greenleaf fairfield dollhouse

vhill30

hi my name is venessa and this is my first dollhouse ive finished all but the shingles and im thinkin about furniture but have no idea what size will work with it. like is 1 in too big or do i use half scale and is there a good site that sells them. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Vanessa! Welcome to the forum.

The Fairfield is a wonderful house. It is half scale. Most mini stores I think sell half scale items, like miniatures.com. There is a pinned topic under General Mini Talk that has lots of half scale info in it.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25922

When you have made 5 posts you can open an album, we'd love to see pictures of your Fairfield!

Hi, Vanessa :wave: I hope you'll introduce yourself to everybody in the Newcomers' Forum. I built two Fairfields, one of them inside out, to be a Bar Harbor summer cottage. I had several rooms of furniture that HBS sold as 1:24 scale (what some people call "half scale" because it's half the dimensions of 1:12 scale). The furniture turned out to be too small, especially once I had made dolls to 1:24 scale; so I made some furniture kits in that scale, and I also reduced some 1:12 scale furniture patterns, and lo! The pieces I made were larger than the HBS furniture AND fit the dolls!

Hi, Vanessa :wave: I hope you'll introduce yourself to everybody in the Newcomers' Forum. I built two Fairfields, one of them inside out, to be a Bar Harbor summer cottage. I had several rooms of furniture that HBS sold as 1:24 scale (what some people call "half scale" because it's half the dimensions of 1:12 scale). The furniture turned out to be too small, especially once I had made dolls to 1:24 scale; so I made some furniture kits in that scale, and I also reduced some 1:12 scale furniture patterns, and lo! The pieces I made were larger than the HBS furniture AND fit the dolls!

yes i think i missed that part (new members) how do you build your own furniture is it hard? im such a newbie and its a lil confusing to me still even though my husband helps me alot. if I were to buy 1 inch scale kits could I reduce them??? thank you so much for your response!

Hi Vanessa! Welcome to the forum.

The Fairfield is a wonderful house. It is half scale. Most mini stores I think sell half scale items, like miniatures.com. There is a pinned topic under General Mini Talk that has lots of half scale info in it.

http://www.greenleaf...showtopic=25922

When you have made 5 posts you can open an album, we'd love to see pictures of your Fairfield!

thank you so much thats great i'd love to share pictures especially considering its my first and ive managed to get this far, not without help though....lol lots of help.... thank goodness my hubby is so handy right hes been helping me alot with the shingles that seems to be hard to me for some reason...

thank you so much thats great i'd love to share pictures especially considering its my first and ive managed to get this far, not without help though....lol lots of help.... thank goodness my hubby is so handy right hes been helping me alot with the shingles that seems to be hard to me for some reason...

Get some brown paper, and make templates of your roof. Glue the shingles to the paper, then apply the paper to the roof. It's easier to do it flat, especially for your first time, and it's easy to trim the angles while they're on the paper.

...how do you build your own furniture
If I'm making up a 1:24 kit in wood I first stain all the parts and let them dry really well (I rarely need to sand anything that small, they're usually lasercut) and then assemble them with minute amounts of carpenter's wood glue applied with the pointy end of a round toothpick. I find my magnetic gluing jig is a big help: http://www.micromark.com/magnetic-gluing-jig-10-1and4-inch-square,7038.html When I reduce a 1:12 pattern I draw the reduced parts onto 1/4" grid graph paper to make new patterns and use them to cut out pieces to glue together:

gallery_8_3404_2177.jpg

if I were to buy 1 inch scale kits could I reduce them???...
You could use the schematics sheet and copy it at 50% to make new pieces, IF the original schematics pieces are the same size as the actual pieces of the kit.
  • Like 1

If I'm making up a 1:24 kit in wood I first stain all the parts and let them dry really well (I rarely need to sand anything that small, they're usually lasercut) and then assemble them with minute amounts of carpenter's wood glue applied with the pointy end of a round toothpick. I find my magnetic gluing jig is a big help: http://www.micromark...quare,7038.html When I reduce a 1:12 pattern I draw the reduced parts onto 1/4" grid graph paper to make new patterns and use them to cut out pieces to glue together:

gallery_8_3404_2177.jpg

You could use the schematics sheet and copy it at 50% to make new pieces, IF the original schematics pieces are the same size as the actual pieces of the kit.

thank you so much this is all so helpful!!!

Holly.......LOVE the hutch!

Vanessa, WELCOME! The Fairfield is high on my wish list. I've built countless dollhouses, kit and scratch built, every scale. I totally admire you for making the Fairfield as your first. It intimidates me. I have a feeling I'm not the only forum member rubbing my hands together in glee saying 'I gotta watch this girl......and I remember when :)'.

Regarding furniture kits.......I love kits. I own a scroll saw and easy cutter and make my own furniture. Somehow, every brand and artist is different. I love the mix of everyones styles and have a ton of fun on ebay watching 'dollhouse kits'. I love kits by ani, which are under the seller name taffy followed by 2 or 3 numbers. I don't remember offhand, like taffy067 or something. Anyway, the kits aren't expensive and I highly recommend trying every one you can. You'll have alot of fun figuring out what kind you like best.

I look forward to your photos.

Get some brown paper, and make templates of your roof. Glue the shingles to the paper, then apply the paper to the roof. It's easier to do it flat, especially for your first time, and it's easy to trim the angles while they're on the paper.

I'm working on my first dollhouse too and I've been very nervous about the shingling process. This is a great idea! Thanks.