Hey, this is Carey from Jersey! :) and I'm a Noob.

Carey

Hey everyone,

I'm a college student/ aspiring actress who has been enamored with miniatures since I was old enough to toddle! My late godmother was an avid Greenleaf builder, and we bonded by sharing our miniatures. I would get so excited just to see pictures of the houses she would send, and even better was when she would send me oodles of furniture and dolls. :)

When I was a child, she sent me the Buttercup model in the mail to build with my family. My parents Just didn't have the time to sit and work with me on it, so I opened everything, tried to remove the pieces and set it all up as best as a child could on her own, and wound up ruining the set. I was so ashamed and heartbroken.

Now, more than a decade later, thank God a Hobby Lobby came to my area and I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the houses section. I was in love again. I set out for another Buttercup and here I am! This is my first house. Im excited, but a little overwhelmed as well.

Would anyone mind telling me what supplies are absolutely essential for you when building? Anything that helps that is not listed in the instructions? I know the basics- sandpaper block, wood latex sealant, a good knife... But that's about it. I'm trying to come up with a nice shopping list to get started. Thanks if you can help.

I am very excited to meet you all!

Carey

Welcome to the forum Carey!

My "can't do without" includes the above, plus wood glue, fine grain sandpaper, razors (or a razor knife--I just can't use one of those without cutting myself!), various clamps and blue tape.

Carey, in the Gallery, there is a section where we've had team builds. If you will look through those pictures, you can see the various clamps and their uses. It's kinda hard to describe, LOL!

First, welcome to the little family, Carey. There are several lists of basic tools and "nice-to-have" items, use the "search" feature and keywords "getting started". My basics include a box-cutter type utility knife and LOTS of sharp, new blades, a couple of rolls of masking tape, carpenter's wood glue, sandpaper and clamps.

Here are some clamps in use:

gallery_8_988_12948.jpg

Carey, honey, I have built a couple of kits and I still get the nervous willies whenever I crack the box. I have a set routine that works for me, and you will find yours. All mistakes are learning opportunities to grow your skills, and there are none that can't either be fixed or bashed into something even better.

• Like 1

Welcome to the neighborhood Carey :wave: I am so excited to have you as a neighbor. One hint is to always have SHARP hobby knife blades handy. A dull one can do more harm than good. It works good for cutting tabs that may be too big or for opening the slots to make them wider plus a host of other things. Looking forward to knowing you better :)

• 3 weeks later...

You sound like me! :) When I was a preteen or thereabouts, my grandmother gave me a completed dollhouse that was unfinished on the inside. My parents gave me several kits from House of Miniatures and I happily put them together, although I had no woodworking skills, no ability to stain or paint, and busy parents. I felt bad about not being able to bring my dollhouse to life, and felt very discouraged for years. I've always loved miniatures, and it took me almost 30 years to actually start building my own dollhouse!! Mine is the Orchid.

I would add painter's tape and spring clothespins (the spring-grip kind) for holding stuff. They have become my extra hands!

And an awl. I don't know what I would have done without that!!

House is almost done--just need to shingle and glue on gingerbread trim. Then I get the fun part of filling it!

Francie

post-15697-0-46066500-1344420646_thumb.j