Experienced 3d printer and manufacturer, I want to make things for you!

hobie

Hello there,

I am in college studying sustainable manufacturing and have a 3d printer. I have been wondering what possible applications I can apply this to and a friend suggested posting here to see if I could help make parts for anyone's minis. I have Solidworks which allows me to design digital parts to be created, so no worries if you don't know much about that, that's why I'm here! I'm interested to hear your feedback!

Thanks,

Hobie

What sorts of things can you make? I'm asking out of curiosity because I don't really know what types of things your offer would entail. Is it metal? Wood? How small can you go and still be exact? Is it like trim work or railings or furniture parts? This sounds very interesting,

Hey Hobie welcome to the forum!

What printer are you using so I can lookup the specs & skip a ton of questions? I'll probably still have a ton of questions anyway...

Welcome Hobie! What a nice offer! I love 3D printers. Working in high schools, I get to see them from time to time, and the things that the students create with them. Really neat. I admit I have thought about asking a teacher to have a class make me stuff! :)

Kynne, 3D printers "print" out models of things, using a special compound, that is plastic. At least the ones that we have here, the plastic is kind of brittle, so you would have to think about your application of the mini (or whatever) that you would create. Maybe different printers use different compound that is more robust. The ones we have here are for learing to model, so I can see how they might just use the cheapest stuff to learn with.

DH just ordered me one and I intend to use it for things initially like screens and balustrades and other delicate things in designs I like. I can see it for all kinds of things. I will have to learn how to use 3d software since unfortunately there are no patterns I can "dial up" to be used.

Welcome, Hobie.

Thanks for this offer. I am astonished by 3D printers. I think they are magic. And I don't understand them any more than I would understand magic, so I have no idea what they might be able to produce/reproduce. Can you educate me? Explain as you would to a toddler. I might get it then.

I bet there are many people working in 1:24 scale that would love better options for architectural details (crown moulding (dentil, etc.), railings, friezes & appliques). It sounds like this printer might work great for that type of application.