Bristol board over plywood as wall?

judithfa

Hello,

In my non-ending search for the "best" way, I have been using lining paper (sometimes) on the walls to make a smooth wall (or ceiling), and then paint it or leave it white. I glue the lining paper with either YES glue or wallpaper paste.

I am now thinking of trying Bristol board. What do I use to glue it to the wall? Do I paint it before or AFTER I glue it to the wall?

I need a non-spray adhesive.

Thanks a bunch,

B)

• 2 weeks later...

I mounted many, many sheets of Bristol board onto illustration boards in art school and plain old white glue works fine. For smaller pieces, I'd usually use glue sticks to minimize mess, but I think white glue works better as long as you don't use too much. (Spread it on thinly, with a small paintbrush, for even application.) Plywood has lots of nooks and crannies for glue to seep into, so it should bond pretty well.

I mounted many, many sheets of Bristol board onto illustration boards in art school and plain old white glue works fine. For smaller pieces, I'd usually use glue sticks to minimize mess, but I think white glue works better as long as you don't use too much. (Spread it on thinly, with a small paintbrush, for even application.) Plywood has lots of nooks and crannies for glue to seep into, so it should bond pretty well.

I found that the thin layer of glue dried up to quickly or maybe I just moved too slowly? Would you recommend watering the glue down a bit?

I was usually gluing smaller pieces, and the thinner the glue was spread the faster it dried, so maybe try a little more glue and see how it goes. Especially if you're gluing anything larger than 8.5x11!

Thanks Anna, yes 22" x 30" sheets. I tried spray-on contact cement but it gets expense & the fumes are unbearable.

How thick is your bristol board? If you seal it first, what about using contact/ rubber cement? That way you want both surfaces dry before you put them together, and sealing the bristol board might keep the solvent in the cement from discoloring it?