Getting close to finishing

Jeff Church

I'm not sure what is a normal time frame to finish your first house but I think I am way out side the normal. I started in January 2009 and it still is not quite done. Still to do are shingles, porch rails, back edging, and electrical. I am sorry I have not posted in all of that time. Its been a rough 3 years. Several deaths in the family but that's another story. For those of you who weren't around or don't remember my last post (2009 LOL) I am building this for my now 9 year old niece. It is a scratch built house.

So to pick up where I left off:

Here is the first floor going together

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24370911@N08/sets/72157622293557342/

• Like 1

Welcome home, Jeff! Thank you for the delightful pictures, although some of them said "No such photos found!" (like the doorknobs). The house is beautiful. My first dollhouse I built all by myself took 3 1/2 years and was NOT electrified.

Welcome home, Jeff! Thank you for the delightful pictures, although some of them said "No such photos found!" (like the doorknobs). The house is beautiful. My first dollhouse I built all by myself took 3 1/2 years and was NOT electrified.

I fixed doorknobs, I think. Try and see if it works and let me know what doesn't work. Thanks for the encouragement on the time it takes.

Jeff

Hey Jeff!! I remember this house. So glad you're back, and sharing more pictures. It's just beautiful. You're niece is going to love it. I bet she is enjoying watching it come to life.

My Beacon Hill is almost at 2 1/2 years, and there's still a lot to do on it. And there's not near as many neat details as on yours! So I think you're fine on time. :)

DH told me at the outset that I could never have too mini clamps; now whenever Harbor Freight puts them on sale I try to pick up a few bar clamps along the way! They sure helped rebuilding Mildred!

DH told me at the outset that I could never have too mini clamps; now whenever Harbor Freight puts them on sale I try to pick up a few bar clamps along the way! They sure helped rebuilding Mildred!

Thanks for the comments on the door knobs. They are faceted tourmaline 5mm rounds. Since tourmaline comes in a wide range of colors we matched the color to the room. The 5mm rounds are almost exactly the right size in scale for glass door knobs. I made the bases for them out of 4mm brass hex stock and turned them on the lathe to get the contour to match real door knobs from the time.

I picked up a milk crate size box of the little plastic spring clamps and a yard sale a few years ago for $1.00 must be a 100 of them. They come in real handy. I found building this that several large rare earth magnets work great as clamps. They can hold parts deep into a room trough the wall while the glue dries.

Jeff

• Like 1

Your niece must be thrilled! Lovely house. Really like the gutter work.

Thanks. I think they turned out great. They are made out of .375 thin walled hard drawn copper tubing. I cut it length wise on the mill to make two matched halves. The parts are silver soldered together then polished.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Front porch rails.

Got the bottom rails put on today.

100_7440

100_7441

100_7442

100_7443

Someone asked how these were made. I drew them on CAD and cut them out of popular 1/8 inch plywood using a laser cutter.

7684228068_76c9f38da2_b.jpg

7684228068_76c9f38da2_b.jpg

I have the top rail almost finished. Still trying to figure out exactly how I am attaching it. I am thinking of using dowels through the porch. The top posts will get brass turning tops.

100_7445

100_7444

100_7446

Jeff