Real Stone that might work

jas

My husband and I were at Home Depot today looking for tile for our real kitchen backsplash and I found some that might work for the outside of my basement addition. The tile is on a sheet and cut in real thin strips, too thin for what we were looking for in RL. They might be perfect for my dollhouse though.

Looking at my house with the basement addition on it I think the addition needs to have a different look than the main house which will be white with shutters and gray shingled roof. The tile is a light color and I could do the grout in a gray shade. It would basically give the bottom of the house a stone look.

Any thoughts? It will make the house a bit heavier but it will not be moved much after that anyway.

If it helps, the Laurel I rehabbed had these 1:1 ceramic tiles the original builder had stuck down to the first floor:

gallery_8_1103_18256.jpg

That were a bear to remove! but I had a brainstorm to reuse the ones that survived removal. I had to do some judicious bashing on the Laurel and add an extra wall, but when I finally had a room size I made a paper pattern for the floor and used it to make a template from card. Then I laid out the surviving tiles on the pattern until I had a design that fit, and then I transfered the tiles to the template, gluing them down as I went:

gallery_8_1103_154364.jpg

Then I glued the template to the bathroom floor ( used the same process for the kitchen floor, using the GL self-adhsive vinyl tiles):

gallery_8_1103_241829.jpg

Next I built the CC bathroom kit. It really is over the top, Once I got it sanded, spackled, sanded and painted I printed off a couple of the "Oyster Bay" Tiffany windows from Jim's printmini site to put in the windows I had to make, papered the walls with gold foil from a wime gift bag, and put it together:

gallery_8_1103_62353.jpg

Holly you are so creative!!! If I go with these tiles they are on a pre-made grid so all the guess work is done. I could go and just measure them for sure but I want to have one and hold it up to the house and see for sure what it looks like. If it clearly is not the right choice I can just return it. I will save my reciept for sure!! If they are a go I might tell my kids that for my b-day next month they can get me a sheet or two of them. It won't break the bank for them and I would be thrilled.

I can tell you right up front that you can use them. I have a sheet and a fraction of the glass tiles leftover from a majr bathroom remodel in our old house; but I'll take them off of the mesh because they're too far apart for scale AND if I lay them as I did the glazed ceramic ones I won't have to grout them.

I used the 1 inch travertine on the 12" mesh for the patio in my fairy garden. Including the mesh they are 3/8" thick. They are a bit heavy, so I don't know if that's a concern. I didn't grout them, I glued moss in between them. I did spray them with a waterproofing spray since it is outside. The spray made the tiles shiny and changed the color to richer hues. I got them at Home Depot, for about $9.00

Like you said, if they don't work for you, they can be returned, or saved for another mini project. I plan to use them again for a patio for the Tia Bella.

• Like 1