I didn't paper over those corners, through; I painted them to match the rest of the trim color inside.

Hello ya'll... thanks everyone for your input... I knew you would have some great ideas.... I had some corner blocks... and went with Brae's (Mike's) idea :) although I think I am going to keep on with Kathie's thought and add a finial hanging down.... thanks ya'll

• 1 month later...

Another solution is to put a piece of stripwood between the connectors to build out the wall to the thickness of the connector, then crown over the stripwood and the connector. The stripwood should be a little taller than the crown. I have used this solution with a circa 1975 Batrie New Orleans, then used a light crown molding that got extra thickness from the stripwood for a nice Victorian look. I do like the notch-out-the-back idea, particularly if the crown is already nice and heavy although it might get complicated in a bay section.