Need some help with Magnolia french doors

So I've been working on the Magnolia for about a month now...this dollhouse building is a lot more complicated than I would have ever thought. I am loving it though, for the most part.

I can't seem to get the french doors to fit together. Are the french door panels supposed to fit side by side in the opening? Mine are quite a bit too big. Do I just need to sand them until they fit? I didn't want to just go ahead and sand and then find out they are supposed to be mounted onto the casings or something. Also, I would love to have them be able to open. I've heard of people using ribbon or chamois etc...what is the best way?

I don't have this particular house but my Garfield has 2nd story french doors.

They are side by side in that one and open out to the balcony.

If I remember correctly the only problem I had was after I had painted them too many times.

The build up of paint made them too tight. I sanded them down from that and they were fine.

Not knowing the kit for sure, but is there a possibility that there are more doors and the ones you have go in a different spot?

Just a thought.

Hopefully someone who has built this one can give you better advice.

You could look the gallery for an album of one and the PM the owner directly to see if you can get your answer.

Good luck !!

Thanks for your reply Selkie. Yes, I have sanded them down and they are fitting nicely now. I'm new to this and so worried about making a big mistake that even though I'm pretty sure I know how things should go I just don't trust my own judgement. Today I'm doing windows...wish me luck lol

I just keep sanding until they fit. You can read all about how I hinge with chamois strips in my section of the Glencroft Construction Blog, since I hinged not only all three doors but all the windows as well.

Hi Wendy, I am building the Magnolia also. I hinged my doors with little hinges, which wasn't easy, but completing all the hinge work before installing the doors and frame as a unit made it easier. I did have to sand down my doors quite a bit since I spackled and painted the edges. You can see my Magnolia progress so far in my blog:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=82

Looking forward to seeing your build progress!

Thanks Holly, I'll check out that blog.

I've already checked out your blog Rbytsdy...you do beautiful work. I love the way you did the sides of the stairs and the little closet under the stairs. And the shelving in the kitchen is a really great idea. I have been taking some pictures along the way but I don't think I can start an album until I have a bunch of posts.

Wendy, the Magnolia was such a fun build! My French doors were too big too. I had to trim them down a little using my hobby knife. I think the others answered your question about the doors opening and closing.

I didn't finish the doors in my Team Magnolia build, since I'm wierd about how I decorate and for the Magnolia blog I was building the bare, undecorated kit. I trimmed and sanded until those pesky doors fit.