Painting?

AmberD87

I just started priming my pieces for craft paint, and I still have the other side to do on the boards, but I thought of something that has been confusing me.

Is it better to paint the pieces before or after you take them out? Some of the pieces are really close together and I don't want to accidentally paint an item a wrong color.

Although it sounds like it would be a good idea to paint while still in the sheets, it really isn't. :( The wood expands and makes it hard to take out. Plus, you have to paint the edges, so you still have to handle them to paint them again afterwards.

Thanks :) I'll keep this in mind. I'll just be multicolored in the very end :D

Also, some edges may be a bit rough due to the nature of plywood, even after sanding. A bit of Spackle or wallboard mud rubbed in with the tip of your finger will smooth them & takes paint very nicely. This, of course, is for edges that will show ... like window trim, floors/ceilings, walls, etc.

You'll want to sand off the paint where you want glue to bond. I have learned to paint a lot of areas after I've assembled them, unless they're really tight; during the dry fit I note where my glue will go and mask off the edge accordingly.

Well, I won't be able to do anything for a while. Just some serious money issues and pet issues going on right now. Maybe i'll be able to work on it once school starts and everything settles down.