I wish I knew where all my mini supplies were

grazhina

I have a studio above my garage. It's inconvenient, the temperature goes below freezing in winter, but it's mine. When my husband retired 5 years ago, I found I had less time to work in there. I was constantly interrupted, by not just my son, but my husband. Then we started New England Miniatures, and I found it harder to get time to go up there, so I started doing more in my basement (my saw and sander are down there anyway), and the sit down work in my dining room. As time went on, I had fewer blocks of free time, and if I did, I just wanted to stretch out in my comfy chair and read a good book or watch a little TV.

Anyway - today I planned on working on a miniature, and I've spent at least an hour looking for a bag of little porcelain bowls I bought 9 months ago. I looked in my dining room cabinets and drawers. I got my sweater and went up to the studio. I went down to the basement. I checked the hall closet. then I remembered that I might have put the bowls in a big black tray with dividers, together with some other mini-stuff, so I went back up to the studio - no dice - only an empty tray. I rechecked the dining room and all the downstairs closets. I looked under the hutch, and under the living room sofa. I looked under the living room table in the corner. I checked the kitchen cabinet where I keep the oddball stuff. I took another look in the basement, then I went up to the guestroom and looked in the closet, under the bed and under the chair. I checked the little set of organizer drawers on my kitchen counter, and the bigger set I keep in the hall. No little bowls.

It's time to start making dinner now. I guess I won't be working on that simple little project idea today after all.

I packed so mini boxesful of my workshop that are out in the garage, plus there's still stuff in my workshop at the other house! WHEN DH gets "our" workshop built (he's sstill looking for a local contractor) I'm going to be unpacking for months!

I'm so sorry, I hate when that happens...really stinks and sort of deflates that creative urge that you started out with.

I've been here and there on the forum fussing about my dungeon/basement. I decided I should quit fussing about it and be happy that I have this large space to work in.

So, that's what I've been doing for three days now - sorting, pushing, pulling, grunting, hauling up and down stairs, cursing, crying and two trips to the hardware stores. I'm nowhere near done but have built some workstations for myself and am determined to make this my sanctuary. It'll probably take me a year. I've sworn that I would go through at least two tubs a week and purge some fabric and other stuff that I have been hoarding and hauling from state to state.

I know though, that even if I get everything nicely organized in it's own little space, I will still be doing the 'mini hunt' for something once in a while. ;)

Oh bother, I feel for you. I really hate that when it happens, it's so frustrating! And then to add insult to injury, you have to come back to real life and make dinner... <_<

Hoping next time you feel creative that you are able to find what you are looking for.

I sympathize. My problem is I can't remember what I have. Maybe a running list would help me.

I tried that. Problem is in keeping it updated. I wasn't dilligent about it, so it became useless.

I sympathize. My problem is I can't remember what I have. Maybe a running list would help me.

I tried that. Problem is in keeping it updated. I wasn't dilligent about it, so it became useless.

I tried that with my freezer in the basement. I'd forget to update the list every time I took something out.

I found a few miniatures I'd forgotten about on a bookshelf in the guest room, but still haven't come across the bowls. They'll show up eventually.

All my stuff is in 3 places, the loft, study and conservatory but what is in which box in which location is often a mystery. I was making plants the other day and needed some plantpots and plant stands. I found a likely looking box in the loft and spent a good hour going through all the little treasures I'd stashed away - and yes I found lots of plant pots and stands but things don't always work out that way so I sympathise. I'd love to have a workroom entirely devoted to minis and often fantasise that I would know exactly where everything was - I may one day get a workroom but I bet the hunting for stuff still goes on.

I just found the bowls. They were in a drawer in the dining room. The reason I didn't find them before was because they were all the way in the back, in the back end of another bag that looked like all it held a warranty or something.

Too bad I don't have time to work on that project now. Oh well.

I have the same problem, and my minis are all in one closet in my living room! I think I posted about losing door knobs and could not find them. Sure enough, they turned up, after I purchased more. I am amply stocked with door knobs now (and I know where they are)!

Glad to know you found your bowls!

I'm SO glad you found them! I have that happen all the time! It's especially annoying when I know I had already looked in the place I finally find whatever it is.

Matt, that's the sure way to find the missing thing you are looking for....I now have four razor saws, about 20 pair of scissors and six Exacto knives. Actually I am happy to have them all....That gives me a better chance of finding them when I need them!

My solution for finding newly bought items is to take them out of the sack immediately when I get home and put them in one of the boxes that I have labeled for various room types....In your case Grazhina, they would probably have been in the kitchen or dining room box. That's if I keep to my rule....I don't always....

Glad the bowls were found! As I recall I did try a list with the freezer. That's why we ended up with 11 packages of sirloin! So I now have plastic bins to put purchases in, one for 1:12 and one for 1:24. When I need something I get to look at all my "treasures". As far as the set of dishes I thought I had, maybe I dreamt ordering the set.

Boy can I relate. I have re purchased a few choice items because I could not find them and BINGO, they appear. Sometimes they appear as I am trying to put away the new item. That is really bad. But, like all of us, we try to keep them in order and somehow they are not where we place them. . . i.e. we think we will be able to find them quickly this way. Good luck to all that are missing things.

There is another miniature dimension where accessories, supplies and muses slip into from time to time but mostly they reappear through the portal randomly.

There is another miniature dimension where accessories, supplies and muses slip into from time to time but mostly they reappear through the portal randomly.

This portal is located in roughly the same dimension as the one the odd socks vanish into somewhere between entering the washing machine & exiting the dryer.
  • Like 1

This portal is located in roughly the same dimension as the one the odd socks vanish into somewhere between entering the washing machine & exiting the dryer.

Must be the same dimension the beckons homework papers ;)

*beckons? did I spell that right? doesn't look right....ah well

Daphne, I thought that the dog ate the homework papers.<G> I know that my cats carry things away all the time. If something looks like a toy to them it is fair game....No portals...just a cat that knows how to open doors and another one that carries things off in his mouth. They work as a tag team....No mystery there.

• Like 1