Metal Roofs

jas

Have any of you here done one? what did you use? I am thinking of changing my plans from a shingle roof to a metal one. They are becoming quite popular here in Florida.

Thanks!

Thanks for the link it was just what I needed!

Morgan thanks for the reminder of the paper at Michaels, I did see it but was not thinking of changing my roof yet. I do like the shingled look just maybe not for the house I am doing now.

thanks again everyone.

I think I have described how I get the corrugated paper for my roofs, but it's so deeply imbedded in old posts and so easy to do, here goes. Once you have finished assembling the kit (except the roof panels; OK to finish the underside for ceilings) and you're ready to do a tin roof, take the box parts the kit came in into the bathroom and hold one side of each one under the shower to wet it, and gently peel off the top layer of kraft paper to reveal the rippled layer. Lay these aside to dry, With a sharp, new utility knife blade lay the cardboard ripple side down on your cutting mat and lay the roof pieces ceiling side up on top, making sure that the ripples will run top to bottom with the roof, and cut around them. In pencil mark the TOP of the roof panel and the BOTTOM (flat, not rippled side) of the cardboard piece with matching number or letter. Lay the carboard pieces rippled side up and spray them with a silvery aerosol paint, Whilst the panels dry you can go ahead and assemble the roof onto the house. Decide how you want the roof to look (shiny & new, grungy aged, worn aged, etc) and use paint washes, grated chalk pastels, bits of moss, etc, to get the look you want, and when the cardboard panels are dry, glue them into place on the roof.

• Like 1

I will have to come by the corrigated paper by way of Michaels, I never had the box for the house since I bought it from a garage sale. I am thinking of a copper roof, then aged with the green patina. That is the plan at this moment.

I am painting what is really one of those birdhouse type things from Michaels or JoAnns that is going on top of the house, it looks like a widows walk (kind of) there will be no access to it just decortation. I am trying different paint techiques on it.

Have any of you here done one? what did you use? I am thinking of changing my plans from a shingle roof to a metal one. They are becoming quite popular here in Florida. Thanks!

Holly I was for sure thinking (in a good way) that you would point out that they have always been around, just that they are now making a comeback with remodeling and new builds. Once I wrote it It did dawn on me that they have really always been here just they were not that popular for a long time, now they are making a come back. I love the look, the people who bought our old house put one on, the house was built in the 60's during the heyday of the Space program.

My DH might even have some boxes in the attic, he saves almost every box that comes across his path and last summer our son got married and there were liquor boxes to be had he may have saved those, I will be sure to ask him.

Actually in WPB I only saw metal roofs whenever we were out in the rural areas. In town it seemed like most houses either had flat roofs (like ours) that were tarred & graveled, or tiled (the barrel tiles were popular), or else regular shingled roofs.

I love the barrelled roofs, the house I grew up in had the flat roof with the stones. The one we live in now has regular shingles, nothing that adds any wow to the house. We live in a deed restricted neiborhood and so that might explain that.

i saw that you commented on my picture about how I made the metal roof on the art gallery. I live in Florida, too, and I modeled that roof after my neighbors, although, hers is aluminum colored. I just took the shiny cover papers off of magazines and then cut them to size for the roof. Immediately after gluing them to the roof, I used Americana or Folk Art Aged Copper paint with my best brush-nylon or synthetic will give you smoothest results. Then I used 1/8" strip wood to make the ridges and made sure to glue them on about 3/4" apart. Glue one over the seam if you have one! Then, I topped the whole thing with a light coat of Krylon Crystal Clear. :)