Just joined this forum...

peggyquade

Hi everyone. My name is Peggy and I live in Shoreline, WA, just north of Seattle. I joined this forum because a very nice woman, Sheila, is letting me complete the Pierce that her mother started many years ago but, because of cancer, she was unable to finish it. It was 90% built when I got it on Saturday, Sept. 2 and now it's complete except for the front porch railings. I'm putting lap siding on the exterior; it would have been very difficult to put the siding on with the porch railings already in place. Today I wired the dollhouse...ran out of tape 3/4 of the way through but so far, so good. Sheila is going to decide on the colors and all the decorating decisions will be made by her, which is fine by me! I am more the builder than the decorator. I, of course, have idease but the final decision is up to Sheila. I'm going to put some nice boards on the porch and I have some strips of hardwood flooring for the inside.

I've built many, many dollhouse in the past 20 years; this Pierce is the biggest I've ever worked on. It's beautiful. I love the U shape...not the standard rectangular shape. I think when I buy a big dollhouse for myself next summer, it will be the Pierce or the Garfield. I just like that everywhere you look is a different angle, something new to look at. I am going to take pictures as I finish this dollhouse, for Sheila to look at and I'll try to post them here as well. I love looking at "in progress" pictures from other people.

I do have a question: Some people wallpaper right onto the walls and some people make a template of a wall out of poster board and wallpaper the board, then attach (glue?) the board to the wall. Could I get some comments on both ways?

Also, any easy way to install those ceiling chandelier adaptors? Working upside down with wires is just so difficult!

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from everyone!

Welcome Peggy! How nice of you to finish your friend's Pierce. I'm sure she'll get years of enjoyment from it!

How exciting you're going to be building your own house! Next summer . . . somehow I think it will make it into your home before then! Once you get bit by the mini-bug all bets are off!! :)

About wallpaper . . . yes, some people wallpaper right onto the walls (like me) and some wallpaper onto posterboard and then attach that to the walls. However, I think they use double-sided tape or something like that, so that the paper is easily detachable later on (like for redecorating or for wiring problems). I'm a sucker for punishment, so I mod-podge the paper on and then if I decide to change it, I wet it down and scrape. The choice is really yours.

About the chandelier adaptor . . . are you using tape wire or round wire? I think you should be able to push the adaptor right into the tape wire . . . not sure about the round wire. I'm sure there will be someone else along shortly to help you out more with this question.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing some of your pictures! :p

Welcome to the forum Peggy!

I always wallpaper right to the walls. I use wallpaper border paste, which you can get at Wal-mart, Home Depot, Lowes, or any hardware store.

If you look in the blogs, and especially the Arthur blogs, you can see how I do wallpaper.

Hi Peggy and welcome. I also wallpapered right to the walls, however there is the problem if something would happen to the tape wire (like I had) you would have to work around the paper and hopefully not destory it.