Paperclay Shingles

kellyannmo

Sorry folks... I know this topic has been discussed a lot... but when I do a search I get lots of stuff that isn't quite right... or links to tutorials/pictorials that aren't there anymore...

I think I do ok with paperclay bricks and stones... but I am thinking of doing a paperclay shingle roof on the 1/2 scale Buttercup I just opened up. The shingles daunt me.... is there an easy way... I am looking for an aged look like the lovely roofs Karin and Tracey do..... I figured the 1/2 scale Buttercup is small enough to try for the first time.... any tips would be greatly appreciated...

Hugs ya'll

• Like 1

Yay you for trying new stuff! I love that our Greenleaf family does that; it inspires me. If you check out my Litchfield album and look at the front porch, you can see the brick pattern used in the paperclay. I made that with a mold I got from Malcolm's Miniatures in the UK. I got the mold because I am just not confident in myself for sculpting the gorgeous stuff I've drooled over seen in everyone's galleries :) The mold is super easy to use, and he also sells a lot of different ones. I have one for coursed stone in 1/2 scale as well as some others in 1/12. He recommends DAS air dry clay for use with his molds which I have not tried yet.

Hope this helps! What ever you come up with will be gorgeous I'm sure :flowers:

I got to see Tracy's paperclay shingles on her Glencroft up close and personal before she had painted them, and I would LOVE to try it. I think it's Rik Pierce's technique, though, so you might check his web site to see if he describes how he does it.

I used Rik's techni q ue onmy Tudor Watermill. I think there are some pictures in my albums at the site below. Sorry I am not ai home and I am using my iPad so can't pull up the pictures. It is very simple to do. Roll out the clay, cut a strip about 4 to 6 inches long and 1 in wide. This is laid down over a starter row and glued at the bottom edge of the roof. Slice little cuts ( like a comb) about every quarter inch. Additional rows are glued down just like regular shingles and cuts alternated over the lower rows. To add character slightly pull up an occasional edge. Once everything is dry paint in a base color and age or distress certain shingles randomly with a couple of other colors. Add high lights like a red or yellow sparingly. You can add a moss effect etc.

I have been watching my friend do her roof on her Rik piece. It looks so good and easy. I am trying my hand with the clay for the first time with block basment walls

I just added some images to my own Bashed Buttercup album in my gallery, and there are some shots of the Paperclay shingles and stonework I used on mine. I'd be happy to help, if you have any questions or want to try it, too.

Kelly,Im self taught so I dont know specifically about Riks method. Ive tried the strips, Im sure thats the best way, but I had a hard time keeping the shape of the clay in strip sets. If Im doing a really large roof like the Pierce, I did some strips

but mostly I just do mine one at a time. Put a dollop of wood glue on a piece of wax paper, work a piece of clay with your hands, press it down flat and I use the width and top of my finger for a guide, with a clay tool just cut out the shape

around my index finger. Depending on the look I want it gets rounded, pointed or squared (with the clay tool) I used all three shapes on my Beacon Hill. Dip the top back section of the sculpted tile in the wood glue then place it on the roof. I

do one line and then babysit it for a few minutes to make sure it doesnt slide. I dont know if Im explaining that very well. Anyway a few things that will help : Paint the roof first the color your shingles will b, because when the clay dries

sometimes there will be seperation between the tiles. When painting them I start with a watery light touch. I let it run and get in all the cracks. Then layer the colors you want. Also important to make sure your doing a uniform thickness of

clay with each tile. After all the tiles Ive made I have muscle memory now, kinda cool ;-)

And P.S. I think you do awesome clay work. You have your own signature style. Hope you like the clay roof, I think it adds an extra dimension and texture youll love.

• Like 2

I love these tips! Thank you all!

Thought I would add, that I just got a digital subscription to Dolls House World magazine and last month's issue has a tutorial by Rik on his paper clay shingles. I think you can even download one issue instead of having to buy the whole subscription.

• Like 1

I ran my paper clay through a pasta machine (30bucks) to get uniform strips, then just scored 3/4 of the way through to make individual shingles. After they have set for a bit I textured/reshaped the shingles to get a less "factory" look.

half scale example is in my Chantilly album, full scale on my Glencroft album.

• Like 1

thank you everyone for your input on this.... I love working with paperclay, and I think it is a pretty forgiving medium to work with. I would LOVE to attend a Rik Pierce class... maybe someday....

Shingles for some reason have me terrified... I really don't know why.... I have certainly gone through enough paperclay by now that I shouldn't be afraid... but.... :(

You are all wonderful.... I tell everyone who sees my little houses that I could never have made it through the first one without all your help.

Hugs ")

• Like 1