Linfield build

mybrainhurts

• 3 weeks later...

I've been taking my sweet time and rolling along, enjoying the process of this build and all of the new stuff I'm trying out. Last time I posted, I had just finished gluing all of the bricks on the foundation. Once I had painted those and put the front steps in place (still not attached) I realized that I just had to grout them too as I had suspected. The difference between the two was just going to bother me otherwise.

gallery_14640_5666_12378.jpg

gallery_14640_5666_71624.jpg

About now is when I started to get really excited because that meant it was FINALLY time to start gluing walls into place. Then... I stopped thinking for a night. I pulled out the wood glue and went to work.

gallery_14640_5666_7455.jpg

It was two days later after having given the glue plenty of time to really set that I realized my mistake. I'd forgotten that in every single dry fitting that I'd had to put the second set of bay window panels in as well in order to get the support trim to not wobble and go out of place. I tried for 10 minutes to get the second floor in and then the upper bay window panels in before I realized the horror! I was going to have to pry and cut out half of what I'd done in order to have the trim be straight. I am hoping I don't have to do that again for a while because wood glue REALLY HOLDS and trying to cut walls out of channels really had me saying a few magic words. I only had to glue a few pieces of broken trimming, so there is that. :)

gallery_14640_5666_9581.jpg

Finally, several days later than I'd originally intended (haha) I have solid walls. Now it's time to start actually deciding placement of key pieces. Most of the furniture in the photo is placeholders. The bed is from http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/search/label/How%20to%20make%20a%201%20inch%20scale%20shabby%20chic%20bed and isn't quite finished yet. I will need to dress it as well but I am waiting until I have wallpaper and flooring finalized in my head before doing all of that. I still can't get over just how large one inch scale furniture is. It seems that all of the pieces I'd made before from plywood kits were not correct scale.

Now that I'm this far, it's time to start building the pieces of furniture kits that I've been collecting for years. I'm working on the Realife Miniatures Kitchen Kit 191 right now. I'm really not a fan of the stove now that it's assembled and don't have any photos of it. I wish I'd realized before assembly that I'd want the oven window larger because now I'm afraid that I'll break it beyond repair if I try to cut it larger now. The sink/cabinet piece, though, is perfect.

gallery_14640_5666_41180.jpg

This proves that I can't cut straight. It's not too terribly obvious here but was in person. Wood filler to the rescue and now nobody will be able to tell that all of my corners were way off. I think it was off because I had to cut one of the cabinets off the side since it was a little too long for what I needed. Maybe I should have measured three times? Hah.

gallery_14640_5666_62412.jpg

The counter top took some fiddling. I started off too dark with it considering how dark the cabinets would be and didn't want for it to blend in so much since it would lose some of the visual kick. It looks a little splotchy in the photo but I think it looks pretty good in person so this is what I settled on. Varnished the cabinets after this photo with some Delta Ceramcoat Instant Age Varnish which added another layer of brown and made it shine the way the cabinets in my kitchen do. I still need to drop the sink in and attach all of the hardware but I'm procrastinating because I want to do it on a day when my hands aren't shaky so that they'll be relatively straight. :D

gallery_14640_5666_3893.jpg

A lot of holder furniture here and I'm still toying with building an elaborate hood over the stove so the prototype is still on the old stove I'm using as a placeholder. (The one I'm building is always wet from being painted. Am using delta PermEnamel paint and have discovered that you need quite a few layers of it to hide balsa wood grain.)

The short wall will definitely be extended in both directions, out and up. I'll make it match the back of the sink/cabinets so that my eye doesn't latch onto the size difference. I know that it would bug me and I'd redo it so I might as well just do it now and be done with it. :D I'll build a cabinet to go between the refrigerator and the sink as well as some overhead cabinets for over the fridge. I'm just waffling between making it a full closet-type cabinet or having it be an upper and lower since I'm so short on counter space IRL that I'm pushing for more in the dollhouse. Haha. There's already more there than I have here so I'm just nitpicking.

gallery_14640_5666_69455.jpg

Since I like to think ahead, the second floor changes are percolating. The paper is where I'm debating adding the bathroom. It's not a very big space so I'm not sure if I'll do a shower or bathtub. I can't really see making it any wider, though, considering the french doors on the right and the window on the left. The pointed area in the left back will be made into a counter with a false cabinet door at the base (if it's a shower, no base if bath since it would be covered by the bath) since I don't see how I could really use that awkward space otherwise. I'll be thinking about this one for a while, tossing around ideas.

On the left back, you can see where I don't have the little triangle pieces of walls attached yet. The kit pieces just don't fit so I have to make templates and cut some new ones. I'm waiting for a day off to do that so that if I get frustrated, I don't have to go to work and dwell on the magic words it made me create. :)

Thanks Holly. I was pretty geeked about how well they turned out. I actually ended up putting spackle in a baggie and poking a hole in the corner so that I could pipe the grout out like icing. Much much cleaner that way than smearing it on and wiping it off. :)

• 1 year later...

I have a linfield kit that my room mates daughter bought and started to build. The daughter has passed on in an accident and my roommate asked me to try to build the house for her. When I got the box down and went through it to my dissapointment there were no instructions. I see you built one recently is there anyway I could get a copy of the instructions from you.

Hi Mary,If you start a new topic in General Mini Talk you may get quicker results from someone who is still a contributer to the forum. In fact,if you go to the New Member Introductions,that would be even better! So sorry to hear of your roommate's loss. I'm sure someone here will be able to give you building advice or whatever we can do to help. Take care,Kat

Mary - :welcome: to the forum. I see that Kynne (mybrainhurts) hasn't been on line here since last October. You may want to send her a PM (personal message) that will go to her email address, where she's more likely to see it.

I see that Kynne has several progress photos in her Kynne's Linfield gallery; you might use those for reference as you put the house together. :)

Good luck with your project! And yes, as Kat suggested, please do pop over to the New Members Forum and introduce yourself.

I have a linfield kit that my room mates daughter bought and started to build. The daughter has passed on in an accident and my roommate asked me to try to build the house for her. When I got the box down and went through it to my dissapointment there were no instructions. I see you built one recently is there anyway I could get a copy of the instructions from you.

check here

http://gr123.powweb.com/DollhouseWorkshop/instructions.html

Mary, the Linfield's outer walls appear to be single pieces of plywood rather than short pieces of milled plywood put together tongue & groove, like both the previous Dura-Craft kits I've built. Kynne's picture will help, but the instructions are really helpful to assemble ans cut the longframe pieces that hold the walls in place and connect them to the foundation; and assembling the working windows and doors can be a disaster if you arenpt planning to use upgrades.

I purchased the instructions on ebay

My build is paused because some of my support trim pieces are in really bad shape. It discouraged me so I paused the build and then had to move to a place where I just don't have enough room to work on the house right now. ARGH!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the information I recieved the instructions, Thank you Gary. Now I have bigger problems, I wont be able to build the house after all missing to many major parts like all the base floor and supports. Everything on the first 4 parts sheets. So now my questions are can I still purchase these missing pieces? And if so where. Or can I get exact size diagrams and I can purchase the wood and try to make my own pieces.. Or should I just forget about trying to build something that has major piesce missing. I am frustrated now... lol

The company that made this is no longer in business so ordering new parts isn't an option.

You might try to find another kit on Ebay real cheap and scavenge parts from that.

Since you have the schematics, perhaps Kynne or someone else that has one, could measure the parts on the sheets you don't have and send them to you. You could easily cut your own pieces after that. The ones you say are missing are more straightforward to replicate.

Good luck.

Thank you for all the info, I did go on ebay and found another kit cheap, in fact I have now bought 3 doll houses on ebay and so will have a lot of winter projects to do. A local miniature shop said she will sell them for me on consignment so will be able to afford more miniatures.. OH goody...