What does your "mini" work space look like? Would you like to share pictures?

Treedydi

Okay, here is my unorganized chaos. I have very little storage. I think that is my biggest problem. That and how to set things up with such short wall. The houses are too tall to set both tables against the wall and the dresser is too tall to go anywhere else. It holds my furniture and small kits.That leaves one table stuck out in the middle of the room ,taking up a lot of space. The room I am going to move everything into is a bit larger and has laminate flooring (Definitely a plus when working on 1/144) . It has the same slanted walls but I will be able to switch the "building" table to the tall divider wall. That will put both tables against the walls and open up the floor space. I won't be able to do any of this until the end of summer break and then it will be time for me to go back to work. That gives me time to think about what I need to get everything organized. I see that the plastic rolling drawer units are popular. And the clear storage boxes. Time to go shopping!!!

One hint that I learned the hard way....The largest plastic drawers hold a lot, but don't really "Organize" anything. You end up with a jumble in each of the drawers. I started out with two of those in the closet...six drawers. They just didn't work for me. After a couple of years, I replaced them with the ones that are there now.

The largest ones are about 10" by 12" on the front, easily hold things like all of my wicker supplies, electrical, house of miniatures kits, chrysenbon kits, and things like bed parts in seperate drawers. They hold just as much as the larger ones and I don't have to dig through all kinds of stuff to get to the things that i need.

I also use a lot of the plastic pencil boxes that Walmart and Kmart carry this time of year, dirt cheap. They are also stackable. I use them for specific supplies that need that amount of space. Mohair, doll parts, etc.

The last ones are really important. I use the largest Plano plastic fishing tackle boxes. They have movable dividers and are stackable...That is, they won't slip off of one another when you stack them in a book shelf. I use them for silk ribbon and trims, etc, wound on floss cards, jewelry findings, small parts such as landscaping materials. I can make the compartments the size that I need. I even have a travel kit in one, that I take on vacation. It is equiped with enough stuff that I can make just about any small accessory with what's inside.

The pencil boxes and Plano boxes fit nicely in any bookcase. I label them individually with a Dymo label maker.

None of these are fancy. They are really great for organizing mini things though. Ask me where any given item is, and I can put my hand on it almost instantly.

To include a picture for you,here is my craft room http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=79757 Do not let the cleanliness fool you. This was taken right after we moved in. :) It now looks, like and artist has been in there for 2 months.... there is an explosion of stuff going on.

Casey, the pencil boxes are a grand idea!!! I need to grab a bunch when I go pick up Cayce's school supplies this year. I have a bunch of teeny parts wondering around, and it gets hard to keep track of it all. The most recent organizational tool I got was a bunch of little slider boxes from dental office. They used to hold tooth impressions (ew) but are now perfect for holding dishes, food, plants, thingamabobs and such- all those tiny accessories that get lost in the huge. :)

I have noticed that many of you don't want to take pictures because it looks unorganized or messy. If I was a betting man (and I am), I would bet that even though your work space is in a "little disarray" you know exactly where everything is...lol. I keep buying partially built "rehabs" and that is where I am running into trouble. Kit boxes store much more easily than the constructed.

I am moving mine around this weekend while I stay out of the way of my daughter's birthday party and all of her college friends. I may snap some shots.

I have a few of the big plastic drawers, was thrilled when I first got them, then I realized they were useless... Gave them to the kids for whatever.... I just took them back and cut a cardboard box up to make dividers. !!!! So now I have one big drawar with about 8 compartments for my little stuff.... I am doing a complete Declutter, rearrange, organize the workshop... I now have a 15 & 12 year old that are getting into woodworking and want to use my big girl tools... So I need to make the area safe for them. And we need room to use those tools.

I also love rehabs so instead of flat kit boxes, I have several half built houses in my workshop....

As soon as I get it a little organized, rearranged I will share photos.

Kellee

• Like 1

Kellee, it sounds like you and I are in the same boat! lol I've been working on reorganizing and "de-cluttering" for going on four days now... Sad to say it's almost been like a grand adventure finding little things I'd forgotten I had! :rolleyes: As a kid I used to do a good bit of beading, and being a bit of a pack rat had saved the containers that I used to keep my beads in (still actually had beads in a couple), but have been able to sort out different items like plates, flower pots, and other minis. Also have what was a discount entertainment unit which I've been slowly but surely converting to hold a good bit of the mini items I keep indoors out of my shop. Finally have all of my scrapbook paper, mini wallpaper, and lots of ribbon conveniently sorted so I can go and find it with-in seconds. I also have one of those infamous rolling carts -- what I love about this is that if I need to, I can roll it right out to the shop and then back again. I've done the same with my two lower drawers which were deeper and used cardboard to separate them, the two uppers are shallower but I also separated these into various compartments as well.

Sadly though, I still have a lot of spillover elsewhere in my indoor area... So still working on conquering the chaos. Not so sure that will ever really happen though, and in all honesty I think I work slightly better when surrounded by all of my infamous mini "stuff" as my family calls it. lol :bigwink:

• 2 weeks later...

I have got everything unpacked and set out so I can find it. Loose stuff has been sorted into storage drawers and boxes. I had no idea that I had this much stuff. I think I could open my own mini-store.

My kitchen is my work space and most of my supplies are in rolling carts and shoe-box sized containers that stack. My problem is getting enough light so I use a clamp on one on the kitchen table plus the overhead. I never use the kitchen table to eat. When my daughter visits we just eat in the living room by the TV. I've tried working in the bedroom where I keep most of the houses but like being near the sink when working with wallpaper, glue and paint etc.

Trish- there is NO WAY I would put all of my stuff on shelves like that - I wouldn't want hubby to see just how much stuff I actually have! :D:giggle:

I do like the idea of using cardboard to divide the storage drawers....gonna have to do that in some of mine.

Whew, all of this talk about cleaning and organizing makes me really want to clean and organize. My problem is that I organize then can't find what I'm looking for. I also don't know how to store all of my furniture. I have them in plastic boxes labeled by room, but I still can't see what I have. My husband built me a great work space and storage, but I still work on the floor because all of my surface areas are filled.

I'm getting some great ideas from Roomzaar (Rate my Space) on HGTV.com. You can type in "craft room" or "organization" and see what others have done.

Guest Nathaniel

My work space looks like a mini town. Ive got 23 built dollhouses set up and most are lit. It takes up 2/3 of my full basement! I have some pics posted in my gallery...

• 2 weeks later...