one wall is a little short?

mybrainhurts

I can't believe I haven't noticed this before now but at least I noticed it during a dry fit and not when I had a glue bottle in my hand.

I knew there were guests coming over today while I was at work so I set the house up in a dry fit so that it would look like I'm actually getting something accomplished. It worked. :)

I noticed, however, that one of the side walls is cut a little too short to fit securely in the support. I don't think that's the right word. Ugh. Long day at work. Anyway, if I push it in so that it sits flush in the wood support on one side, the other side looks like it's between 1/16" and 1/8" too short and there is a gap where it should be reaching and sitting inside the support channel on the other side. This is only at the bottom where it would attach to the foundation. I can make it fit just fine along the top (though I don't have the floors in right now so that may not necessarily be true. Still, I could always sand the edge of the floor back so that it would fit there.

I'm not sure how I can fix this. The floor isn't really able to be changed unless I were going to replace the entire thing. I'm including a photo taken just now so the lighting isn't great but the unpainted part along the side really should be in that groove and it isn't. There is actually light shining through at the bottom of it where it's the worst.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

gallery_14640_5666_50099.jpg

Spackling compound on the outside, baseboard on the inside; I got this all the time with the Dura-Craft houses I built where the walls slid into longframe pieces. The longframes held everything perfectly in dry fit, but when the time came to glue, nothing was plumb or square.

I believe there is wood trim on the outside covering the bottom of the wall to the top of the bricks, right? I have had the same issue with my Heritage. As long as you have enough of the wall connecting to glue it securely, the outer trim will cover the gaps along with the interior baseboard as Holly mentioned. If no part of the wall is touching the floor, you can always add the outer wood trim at this step to have something to glue the wall to. The most important to me would be having it secure in the side connector.

Yeah, I did word that a little weird. The only place it gaps is on the side of the piece, not along the bottom of it. The bottom will indeed be covered by trim and is sitting on the foundation as it should be. It's along the side near the bottom where the gap is the worst and it isn't quite in the side connector.

If a baseboard would be enough for a gap at the bottom, would a small square dowel be enough on the side? I just dont want the house falling apart at some later date because I didn't take the time now to make sure it's secure. :)

Can you shave a little from the side wall (at an angle) to make it fit or will that cause problems on the opposite side of the room? With the close up shot, I can't tell which wall this is and what's on the opposite side. :) Added trim in the corner might look strange on the outside, unless...you ran a gutter pipe down this wall. Again, I can't tell what the overall wall looks like to make a better suggestion.

Here is a better idea of what the house is shaped like. The front bay area leads into the wall I'm fighting with. I've tried wiggling all of the places where the trim is in hopes that some of it's out of place but nothing is giving enough to make a difference.

YVkAC.jpg?1

xR1WL.jpg

Rgj52.jpg

Perhaps those will be a little more clear. :)

I'd thought about trimming the foundation sides down a little to be able to pull that back support piece in just a little but it's pretty much flush with the floor back there so I'm not really sure that's a possibility. You can see how easy the board moves back when I give it a gentle push with a finger.

Okay, so this is the back end of the side wall, where it is all open in the back, right? In the Heritage, the channel trim for the back of the side pieces is cut to fit the wall and sits on top of the floor/foundation. There isn't any corner trim on the foundation, but you can easily add that. Yours might just be assembled differently. I would suggest cutting the channel piece for the wall separate from the foundation trim and setting that on top of the foundation.

Here's the Heritage side wall finished in the back. Does that make sense?

post-4679-0-97928800-1335722121_thumb.jp

I'm so obtuse this week. Who took my brain and left a cheap replacement?! I also missed getting a picture of the back (open) side. Don't I feel dumb. :D

For the record, I can jostle the wood so that the gap is on the other side of the wall but I figured that I'd rather have that gap at the back side of the house rather than up by the front bay. Easier to deal with and all.

I never even considered cutting the foundation piece of trim apart from the wall piece. That would work and if it not being exactly even top to bottom really bugged me, some spackle could fill in.

My thoughts were leaning toward cutting a hole in the floor so that I could run a square dowel all along the side of the channel trim so that there would be something holding the wall there but I like your idea better.

Thank you! I am scheduled to cut trim tonight so I'll add that cut into the mix.

You've saved me from the headache of figuring out something that my mind was just balking at. I appreciate it.