Success Printing on Transparencies?

SMarieCarlson

I was given an brand new box of transparencies. They are not for inkjet. They say for infrared transparency makers. Has anyone had success printing stained glass windows on transparencies that are not meant for a home printer?

I think I am going to try it. I know it can take a long time for the ink to dry. Maybe I will put some gallery glass on it. and see what happens.

Any thoughts?

I borrowed some transparencies from someone and found out the hard way that they were not for inkjet printers. The ink ran together and would not dry. I tried several settings, but to no avail. I ended up making a quick trip to Office Depot.

I ended up printing out a set of windows. I put gallery glass on it and so far it looks really great. I will post pictures of the final product once it is completely cured. :) I am stoked that it is working sofar! Maybe I will have to make a tutorial.

I would think using Gallery glass and, perhaps, thickened black acrylic paint (I use it straight from the tube with a liner brush for "leading") would give terrific results used on the rough side of transparency film.

Rough side? My transparencies don't have a rough side. I have never even seen any with a rough side. Those seem like they would be the ones that work REALLY well in an ink jet. I would think the ink would stick better.

~~ They have been drying for 24 hours, It is still white in the middle, I suppose where it is thicker. I have never used gallery glass before, does it clear up after the 7 day cure time? Or am I going to be stuck with a white window?

Several weeks ago I tried printing on some transparencies I had laying around, and five days later the ink was still smearing when I touched it. I haven't looked at them lately, maybe it's dry now. :lol: These were leftovers my mom had from her teaching days, I think (for an overhead projector). Glad to hear yours worked better!

I know there are two kinds of transparencies and they are not usually interchangeble. One is for inkjet printers and one is for laser printers. I've just ordered a box for my inkjet printer, but have a few sheets of the others also. Our home office has one laser printer, not used too often, but I did use that to make the plate-glass windows for my Museum of Miniatures. Just printed the words on the transparency and then put it in front of the acrylic window. Worked very well.

post-4286-0-93543200-1328810903_thumb.jp

When I printed on the inkjet transparencies I waited a few days and hit them with a light spray of matte sealer, and when it dried, a second coat. It was for the Laurel bathroom windows, which has gone on to some child, so I don't know how or if it held up.