LED and 12V bulbs

Broccolianddip

While I was reading through the cir-kit tapewire instruction book, it mentions not mixing LED and bulb lights.

As much as I am one for following instructions, I just wanted to double check there is no way around or something of the sort.

What options are there for using two different types of lights? Would I have to have seperate electrical systems?.

Thanks! (I am starting to lay the tapewire tonight so hopefully my questions of electrical related topics will end soon!)

Brae (and anyone else who has used LEDs with a hardwire system) - I also have a hardware system and am close to being ready to begin running my wires and installing my fixtures.

I would like to put an LED light in each kitchen cabinet (4) and maybe one in the refrigerator. I was thinking of using a candle flame socket and bulb, but I wasn't sure about heat build-up in the cabinets and especially in the refrigerator. I know Audra on this forum has used LEDs in her cabinets and frig, but she used tape wire. I have a PM in to her, but since I am using hardwire I thought it might make a difference.

While I am experienced with dollhouse hardwiring, I know NOTHING about LEDs. What kind should I buy (brand, etc) and where do I get them? The dollhouse shop I visit is run by a great individual, but who does not do miniatures, so I need specifics on what I am looking for, especially if I send my husband to pick them up! Or I could order online.

Do the LEDs have the same type wire that the 12volt doll house fixtures have? How long are the wires on the LEDs? Can they be spliced in order to reach the power strip? Do you put a plug on them like on the regular light fixtures? Do you use one light per plug as with regular dollhouse lights?

Is there a concern about the number of amps in the LEDs (do LEDs even have amps???) in counting amps for the transformer?

Obviously, I need help.

Thanks

Renea

Anyone have an idea why Cirkit advises against using LEDs and regular bulbs?

Renea ... if you telephone the Cir-Kit people, they are very generous about answering the kinds of questions you are asking. Lots of folks here have experience, but you can't go wrong in asking the experts!

I've used NovaLyte LEDs and LEDs from Evan Designs. The thing about LEDs is they have a circuit board. With NovaLytes, they are near where the light is emitted. With Evan Designs LEDs, the circuit boards are on the wires. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Evan Designs has LEDs that can run on a 3V battery as well as those that can run on 9V batteries and 12V systems. You just can't use the 3V ones on the higher 9V or 12V systems. But, as I said, I hadn't heard you couldn't mix - maybe that is specific to Cir-Kit?

There's a lot of information on both websites I've linked to, and I am by no means an expert. :) I've just tried both of these and like both of them for different reasons. I've use the recessed can lights, side firing LEDs and single LED bar from Novalyte. I've used the various sizes of LEDs from Evan Designs. It really just depends on what you want to do with which product. I am still learning about it all myself.

I would say that in addition to Cir-Kit, you could definitely talk to the other two companies about your questions. Kathie is right - they are all the best sources since they developed the products.

• Like 1

I emailed Novalyte with questions and am awaiting their reply and I called Evan Designs today and spoke with a gentleman who guided me on which of their lights I should choose to work with my transformer and powerstrips. There are certain LEDs that will work with the transformer, power strips and round wire systems. I've got to spend some time on their website tonight.

I don't understand a lot about LEDs but I am now informed about how they will work for my intended purpose. I now just need to do some measuring in the dollhouse to see which lights will work best best as far as the length of the wires and reaching the areas I want to illuminate. The wires can be spliced onto the hard wire to lengthen them to reach to the power strip.

I have all the other wiring in he dollhouse finally mapped out and thought I was through with staring at the dollhouse and planning the wiring stage and then I decided to investigate the LEDs for the kitchen. Back to the staring and planning again.

Renea

I emailed Novalyte with questions and am awaiting their reply and I called Evan Designs today and spoke with a gentleman who guided me on which of their lights I should choose to work with my transformer and powerstrips. There are certain LEDs that will work with the transformer, power strips and round wire systems. I've got to spend some time on their website tonight.

I don't understand a lot about LEDs but I am now informed about how they will work for my intended purpose. I now just need to do some measuring in the dollhouse to see which lights will work best best as far as the length of the wires and reaching the areas I want to illuminate. The wires can be spliced onto the hard wire to lengthen them to reach to the power strip.

I have all the other wiring in he dollhouse finally mapped out and thought I was through with staring at the dollhouse and planning the wiring stage and then I decided to investigate the LEDs for the kitchen. Back to the staring and planning again.

Renea

Totally understand how you feel! This has happened to me every time I've touched my DH this week.

Anyhoo, I don't have much LED experience myself, but my husband does. As far as I know, you can get different volts and etc. for example I have some chip LED's for my 1/4" scale house that are about 2 V and I'm going to have to put a resistor on them so that they don't get blown up by the power source. Resistors are a messy thing, you have to figure out Ohm's and stuff (and I haven't taken math in a loooooong time!) But I think if you were to use lights less than 12 V LEDs on your system you might need a resistor in there somewhere!

Also, the wiring can be as long as you want if you just buy the LED's lights without wiring and solder your prefered length of wire to them. :)

I am interested to see what other answers come up because I have some 3v LEDs that I wanted to use and I hadn't even thought about this situation until you brought it up! :D

p.s. isn't it funny how building dollhouses prepares you for so many mini trades? We are all mini carpenters, electricians, landscapers....chefs...LOL. Just things we can add to our life resume

• 4 weeks later...

I successfully use combinations of both types of lights. For the LEDs, I use either warm white or bright white (both too white) with a Rosco #3 amber gel over them. They match the warm glow of the incandescent bulbs exactly. I also use a small dimmer for the led circuit so to balance their brightness with the rest of the lights. I can turn them way up too for "inspections." Now to share my big secret.....shhhhhhhhhh. DO NOT buy any LEDs sold for "dollhouses." The price is ridiculous. Search Ebay for "5M LED Warm white non waterproof" and you will see that you can get 15 ft of LED for about 8-12 dollars with FREE shipping from Hong Kong. I have a few hundred feet of it and only paid a pittance. Sometimes you can even get them CHEAPER. They have the LED dimmers too for around 5 bucks. It only cost 25$ to fully light my 20 room RGT showcase! Find the Rosco gels at your local theatrical supply shop. Cheers all.

Dean